Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post-delivery fender gap, leather issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took delivery of my MY Performance and some minor issues have taken away some of the initial excitement. Expected close to perfection for the price tag. I never had any build/quality issues with my previous 2020 Model 3, so I am in unchartered territory and hoping to garner input from those who have been in this situation. Has anyone encountered either of the issues below and could comment on the ease of remedy? I do have a service appointment at the Torrance SC next week, but am a little annoyed to hand over my brand new car already.

1. While sitting in traffic and looking at an angle, I noticed a discoloration vs. defect in the leather on the lumbar region of the front passenger side seat. The car is brand new and no one has sat in that seat since delivery. There is nothing on the leather that you can feel when touching the area and basic wiping does not remove the marks. I haven't reached for a more aggressive leather cleaner yet. Has anyone had or seen this issue?

2. Noticeable misalignment between the front driver's side fender that is angled inwards on the back edge. For reference, this is where the front fender meets the front edge of the driver's side door, exposing the leading edge of the door to insults since it is not flush. The misalignment also extends north, but to a lesser degree than at the base. Curious if this will require days at a body shop or an easy fix at the SC.

Seat discoloration 2.jpgSeat discoloration 1.jpgFender gap.jpg

Not sure what anyone on here can tell you other than that you are in the hands of the SC. They should put this right though.
With the leather - that looks like a material defect or it has been damaged somehow and missed during QC. They might just replace the seat for you.

Recently took delivery of my MY Performance and some minor issues have taken away some of the initial excitement. Expected close to perfection for the price tag. I never had any build/quality issues with my previous 2020 Model 3, so I am in unchartered territory and hoping to garner input from those who have been in this situation. Has anyone encountered either of the issues below and could comment on the ease of remedy? I do have a service appointment at the Torrance SC next week, but am a little annoyed to hand over my brand new car already.

1. While sitting in traffic and looking at an angle, I noticed a discoloration vs. defect in the leather on the lumbar region of the front passenger side seat. The car is brand new and no one has sat in that seat since delivery. There is nothing on the leather that you can feel when touching the area and basic wiping does not remove the marks. I haven't reached for a more aggressive leather cleaner yet. Has anyone had or seen this issue?

2. Noticeable misalignment between the front driver's side fender that is angled inwards on the back edge. For reference, this is where the front fender meets the front edge of the driver's side door, exposing the leading edge of the door to insults since it is not flush. The misalignment also extends north, but to a lesser degree than at the base. Curious if this will require days at a body shop or an easy fix at the SC.

View attachment 796326View attachment 796327View attachment 796328
My 2022 MYP had a few panel gaps. One was with lift gate which Tesla said caused them to send the car to a highly rated tesla certified body shop nearby in El Segundo, California named Jack & Jim’s auto collision center. Tesla SC lacked the equipment for lift gate adjustments they said. Took about 1.5 weeks to fix 5 issues. Car came back great. The car sat idle for 3-4 days at body shop since they are busy. Since you are going to Torrance SC, your car would get sent to a more local place, assuming tesla can’t do it themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: ERpharm31
Update: The Torrance SC was able to fix the fender panel gap without having to outsource to a body shape and also correct the seat imperfections (they initially told me the residue is difficult to remove, so often times they'll use a Magic Eraser, but it was explained they used a "heavy duty carpet cleaner" in this instance). The work was quick and done well.

While that that is good news, my fears came true. I was initially hesitant to even approach having the minor fender gap fixed as there was risk inherent to the car being at the service center (e.g. accidental door dings, scratches, etc.). But my search for perfection and that true "brand new, flawless condition" got the best of me. After picking up my car and closely inspecting the exterior before leaving the lot, I went home and immediately vacuumed my driver's side area to clean up debris left over from the service visit. At that point, I noticed a large, deep scratch in my driver's seat leather and a small puncture to the leather on the left edge of the scratch (seen below my nail in the photo). My attempts to get my brand new MYP in flawless condition by fixing quality issues from delivery has now left me with another headache.

Attachments

• Seat damage.jpg
    Seat damage.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 199