Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Delivery Issues ... Suggestions needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*** Long Post ***

I picked up a MS 100D inventory car with 316 miles on Aug 6th in Portland, OR. (Yes about a month back). At the time of pickup, we did our due diligence walk around the car & spent about 30 minutes looking for the usual - dings, cracks, scratches, rim rash, panel gasp, etc ... We did find & notify about a windshield crack. Tesla agreed to replace it.

I decided to get the Tesla wrapped & that's when the fun begins. Seriously, now I understand the saying "Ignorance is bliss". AW, back to the story ....

I did not know these guys (vehicle wrap) get booked out. Anyway, I managed to get an app't right after labor day & dropped the car @ 9.30AM. About 10.30AM or so, I get a call from them asking me to come down & see them, since they found anomalies in the paint. The rear bumper, quarter panel, trunk, etc had work done. Possibly the door as well.

I called Tesla & spoke to the '1st level'. I told him of my primary concern: I *knew* i was getting an inventory car with 316 miles. I was told by my sales rep (Washington Square) that the car is as good as new. An inventory car meant it is a demo or floor model or possibly a loaner. But it *is* a brand new car. No accidents, nothing. A brand new car. Simple. (True, now some of you could flame me & use semantics and get into pretzel shaped sizes clarifying what is brand new, new, inventory, etc. Go ahead.)

I asked him, why was I not told about the paint job? Simple right? Nope. He told me he'll check with his boss & get back. And told me to stop working on the wrap & he was sorry about what I was going thru' etc... All the right thing imo. He told me he would call me after speaking to his boss, which he did. During this call & other calls (he had to call me back once or twice more & finally the manager, Sam, called me). I asked them the following:
- Was my car in an accident?
- Why was I not told about the paint job?
- What could they do to set it right?

Their answers were long winded, especially for the first one: First they claimed they did not have access to my records; then they did; there was no paint job done; then they found out there was a paint job that was done & it was within specs. I don't clearly remember, but I think they told me the vehicle was not in an accident. And here's the best part: the manager had the audacity to tell me that since I got an inventory car with a significant price discount (not true especially after the recent reductions in price across the Tesla board), I *needed* to accept it as is. And the 7 day/1000 mile is over anyway.

He then proceeds to tell me to get the car in & they will need to look at it. OK I tell him. I'll get it in ... IF they can give me a resolution time frame; meaning will they resolve my issue within a day/3 days/week/month? Nope & he needed to discuss it with his peers & hence cannot give me a time frame. And besides, according to him, I got a 'good deal' and the return period is over. I then asked him for any compensation for this inconv' & he said he did not see any inconv',since the car is within specs!!!. I had to hang up, since it was almost getting to be an hour between these calls & the wrap guys were waiting on me.

Now seriously, why would Sam bring the pricing up, is beyond me? Is trying to get the best deal a crime & hence the customer needs to accept whatever is thrown at them? I told Sam, the paint job is inconsistent and why would they paint the car if there was no damage? Or at least tell me in good faith, there was a problem and required a paint job. And if there was no major work done to the car, why are my rear quarter panel windows different? Why does the weld near the C pillar shake? The rear windows don't line up to the chrome strip properly either. (The tint guy found this out today.)

I have left VMs to Tesla service & also to my sales rep (I left him one on Tuesday & he has not bothered to call me back.). My call with Sam did not end on the best of notes either, so I'm not sure if there is a solution path there.

I would like to hear your thoughts on what my next steps should be. Here are my options:
a) Let it go & enjoy the car
b) Sell the car & get another brand new Tesla
c) Sell the car & get another MB/BMW
d) Seek an attorney
e) Last but not least, try to work it out with Tesla. (After my call with Sam, I don't think that is an option.).

Once again, sorry for the long post.

P.S: Post wrap & tint, the car looks amazing.

......now some of you could flame me & use semantics and get into pretzel shaped sizes clarifying what is brand new, new, inventory, etc. Go ahead...

To me, new inventory means something is wrong with it and that's why it's still there.

1) Loaner: If it's been used by multiple people, so to me, it's not new anymore. It's only "new" according to the paperwork that the Title has not been registered to a customer. A loaner could get into an accident too. If a collision is minor, Tesla does not have to report it and the records would be still clean.

2) Rejections: The original owner could reject it for various reasons from quality to short of cash... If it's quality, Tesla could correct (or not) the problems and offer it to another customer.

If I were you, I would choose #e) work it out with Tesla and enjoy the car!

I just got a call that my MS is ready for delivery, custom order. I asked about what happens if I am unhappy with the quality for whatever reason and I reject it.... just goes to be an inventory car?? she said yes.

I can reject it, they'll slap my order on another car in production ahead of other orders and get me a replacement asap.

I've seen a lot of Teslas with hazy splotches in the paint... hope I don't have any of those, may be hard to spot on white but my eyes are good.

I just got a call that my MS is ready for delivery, custom order. I asked about what happens if I am unhappy with the quality for whatever reason and I reject it.... just goes to be an inventory car?? she said yes.

I can reject it, they'll slap my order on another car in production ahead of other orders and get me a replacement asap.

I've seen a lot of Teslas with hazy splotches in the paint... hope I don't have any of those, may be hard to spot on white but my eyes are good.

Knowing what I know now, my $0.02/- would be to take a car guy, with a good eye for detail+paint+etc. Let him do the walk through on your behalf. In my case, my wife & are newbies to this & we are used to German quality & never thought $0.02/- about the Tesla being this bad. Especially their nonchalant attitude.

Good luck.

Knowing what I know now, my $0.02/- would be to take a car guy, with a good eye for detail+paint+etc. Let him do the walk through on your behalf. In my case, my wife & are newbies to this & we are used to German quality & never thought $0.02/- about the Tesla being this bad. Especially their nonchalant attitude.

Good luck.

Good thing I am a car guy, I can spot issues a mile a way a millimeter off. Gaps, alignment, fit, finish.... it all has to be there or it's going back to Fremont. I'll keep doing it until I get the car I'm paying for. In the mean time try to get me in to a loner until my car is delivered problem free.

Reactions: PDX_Magesh
Good thing I am a car guy, I can spot issues a mile a way a millimeter off. Gaps, alignment, fit, finish.... it all has to be there or it's going back to Fremont. I'll keep doing it until I get the car I'm paying for.

1st, it isn't likely to go back to Fremont. They will likely either just match it to someone else, or do minor repairs and then match it to someone else.

2nd, You won't just "keep doing that" until you get one you are happy with. After 4 cars one person was told that he had to take the fourth car or they wouldn't match him to a new car and they would cancel his order. And of course the return policy has been updated so that if you return a car you can't order one of the same trim again for 12 months.

...Unsure about lawyers...

You'd better have a very good case as minor damaged brand new cars are not required to be disclosed:

Why You Should Inspect a New Car for Damage Before Buying

How minor? How about this very expensive Ferrari dropped from the carrier:

damagedcar.jpg

1st, it isn't likely to go back to Fremont. They will likely either just match it to someone else, or do minor repairs and then match it to someone else.

2nd, You won't just "keep doing that" until you get one you are happy with. After 4 cars one person was told that he had to take the fourth car or they wouldn't match him to a new car and they would cancel his order. And of course the return policy has been updated so that if you return a car you can't order one of the same trim again for 12 months.

You may be right about cancellations, however this wouldn't be a cancellation it's a rejection, and yes I can reject it until I get a car I want. My order is still active and not cancelled if I reject a shitty car. However I'm very optimistic that this car hopefully is correct and all of this is not even a factor.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You may be right about cancellations, however this wouldn't be a cancellation it's a rejection, and yes I can reject it until I get a car I want. My order is still active and not cancelled if I reject a shitty car. However I'm very optimistic that this car hopefully is correct and all of this is not even a factor.

Did you read what I wrote? On the fourth rejection Tesla said take the fourth car or we are cancelling your order.