TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Post delivery decor change

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Majerus, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Majerus

Majerus Member

I ordered my car on July 1 with the pano black interior after debating on whether or not to get carbon fiber. Has anyone changed this after receiving the car ? If so what was the approximate cost.

Thanks!

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I'd love to hear the answer to this too. When I bought my S, the carbon fiber was only available for P85's, so I couldn't get it. 1 month later, they added the option to get carbon fiber regardless of P or non-P. I've always wondered how much it would cost to add the carbon fiber, but have been afraid to ask because I suspect it will be very expensive.

3. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I fear you are right. I'm guessing a 3 or 4 thousand bucks at least.

4. golfski

golfski Member

+1 on wanting to know this. Someone could just call their service center and ask...I think I've used up my good-will at my local SC with other inquiries, but maybe in a couple weeks ;) I am guessing the parts would cost the same given the yacht floor costs the same aftermarket (I think), however the installation might be costly, depending on what it takes to do it. I would think a decent DIY'er could do it themselves, but I haven't seen any good posts on these forums about opening up the dash (yet).

I originally confirmed piano black and tried to change to CF at the last minute but it was too late :(

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That sounds about right. Back when I was ordering someone talked with Tesla about doing this, and I recall it was around $4k. The whole dashboard has to come out, along with the armrest console. Some huge percentage of the cost was labor.

6. Majerus

Majerus Member

That seems like a very poor design. Kinda like the 3g radio being integrated into the screen and not a easily replaceable. (what would have been so hard about putting the radio in the glove box) Ill call St. Louis today and see what they say.

7. flodrab

flodrab Member

here's an option to consider ... I had my mirror bodies wrapped in "carbon fiber", and I think they turned out really good ... don't know if it's possible to do it without removing the dash, but wrapping it would be a fraction of the cost of real CF

mirror.JPG

8. Majerus

Majerus Member

I was thinking the same thing! I should have an answer early next week from Tesla as I reached out to service this afternoon regarding replacements.

9. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Really? How many cars are designed for quick, easy changing of interior trim?? I've never heard of one. 3-4k $ sounds totally appropriate for all the associated labor and materials, particularly for a cosmetic change that is totally unnecessary. I would'nt be surprised they said forget it, a waste of their time. Just do a carbon wrap.

10. ENZA

ENZA Member

actually, most bmw's don't require much effort to change. probably can be done all within an hour. if i were you, i'd stick with what you have until you get tired out of the look before you wrap them... you might change your mind.

11. Majerus

Majerus Member

I have had rather inexpensive vehicles chevrolet, pontiac , dodge and the entire dash assembly can be torn apart in 20 mins. Just looking at the car i see four pieces that would encompass the interior trim.