Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got mine back after it spent the week at Paramus. Great service - had fun driving the arrest-me-red P85+ loaner for the week. They were great about keeping me updated. A couple of days was waiting for the new door seals. The wind noise seems to be much better. They replaced one of the seals, adjusted a couple of others, had a double sticky foam type tape fix for another but it seems to have worked. Now if i can get them to swap out the Michelins it came with for the Continental All-Seasons we can get rid of the road noise and I'll be a happy camper. They also seem to have fixed the issue I was having with the one-touch middle row having a mind of it's own. It seems to be operating correctly now. One issue that's still open is I occasionally get a brake warning light with notifications that automatic emergency braking is disabled and power assist is reduced (although it's not) which also disables autopilot. It goes away after a few minutes. The factory is aware of it and they are working on a fix to eradicate this known bug in the firmware. Road trip last weekend from North Jersey to Richmond, VA was fantastic. The X is, by far, the best long-haul vehicle I've ever owned - smooth, quiet, except for the tire noise which we'll solve, auto-pilot is great, seats incredibly comfortable. Supercharging worked out great - just a very pleasurable experience. Next up is NJ to Orlando in early April.

"blue liquid discoloration" This is the window washing fluid that blows/flows into that area when washing windshield at highway speed.
I have this same issue of at highway speed where the drivers washer doesn't seem to work well and swishes the upper liquid off the windshield and over into my drivers door window.

I have a thread on the lower area of the driver side not be washed: Lower area of drivers windshield wiper gets no spray

One of the reasons for posting is to let others know they are not alone in having defects or issues with their Model X at delivery. Posting the results of the work at the Service Center will give confidence to those who are concerned. Most of all, I hope that no one accepts a problem that should be made right. Make a list or have the Service Center write down your requests. While some issues may be "normal", there are others that may seem normal, but need attention.

I'm glad to see so many of you having good experiences with Tesla Service - I've also been pleased with the service for my Model S these last 3 years and my experiences with the car prompted my sister-in-law to get a Model X. Unfortunately the quality of the car and the response of Tesla have been horrible. She took delivery of the X three weeks ago and has been able to drive it only for the first 4 days. Since then it's been into Service 3 times and each time she left she hasn't gotten more than a block away before the car dies or misbehaves in a way that is completely unsafe to drive.

At this point the X is back at the Service Center - no idea for how long and she's not sure she will ever trust this X going forward. She is still sold on the X overall and has requested that Tesla replace it with another one since clearly there are major issues with the one she received but to this point nobody from Tesla is talking to them and even the Service Center in Los Angeles isn't returning her calls. I'm really disappointed that they are not getting the same excellent treatment we've all enjoyed. Hopefully someone from Tesla is lurking here and recognizes that this is not how the company should be behaving and reaches out.

It seems unbelievable that so many can have experiences and cars that are clearly on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Something weird is going on with some of the components or people on different shifts of the line or something. How one person (me?) can get a perfect car and your sister is having so many major issues is totally wrong. And I don't hope to move to her side of the aisle either.:eek:

• Informative
Reactions: AlMc
It seems unbelievable that so many can have experiences and cars that are clearly on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Something weird is going on with some of the components or people on different shifts of the line or something. How one person (me?) can get a perfect car and your sister is having so many major issues is totally wrong. And I don't hope to move to her side of the aisle either.:eek:

I don't want to make you feel bad but parts do not discriminate. So if latch problem is a problem for so many people, the chance you will have the same problem is very high. Again it does not mean you will have it, you might be that rare exception that happened to have a good latch. Give you car couple month to test the latch, you might be good for couple month and failed the day after like how @Mark Z has happened to his X. Again please enjoy your car while everything is perfect to your spec. If you do have problem down the road, you can be sure that you are not alone and the SC should be able to fix for you.

I don't want to make you feel bad but parts do not discriminate. So if latch problem is a problem for so many people, the chance you will have the same problem is very high.
I don't know how to quantify how many people the latch issue is affecting, so it's hard to know if it's a design failure - which would indicate that we'll all deal with an issue at some point - or a manufacturing/installation failure. If the latter, then failure might be more scattered. It doesn't sound like you guys are getting redesigned latches, just replacements. To me that suggests perhaps it's a quality control issue on the manufacturing side.

Time will certainly clear things up.

I don't know how to quantify how many people the latch issue is affecting, so it's hard to know if it's a design failure - which would indicate that we'll all deal with an issue at some point - or a manufacturing/installation failure. If the latter, then failure might be more scattered. It doesn't sound like you guys are getting redesigned latches, just replacements. To me that suggests perhaps it's a quality control issue on the manufacturing side.

Time will certainly clear things up.

My SC briefly told me the parts i will be getting has a different part number. A number came after the part number that was installed on my car originally. I will get my car back next Tuesday and i will make sure again with the SC. If indeed a different part number, this will most likely indicate a new upgraded latch is created, therefore all older latches might be flawed.

My SC briefly told me the parts i will be getting has a different part number. A number came after the part number that was installed on my car originally. I will get my car back next Tuesday and i will make sure again with the SC. If indeed a different part number, this will most likely indicate a new upgraded latch is created, therefore all older latches might be flawed.

Or it could be that the latches were run through additional testing/QA and re identified as a new part number for tracking purposes.

Or it could be that the latches were run through additional testing/QA and re identified as a new part number for tracking purposes.

This could be a possibility. But i think if they going to create a new part number for something, i am leaning toward a brand new upgraded part rather than just a more detail inspected same part. Same part with more detailed inspection should not go through the hassle and possible confusion for all theirs SCs for future reorders etc.

Same part with more detailed inspection should not go through the hassle and possible confusion for all theirs SCs for future reorders etc.
Actually no. If the original part did not have a certain inspection step, and allowed a defect to get through, and they fixed the manufacturing process but did not change the part, this makes sense. It would not confuse, but actually help the SC. If they saw the new part number they would know it did not have that defect. The original part number may or may not have the defect.

Reactions: dwebb66
Actually no. If the original part did not have a certain inspection step, and allowed a defect to get through, and they fixed the manufacturing process but did not change the part, this makes sense. It would not confuse, but actually help the SC. If they saw the new part number they would know it did not have that defect. The original part number may or may not have the defect.

I will definitely find out by Tuesday! I still don't believe this latch issue can affect this many people and it's not a defective part. Unless something else is causing the problem that we are not aware of. I love Tesla, my X caused me 160K, it's the most expensive version you can possibly get. But I don't want to say "everything is ok" to cover up the real problem if it exists. Again, the door latch might be an isolated problem, it's just hard to believe an isolated problem can affect these many people with such a wide range of Vins.

Again, the door latch might be an isolated problem, it's just hard to believe an isolated problem can affect these many people with such a wide range of Vins.
Hey @ModelXBoy, you keep referring to all of the latch issues. I know of a few from this thread - is there another thread I'm missing that discusses this? I tried searching unsuccessfully. Just trying to get a feel for how many have been failing. Sorry if I'm missing it.

Hey @ModelXBoy, you keep referring to all of the latch issues. I know of a few from this thread - is there another thread I'm missing that discusses this? I tried searching unsuccessfully. Just trying to get a feel for how many have been failing. Sorry if I'm missing it.

Yes, the door issues are mentioned in many threads.

TMC threads:
1. Totally non-responsice FWD
2. Model X - Flawed or Flawless?
3. Tesla X last straw - Open Letter
4. So sad. . .the X is going back to service center :(
5. How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?
6. Model X Still in Beta
7. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...or-close-completely.65928/page-2#post-1431172
8. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/door-alignment-normal.66520/#post-1440428
9. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/help-update-messed-up-right-front-door.66661/
10. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...clicking-sound-passenger-door-no-worky.66480/
11. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/horrible-horrible-and-terrible-day.66202/

Tesla official forum threads:
1. https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/model-x-not-quite-ready-primetime
2. https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/help-update-messed-my-right-front-door
3. https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/totally-non-responsive-fwd
4. https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/how-apply-lemon-car-law-my-model-x
5.https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/buyer-beware-its-model-x-front-doors-are-problem
6. https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/front-door-opens-doesnt-close-how-do-i-reset-sensors

This is the list of some people who were affected by the door problems including myself, @Mark Z @Darryl @Muzzman1 @Drivin @CaliX.

This is no mean a complete list of threads talking about failing front or FWD on the X. There are more threads and more people who are affected as we speak.

At Costa Mesa dealership I have seen couple X owners taking the cars in for door latch problems. I have talked to some of them in the waiting area about the door issues. They all have common latch problems for the door.

This is no mean that Tesla produced a bad car, it's just I don't like people ignoring this issue as this issue has been affect so many people already. We have to face it, and get a solution to fix it. Tesla is a wonderful company but that does not mean their products are problems free. The door issue is a serious issue because it can strand you when you go errand, go road trip, or stuck in a unknown area, drive with your doors open or partially closed is not a good idea.

Finally like i said, if your car is good for now, be happy with it, enjoy every min with it. If your car has problems especially the door problems, do not freak out, there are lots of people who are in the same position. Just take you car in to your local SC and let them fix them.

Thanks
ModelXBoy

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman and AlMc
Thanks, @ModelXBoy, for the thorough list. I want to start by saying I agree there are some issues with the latch hardware. I'm not trying to dispute you on that, and I know you personally are going through these issues. So I am not trying to diminish what you're dealing with.

That said, most of the threads don't have to do with hardware, they are calibration issues. Some are falcon wing doors, some are driver and passenger doors. I took my X back to the service center because of a firmware issue that messed up my falcon wing door. It had nothing to do with hardware. Many of the TMC threads you've listed have the same instance repeated. I also don't think @Drivin has a Model X.

What I'm trying to do is discern how many people have a physical latch issue compared to something software related. I do not see "so many" people with that condition. I do see a lot of us who have had calibration issues. I want to make sure these are separated.

What I'm trying to do is discern how many people have a physical latch issue compared to something software related. I do not see "so many" people with that condition. I do see a lot of us who have had calibration issues. I want to make sure these are separated.

Very well said. I am glad you understand the X very well. The calibration and hardware issues should definitely be separated. Here is the funny thing, my driver door does not latch no matter what you do, but my passenger door latches with re-calibration. The SC will replace both latches just in case. @Darryl was talking about in a thread a while ago stating in order to fix the door completely, the latch has to be replaced. I do believe the calibration and hardware issues might be related. There is no way of finding out until the X is equipped with the updated latch and see what happens.

Something to add: If latch is just calibration issues, but it keeps failing once in a while, this is worse than a latch replacement IMO. I want to completely eliminate the issue rather than "fix myself' once in a while without knowing when, what time the next time the latch will fail to calibrate.

I agree. The handles on my S extend all the time. In fact, we'll have the S and the X in the garage at the same time in a few days and that's going to be annoying if I carry both FOBs.

What I've done for my MS, is I have an "exit" profile setting (where the seat is moved back and steering wheel is moved upward), this enables me to get out of and into the car more easily. On the "exit" setting I've also deselected "auto lock" and "auto present". This allows me to walk about the garage without my car presenting each time. The only down side is when I am in public, say the market or whatever, I either have to lock the car via the fob, or not use the "exit" profile. I suppose another work around is save a "garage" profile.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Marcos
Had another latch issue today. The guys at the SC mentioned that these became worst with the recent update (maybe having the door auto close faster?). At first it was a calibration thing, but today they told me it was likely the hardware this time.

I agree that it's a common problem, many people had been there this week for the latch issue. whether it's hardware or software, Tesla needs to fix this asap and make it a permanent fix. Hope to just visit the SC once a year.

It's unfortunate because besides the doors, everything else has been great. But in the end of the day 3/4 doors have failed in the first 2 weeks, which is a big problem that makes me forget the other amazing parts of the car

Had another latch issue today. The guys at the SC mentioned that these became worst with the recent update (maybe having the door auto close faster?). At first it was a calibration thing, but today they told me it was likely the hardware this time.

I agree that it's a common problem, many people had been there this week for the latch issue. whether it's hardware or software, Tesla needs to fix this asap and make it a permanent fix. Hope to just visit the SC once a year.

It's unfortunate because besides the doors, everything else has been great. But in the end of the day 3/4 doors have failed in the first 2 weeks, which is a big problem that makes me forget the other amazing parts of the car
Sorry to hear this. What's your vin? Curious when you took delivery as well? Have you noticed the windshield issue where some people are reporting ghosting or double vision from other light sources at night through the windshield?