Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone out there having issues with the trunk being off alignment and making a thump sound on closure? My X trunk does not close nearly as smoothly as my Model S and there is a mild chaffing of the plastic on the underside where it meets the latch. Just curious if anyone else is having similar issues. Is your trunk closure quiet?
Thx

Is anyone out there having issues with the trunk being off alignment and making a thump sound on closure? My X trunk does not close nearly as smoothly as my Model S and there is a mild chaffing of the plastic on the underside where it meets the latch. Just curious if anyone else is having similar issues. Is your trunk closure quiet?
Thx
I've seen someone on this forum say that their trunk was mis-aligned. Not sure where the thread is though.

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up F55 yesterday. It completed manufacturing with-in the last two weeks. My DS said this was the first X they had seen that passed the inspection with no defects - "it's perfect!".

I found two issues though - but not enough to not take delivery after waiting for years.

1) The gap on the trunk is different on each side, although the light cluster below is perfect. I checked three other Xs in the back of the service center and they all had similar alignment gap issues (my S does not).

2) With the Pearl White paint, from certain close angles there is a noticeable difference between the paint on the plastic rear bumper and the aluminum panels. Hard to capture on camera. Does the Pearl White S have the same issue?

View attachment 108716View attachment 108717View attachment 108718
Here it is.

I remember reading about that as well...I do have a slightly larger gap on the right compared to left side that has improved since my last service visit. However, what bugs me more is the audible "thunk" on closure/latching with some irregular chaffing marks now appearing on the plastic hub portion. All in all, small stuff and the service team has been beyond stellar.

I remember reading about that as well...I do have a slightly larger gap on the right compared to left side that has improved since my last service visit. However, what bugs me more is the audible "thunk" on closure/latching with some irregular chaffing marks now appearing on the plastic hub portion. All in all, small stuff and the service team has been beyond stellar.
Did they notice it first or did you point it out to them?

No, I pointed it out to them, but they improved upon it at the last service visit. That said, I'm still hoping for some additional tweaks. After waiting for so long, I know many of us want our cars to be perfect (if there even is such a thing)...but, all in all, I'm thrilled with the car.

February 26, 2016 will be remembered along with the 2015 delivery day of Model X Signature. Tesla Motors Service Center has completed repairs by replacing the rear seat assembly.

The rear seats now fold down!

Tesla was also gracious to replace the one 2nd row seat with the leather bulge. Additional hardware service bulletins were completed as well. The 45 item list is now down to an offset floor panel correction, parcel shelf (a Signature item), a few trim replacements on order and new falcon wing door sensors to replace those that get fooled by the heat of the sun. These will be installed later as Tesla Motors improves and manufactures the parts for the customers who need them.

Thanks to Tesla Motors, the fantastic Tesla Buena Park Service Plus "auto center" and all of the readers of the thread who waited since post #21 for the news of the teenage VIN completion along with complements for a job well done.

Before people who haven't been following along freak out - Mark means the third row seats in his X now fold. That's what "rear" is referring to. Second row is still the same.

Congrats Mark! Enjoy the seats as they were meant to be used!

Maybe it is wishful thinking but the lack of posts from Model X users reporting problems seems much lower than for the initial Model S deliveries.
Certainly a very good sign if true.

Probably some of both, because there are other places where problems get posted and when they do, they get a lot more scrutiny. Like the video posted on Facebook of a faulty FwD seal allowing rain water to spill into the car, that appeared in at least one article which gives the impression that all FwDs leak.

Tesla Model X Falcon Door Lets Water Rush Right On In - VideoTesla Model X Falcon Door Lets Water Rush Right On In - Video - Inside EVs

So I've had my MX for about 10 days - put about 650 miles on it including a 140 mile round trip from NJ to the meetup/ribbon cutting at Tannersville, PA SC today. Car is amazing, particularly on highway trips. Super comfortable, handles great, autopilot is awesome. Have a short list growing including excessive wind noise which I think is coming from deformed seals around the little side windows that we used to call wing vents; 2nd row seats that have a mind of their own, sometimes not moving and tilting all the way forward for 3rd row access; lights on my charge port just went out but the car charges fine and the FWD sensors were false sensing an obstacle that wasn't there but a reset seems to have fixed that and they are working perfectly now.

So I've had my MX for about 10 days - put about 650 miles on it including a 140 mile round trip from NJ to the meetup/ribbon cutting at Tannersville, PA SC today. Car is amazing, particularly on highway trips. Super comfortable, handles great, autopilot is awesome. Have a short list growing including excessive wind noise which I think is coming from deformed seals around the little side windows that we used to call wing vents; 2nd row seats that have a mind of their own, sometimes not moving and tilting all the way forward for 3rd row access; lights on my charge port just went out but the car charges fine and the FWD sensors were false sensing an obstacle that wasn't there but a reset seems to have fixed that and they are working perfectly now.

Good to see you again today in Tannersville. Besides the driver's side 2nd row seat not moving right any more after the last firmware update, I've also noticed that the driver's door doesn't fully open any more if I walk past the door from the front like it has before. Still opens full when approached from the back. Have you seen this also?

Probably some of both, because there are other places where problems get posted and when they do, they get a lot more scrutiny. Like the video posted on Facebook of a faulty FwD seal allowing rain water to spill into the car, that appeared in at least one article which gives the impression that all FwDs leak.

Tesla Model X Falcon Door Lets Water Rush Right On In - VideoTesla Model X Falcon Door Lets Water Rush Right On In - Video - Inside EVs

This video got distributed in a way that was a little unfair to Tesla. There are always people lurking on forums and Facebook waiting for stones to throw at Tesla in any way they can. That said, this is a faulty seal as the OP said on Facebook, but I think other thing that one can do is to treat the glass on top of the door with a product like RainX. Tesla states in the manual not to uses washer fluid containing such a product because they feel it may cause the wipers to streak. Using a non abrasive wax on the paint and RainX on the top glass will help ensure that there is not a lot of water sitting there in the first place. Just use a mist or spray water on the area to test this. Why not make life easier for yourself.

... Besides the driver's side 2nd row seat not moving right any more after the last firmware update, I've also noticed that the driver's door doesn't fully open any more if I walk past the door from the front like it has before. Still opens full when approached from the back. Have you seen this also?
My driver door opens partially the same as the previous software version.

The 2nd row seat does move fully forward or backward with a single press of the "Easy Entry Button". A second press stops the seat. Holding the button will move it as before.

I have had occasions where the easy entry button will only move the seat a short distance. Requires multiple presses. It then resets and works fine.

Good to see you again today in Tannersville. Besides the driver's side 2nd row seat not moving right any more after the last firmware update, I've also noticed that the driver's door doesn't fully open any more if I walk past the door from the front like it has before. Still opens full when approached from the back. Have you seen this also?

Yes I noticed that it was doing that but then I turned off auto-present because it was driving me nuts in the garage. Thanks for inviting me today. We enjoyed it.

UPDATE ON THE CHARGE PORT: So I called the Paramus SC this morning and they said to bring the car right over. They diagnosed it as the charge port door getting out of sync, re-synced it, and the lights came back on and it works perfectly, However, they were concerned about it and ordered a new charge port for me. Fantastic service. They also scheduled a firmware update for me for tonight. I'll report on that in the morning. I hope the honeymoon never ends. Road trip NJ to Richmond, VA this weekend.