Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post if you actually purchased the EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who actually purchased the EAP? Have seen threads with debates on good deal vs over priced, not worth it, etc.... but curious how many forum members actually got the upgrade. For me it gave me everything I always wanted for road trips without the street driving I don’t need since I only live about 1 mile from work. Did you get it?

I got it, I don't want city auto steer, I feel I am more defensive and there is tons of pot holes where I live out in the country and my performance wheels would be screwed with FSD just driving straight. I originally bought FSD after the sale and cancelled, 8k was too much for the EAP features I wanted. when it dropped in half, I bought it that day. Very happy

Newbie question ....

With EAP do you still need to periodically touch the steering wheel when prompted like auto steer ?

Thx, Ed

You even need to do that with FSD, so yes.

The torque sensor in the steering wheel is the only driver monitoring system active in the car, so as long as a human is required to be paying attention (which is 100% of the time with all L2 driver aid systems) you'll have to do that.

The torque sensor in the steering wheel is the only driver monitoring system active in the car, so as long as a human is required to be paying attention (which is 100% of the time with all L2 driver aid systems) you'll have to do that.

You can
also do anything with either of the two thumb wheels: adjust the volume, speed, skip tracks, etc.

I also purchased as a ladder to FSD. I'm happy with it, but the $5K upgrade to FSD should have been disclosed upfront. I assumed with the $8K FSD ( EAP would be $4k, FSD would be $4k).

I bet simply splitting the difference to $4K would have increased the conversion to FSD. They've created a situation where new EAP folks are less inclined to upgrade further. Paying an extra $1K for splitting the cost.

Having said that, if the FSD subscription monthly price is lower for EAP owners it may end up being a good situation.

Bought it for a road-trip and returned it after.

Just not worth $4k to me and the lane changes were way too slow.
  1. Two days was not enough to fully evaluate EAP (and I say this as someone who is still not sure I made the right decision)
  2. Did you play with any of the adjustments, including lane change speed? The default is really slow and it was the first change I made (and may try out the Mad Max setting)

I also purchased as a ladder to FSD. I'm happy with it, but the $5K upgrade to FSD should have been disclosed upfront. I assumed with the $8K FSD ( EAP would be $4k, FSD would be $4k).

I bet simply splitting the difference to $4K would have increased the conversion to FSD. They've created a situation where new EAP folks are less inclined to upgrade further. Paying an extra $1K for splitting the cost.

Having said that, if the FSD subscription monthly price is lower for EAP owners it may end up being a good situation.

The price of EAP->FSD goes up and down over the last 2 years. It was as low as $2K.

So I said numerous times before I bought my car that I wouldn't be ordering EAP: (some selected examples)

Feb 1, 2018 Review of Model 3 rental
Jul 2, 2018 Still against the idea (1 day away from picking up my car)
Aug 24, 2018 Free trial offer of EAP
Aug 31, 2018 Discount ($5500) for EAP
Sept 27, 2018 Changed my mind and bought it

From before I even test drove the 3 I said I probably would not be getting any automation; EAP or FSD. My reasoning was that I wanted to drive the car, not let the computer do it. I also had a secondary, unvoiced reason in that I wasn't totally convinced that the software was ready for prime time. After the free trial offer, I changed my mind. The $500 discount was part of the reason but the months reading this forum of other owner's experiences with it and my own usage during the trial offer, was enough to convince my that EAP was useful.

1. Two days was not enough to fully evaluate EAP (and I say this as someone who is still not sure I made the right decision)
  2. Did you play with any of the adjustments, including lane change speed? The default is really slow and it was the first change I made (and may try out the Mad Max setting)
1800 miles was plenty of "time" to evaluate EAP, thanks.

Yes, I had it on Mad Max and still initiated the lane change manually about 90% of the time. This was my biggest disappointment.

For me, I just did not see the value:
- It's nice that it changes lanes for you, but I initiated them 90% of the time. Although it is better than without EAP and having to restart AP after every lane change.
- It's nice that it takes highway splits and exits, alleviating any concern about missing them
- Didn't use autopark or summon, and probably wouldn't in real life either.