Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post delivery help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There:

I was sick, so I couldn't goto my appointment on 12/18/2021 (Saturday). Tesla advisor was so desperate and the made the touch-less delivery with the assurance I would have 100 miles from delivery time to inspect the car and report issues.

I inspected the car yesterday, I found few issues like
1) Panel gaps
2) Wipers don't work
3) There is some kind of a hissing noise once reaching 60 miles
4) The glass in the mirrors "jitter" or "shake" while driving
5) There is some kind of a shaking noise from the doors/windows/mirrors while driving

I reported these issues on 12/19/2021. The Tesla advisor told me I need to book a service appointment to resolve these issues. The earliest appointment, I could get is 01/06/2022. Also, the Tesla advisor is telling me, I could not "Refuse" the car, since delivery is accepted. Also, they are urging me to sign the paperwork for registration provided as part of touch-less delivery.

Question:
1) Is this normal Tesla attitude to customers ?
2) Am I forced now into taking this car with defects ?
3) What is the guarantee they will fix these issues with quality ?
4) Am I overreacting ?
5) Any suggestions for me on how to handle this ?

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Everlast
Hi There:

I was sick, so I couldn't goto my appointment on 12/18/2021 (Saturday). Tesla advisor was so desperate and the made the touch-less delivery with the assurance I would have 100 miles from delivery time to inspect the car and report issues.

I inspected the car yesterday, I found few issues like
1) Panel gaps
2) Wipers don't work
3) There is some kind of a hissing noise once reaching 60 miles
4) The glass in the mirrors "jitter" or "shake" while driving
5) There is some kind of a shaking noise from the doors/windows/mirrors while driving

I reported these issues on 12/19/2021. The Tesla advisor told me I need to book a service appointment to resolve these issues. The earliest appointment, I could get is 01/06/2022. Also, the Tesla advisor is telling me, I could not "Refuse" the car, since delivery is accepted. Also, they are urging me to sign the paperwork for registration provided as part of touch-less delivery.

Question:
1) Is this normal Tesla attitude to customers ?
2) Am I forced now into taking this car with defects ?
3) What is the guarantee they will fix these issues with quality ?
4) Am I overreacting ?
5) Any suggestions for me on how to handle this ?

Thanks for the help!
1 - the quality of Tesla service varies widely. Unfortunately I find your story believable.
2 - I don't know. Personal opinion - you shouldn't be.
3 - all of these issues should be covered by the new car warranty, regardless.
4 - No.
5 - Call the service center again and ask to speak to the manager. Or just drive to the service center. Make sure you take down names and/or get an email address. After your conversation, send an email to the advisor summarizing the conversation so you have documentation.

1) Not normal but also not unusual
2) Not if you didn't sign for it
3) They will fix everything under warranty... it might take time to wait for appt and parts but eventually it will get fixed
4) No
5) I had similar story: got Y delivered with some minor issues (panel gaps, spoiler falling off) and I had to wait about a month for the earliest SC appt. They fixed everything but the spoiler is falling off again and I think I would rather pay and get it fixed 3rd party than waiting for another shoddy install. I kind of expected this before buying it and still happy with the Y.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Re wipers, do the wiper blades activate if you press the button on the left steering wheel stalk for the windshield washer fluid to be applied to the windshield?

Regarding the windshield wipers, if they do not come on when you manually select wiper level 1, 2 or 3 try rebooting the Tesla vehicle. While in Park, press and hold the left and right scroll wheels for ~10 seconds and release. The Tesla screen will go blank and the system will reboot.

The mirror shaking etc. may be due to a wheel that needs re-balancing. You don't have to wait. You can take the Tesla vehicle to any tire service center and have them balance the wheels for minimum cost. Ask if the tire center has a load force balancing machine as that can help resolve difficult wheel and tire balance issues better than a dynamic tire balance machine.

Reactions: carterm2