Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post delivery issue @ Oakvillle service center

CdnElec

Jul 17, 2019
Toronto
Hi all,

Looking for a little wisdom here. I picked up my sr+ August 26th in Oakville. I immediately dropped it off for ppf/ceramic and picked it up again on August 29th.

When I picked it up, I was observing the ppf and ceramic work when I noticed a protrusion (not a dent, but a raise) on the front hood. The hood is double sided with metal in this particular area. I immediately booked a service appointment, which just so happened to be today.

In this area of the hood it is nearly impossible for something to have 'poked at it from below' as the service center claims.

I was offered to 'split the difference' with them for something they I clearly could not have caused. In the end, I left with the work undone and waiting for someone more senior to review the issue, but I am not holding my breath.

During our conversation, I was asked why I didn't notice at delivery, why I didn't follow up with my delivery advisor (met her once, don't remember her name, don't have a card). With all of this, I felt like they were just looking for ways to get out of it. Did I follow their procedure perfectly? I guess not, but no one told me what it was! I did what I thought was preferred and booked an appointment.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how to remedy would be appreciated. I really like Tesla and have been planning on getting the model Y as our next SUV vehicle but this sort of customer service experience definitely makes me think twice. Thanks!

Nomad2006

Jul 25, 2019
Toronto
Did the PPF shop apply PPF/ceramic over this area? Seems odd they wouldn't have mentioned it on a brand new car, as presumably fixing it would mess up the coating?

Having said that when I picked up my car at Oakville (just two days before you) I was told repeatedly there was no need to inspect it before signing as they now had multiple inspection processes in place. Of course I did inspect it anyway, but if I subsequently found something and was asked "why didn't you notice it at delivery?" I would have been pretty pissed off.

Reactions: richyrich

CdnElec

Jul 17, 2019
Toronto
Funny. I asked to see the car before signing too and they said, don't worry everything can be fixed after. It seems everyone there is passing the buck to another department.

Regarding the PPF, it was the installer that pointed it out to me. He did not notice at first either. You really need to see it under the right light with a glare (it's a white car) but once you know it's there you can't ignore it!

Did the PPF shop apply PPF/ceramic over this area? Seems odd they wouldn't have mentioned it on a brand new car, as presumably fixing it would mess up the coating?

Having said that when I picked up my car at Oakville (just two days before you) I was told repeatedly there was no need to inspect it before signing as they now had multiple inspection processes in place. Of course I did inspect it anyway, but if I subsequently found something and was asked "why didn't you notice it at delivery?" I would have been pretty pissed off.

CdnElec

Jul 17, 2019
Toronto
Pardon the dust from around the area. Hard to see but it's a raised bump where the arrow points.
Will take and post after work

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_174111.jpg
    IMG_20190917_174111.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 37

SupraDude

Jun 11, 2019
Fredericton
I could see them fixing things such as panel alignments after delivery has taken place but physical damage is a bit of a stretch. I doubt any car dealer would fix this at their cost unless it was like your 10th car purchase from them. Them agreeing to split it 50/50 seems pretty fair at this point. I'd take that.

• Disagree
Reactions: CdnElec

Chetanh

Jul 29, 2019
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
We got the exact same speech while we took delivery at Oakville. I told the rep he can go inside and get coffee and i will take my time to do the inspection. (well something like that)
We had a small scratch in the back on which they applied touch up paint. I am not happy with the job.
Thinking of opening a service appt for it. I dont think its worth my time to drive to Oakville just for it. It was fixed during delivery so i am assuming they will deal with it whenever i talk to them about it in a reasonable period of time (say 6 months)

• Informative

03DSG

Apr 5, 2016
Ontario
Pardon the dust from around the area. Hard to see but it's a raised bump where the arrow points.

If Tesla fixes it, great. If they don't then maybe try these guys. I've heard they do great work. Its really just a 'reverse dent'. They may need to make a small access hole in the metal hood liner underneath the 'dent'. No harm in getting their opinion. The hood is aluminum if your not aware of that.

Autodent® - Paintless Dent Repair - (905) 751-7282

Last edited:
  • Informative

pcons

M3 AWD+
Jul 5, 2018
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
When they said split the difference, how much are we talking about? TBH you have some accountability here IMHO. Esp since you put down a chunk of change on the ppf and ceramic, you should have gone over it to make sure you arent covering up crap and risk needing to re do the ppf/ceramic. Did they also paint correct? They def should have seen that before and called you. At least then the fix could have been before ppf. That being said, if you are respectful and hold your ground they might bump to 100%.

Who are you dealing with at oakville? Kevin is the service mgr there and was pretty good when I brought my paint issues to them. Took a while, but he was reasonable.

CdnElec

Jul 17, 2019
Toronto
I'm a little surprised at the tone in this conversation. Quite clearly most believe I should be responsible for this damage. As fellow buyers, I would expect more compassion but you are relentless. I hope you never find yourselves in my shoes.

The reality is the excitement of delivery, I am sure I am not the only one to glance over the details. And it took me 3 days to book a service appointment after delivery and it only took me that long because I was without it immediately to get the paint work done. My total time with the car was about 4 hours before I made that appointment.

The most important point to this damage claim is that this was not a 'dent'. If it was a dent, I would not have a leg to stand on because it could have happened 30 seconds after I left the lot. But this is an upward protrusion that could only have been cause at the factor before they pressed the honeycomb layer to the outer hood.

Pcons, Edwin is who I am dealing with but haven't heard anything back since being in there Tuesday. No cost to fix the problem was ever discussed, so I am not sure if it's $100 or $2000 for a new hood. As for noticing it, my ppf installer saw it but only after he was done and under the right light. To my untrained eye, I probably would have never really noticed. But as I said above, once you notice it, you see it ever time after.

When they said split the difference, how much are we talking about? TBH you have some accountability here IMHO. Esp since you put down a chunk of change on the ppf and ceramic, you should have gone over it to make sure you arent covering up crap and risk needing to re do the ppf/ceramic. Did they also paint correct? They def should have seen that before and called you. At least then the fix could have been before ppf. That being said, if you are respectful and hold your ground they might bump to 100%.

Who are you dealing with at oakville? Kevin is the service mgr there and was pretty good when I brought my paint issues to them. Took a while, but he was reasonable.

RSR.M3

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
I'm surprised people are saying this is on you as well. Any other automaker and we'd say no chance. We love this company so much some of us are blinded and siding with them lol. This is clearly an issue from the factory, and they should fix it. I guess the real issue is you put a lot of time and money down on to PPF so you don't even have your 7 day grace period now.

It's a tough one. I guess try to get it done by them by pushing up the ranks as much as you can. Then if not, I guess worst case is a 50/50 split on a hood replacement. (side note, their parts prices are actually fairly reasonable, so maybe it won't cost that much)

Good luck

pcons

M3 AWD+
Jul 5, 2018
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I'm a little surprised at the tone in this conversation. Quite clearly most believe I should be responsible for this damage. As fellow buyers, I would expect more compassion but you are relentless. I hope you never find yourselves in my shoes.

The reality is the excitement of delivery, I am sure I am not the only one to glance over the details. And it took me 3 days to book a service appointment after delivery and it only took me that long because I was without it immediately to get the paint work done. My total time with the car was about 4 hours before I made that appointment.

The most important point to this damage claim is that this was not a 'dent'. If it was a dent, I would not have a leg to stand on because it could have happened 30 seconds after I left the lot. But this is an upward protrusion that could only have been cause at the factor before they pressed the honeycomb layer to the outer hood.

Pcons, Edwin is who I am dealing with but haven't heard anything back since being in there Tuesday. No cost to fix the problem was ever discussed, so I am not sure if it's $100 or $2000 for a new hood. As for noticing it, my ppf installer saw it but only after he was done and under the right light. To my untrained eye, I probably would have never really noticed. But as I said above, once you notice it, you see it ever time after.
My post wasn't intended to be a dismissal of your issue, just advice based off of my experiences at trying to get paint issues dealt with. It took months of back and forth to finally get everything straight in my case. This isn't exclusive to tesla, I've had issues with my other cars that also took a long while to resolve.

The reality is that it takes time for the SC to get approval to authorize a fix/credit, this is why at the end of my post I recommended to stand your ground, but also to be patient. If you were there Tuesday that's not a lot of time for that escalation process to occur. Send a follow up to your advisor and ask that he involve his manager and be sure to point out you want to be reasonable about this.

Be prepared however that they will not likely go beyond replacing the part or repainting it... that's really what I was getting at. My guess is that they wouldn't be replacing the hood anyway, they would pay to have the protrusion pushed back in and then the hood re painted if needed. That would likely be much cheaper than replacing the hood, but it will then be on you to get the PPF/ceramic re done.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC