Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Delivery Model X Detailing: Why and what?

What kind of post-delivery detailing work was done by the detailer on your Model X

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

Reading the various threads here, I see that so many of you are taking your MX right after delivery to a detailer for additional work.

I am kind of surprised as I have not taken the new cars that I have bought/leased for detailing right after delivery. I hope the community can enlighten some of us as to the motivation for the decision to get the detailing done and also what kind of work did you get done.

Not right after (I want to enjoy my car!) but on 3/31 Merlin is going to OCDetailing for a partial XPEL (all vulnerable areas) and all-over cQuartz while I take a quick trip to SoCal for a contest and then fly to Texas for a contest. That way I don't suffer extended Tesla withdrawal :).

Not right after (I want to enjoy my car!) but on 3/31 Merlin is going to OCDetailing for a partial XPEL (all vulnerable areas) and all-over cQuartz while I take a quick trip to SoCal for a contest and then fly to Texas for a contest. That way I don't suffer extended Tesla withdrawal :).

I'm picking up tomorrow and dropping my X off at Glistening Perfection on Thursday the 24th for a full wrap and cQuatrz as I will be heading out of town for ten days. I also do not want to have an extended time with out my new car while I am in town.

I have a reservation to take mine to OCDetailing shortly after I get it (hope to see Merlin there ). My reasoning is that the newer paints which are lower VOC than older ones are supposed to be softer that those old ones and therefore more likely to be damaged over time. Also, the glossy seat backs look like they're just itching to get scratched up. I intend to have this car for a long time and would like it to look as shiny and fast as it will when I get it.

@pvogel. I also had XPEL and cQuartz v3 completed along with XPEL done on backs of seats. Plan on doing two coats of Hydro next weeks myself. My detailer put cquartz on XPEL even though XPEL didn't recommend it. My Detailer said without it XPEL doesn't last as long and yellows with age.

Who ever asked why have it done?

First XPEL protests paint from rocks pitting the paint. XPEL is self healing. The paint correction is because Tesls isn't doing very good at detailing. Not what you would expect on $160k car. Under intense light you can see scratch markets and swirls from orbital sander. My car had prior damage on left and right fenders and it left small scratches after repair.

Amazing difference after work completed. Backs of seats covered with XPEL as concerned shiny service will get scratched.

Original plan was to take delivery in Mass of us waxed car and take directly to nearby detailer but when delivery had to change to be near my house by truck then TM completed their full prep and I get to enjoy the car for a week before giving it up to the shop for a week.
Xpel because Winter. I ran my last car with just nanocoating and while it helped it look good and clean up very easily there were still rock chips at the end of winter.
Paint correction because there are some swirls, not bad but not perfect.
Opticoat pro because nanocoating is amazing at keeping surfaces shiny and clean.
Haven't decided about seat backs yet, maybe plasti-dip but I understand they have (or will have) Xpel templates for them now.

Where the Xpel helps for chips as it is self healing the CQuartz, OptiCoat or Wax will not. they just keep it shiny longer and make it easier to keep clean. Living at the beach I am going to have to wash it weekly because of the salt residue and insect excretions. With all of the construction in the Orlando area I decided I didn't want to drive it on the highway until I had it coated with Xpel as once you have chips it's too late unless you are going through some additional heavy duty correction. Depending on how bad it may even require repainting. I was lucky my car was delivered via an enclosed vehicle transport. It appears with them trying to get as many done before March 31st they are delivering with open car carriers. Even though I didn't initially realize how bad the paint job was until my Detailer showed me with a multi spectrum multi intensity light. What I paid for the detailing was well worth it. XPEL said you don't have to detail the car if you are going to use XPEL. The detailers I talk to disagree.

It is such a difference the quality of workman ship with the Jaguar vs the Tesla.

I had the seats backs done with the Xpel Kits. My guy said they were hard to apply because of the curvature of the seat backs. After they were done I thought they looked fine but my detailer was not happy with how they came out and is going to redo them at his expense. I also had rest of the interior done with other GTechniq products. If you are going to do any of the work yourself I find the GTechniq products cheaper if you buy it directly from the UK.

• Helpful
Reactions: Riztime
@pvogel. I also had XPEL and cQuartz v3 completed along with XPEL done on backs of seats. Plan on doing two coats of Hydro next weeks myself. My detailer put cquartz on XPEL even though XPEL didn't recommend it. My Detailer said without it XPEL doesn't last as long and yellows with age.

I ended up going with the Xpel in the front and the Crystal Serum everywhere instead of CQuartz. I plan on adding two coats of the GTechniq EXO

I don't plan on taking delivery till April/early May but all this talk of detailing is quite intriguing. Has anyone here ever used Beeds Ceramic coating and can anyone say how it compares to cQuartz? I'd definitely be interested in getting my X detailed soon after taking delivery, preferably as soon as I get it. The two detailers I am familiar with in my area in Miami, one uses Beeds and the other uses cQuartz. I'll be frank I've never had either done to my current S. I usually just get the interior detailed and the exterior waxed. I don't think hubs has done much else either. I would like to start off taking care of the X right from the start though.

Any recommendations for XPEL experts in the Sacramento region? My MX is one of the few slated for delivery between Mar 24-31 timeframe at Rocklin SC.
If you haven't found them yet, all arrows in the Sacramento area for detailing point to APPEARANCE SOLUTIONS. Yelp rating is a straight 5 out of 5 with about 70+ reviews. In business since 2001 and two very recent posts are from a Model X owner in Shingle Springs and a Model S owner from Roseville. Phone is 916.402.9325. Mike is apparently the owner. They also do pick up and delivery back to the house. I'll be calling them shortly myself.