Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wake up people! All model Xs are having door latch problem if installed with older latch parts! Sorry, just to let it out. Lol!

Now back this topic, I almost certain Tesla will come out or already came out an updated latch for the X. The new latch I am getting is the updated latch according to my SC. I will get my car on Tuessay and test the latch. I will, I repeat, I will make sure my door gets permanant fix! Wish me luck!

Reactions: ModelX
Thanks, @ModelXBoy

That said, most of the threads don't have to do with hardware, they are calibration issues. Some are falcon wing doors, some are driver and passenger doors. I took my X back to the service center because of a firmware issue that messed up my falcon wing door. It had nothing to do with hardware.... I want to make sure these are separated.

Exactly! This way when your spouse calls you worried that they can't close the door you can reply "don't worry about it, it isn't hardware, it is a calibration issue"

Yeah, that will make it all ok.

Have you noticed the windshield issue where some people are reporting ghosting or double vision from other light sources at night through the windshield?
I drove the X tonight for a short bit. I was unable to see ghosting, at least none that was obvious to my 40-something year old eyes. Looked perfectly clear from what I could tell. I may not be the best judge. I didn't mention it to Wohmman because I don't want her to obsess about it and ruin her experience.

I drove the X tonight for a short bit. I was unable to see ghosting, at least none that was obvious to my 40-something year old eyes. Looked perfectly clear from what I could tell. I may not be the best judge. I didn't mention it to Wohmman because I don't want her to obsess about it and ruin her experience.

Great news! You can also check by taking a photo

• Funny
Reactions: X Fan
Probably a wise move on your part! Thanks for sharing this.

What I'm trying to do is discern how many people have a physical latch issue compared to something software related. I do not see "so many" people with that condition. I do see a lot of us who have had calibration issues. I want to make sure these are separated.

I had the now infamous door latch issue. Took it in to service center and they claimed it was a calibration issue, got it back to me a couple of hours later. All was working fine! Or it did, for two weeks. Then it happened again. They took the car away, and when I called for a status update today, they told me they had ordered a new latch.

The moral of the story is that today's "calibration" issue may be tomorrow's hardware issue. Or, maybe that calibration can only mask a hardware problem. Seeing so many other people with this problem, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next recall target.

In any case, other than a slight rattle from the right-side of the car (that they're also looking into now), this has been the only problem with my car. Now, watch me furiously knock on wood!

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Have you considered a career in stand up comedy ?

How are the headrests in everyone else's X? If you jiggle them from the bottom, do they "rattle" a bit? I heard one of them rattling while driving down a bumpy road and realized they both did this.
My headrests do not rattle when I jiggle them from the bottom - BUT they do rattle when I grab them on the top and jiggle them side to side. I haven’t heard them rattle at all, probably due to the car having to sway/vibrate side to side to get them to move.

I do have a rattle from the panel under the instrument cluster shade. If I just grab it and squeeze, the rattle stops.

Potentially good news. Got call from service center. They said they installed the new latch and it still wasn't working. So Tesla engineering had them install the latest software update, and THAT fixed the problem. So maybe this is a software problem for everyone after all. Fingers crossed, since that would fix it for everyone.

He was told the new update calibrates the doors differently.

We've had trouble with the ultrasonic sensors on the front end of the car, and I know others have as well. The SC replaced the front sensors but they were still going off. They told us there is a software issue and they believed the next firmware update would address it. Well, last night we got xxx.31 and the sensors didn't give a false positive all day today. /fingerscrossed.

We've had trouble with the ultrasonic sensors on the front end of the car, and I know others have as well. The SC replaced the front sensors but they were still going off. They told us there is a software issue and they believed the next firmware update would address it. Well, last night we got xxx.31 and the sensors didn't give a false positive all day today. /fingerscrossed.
We have had on and off trouble as well with them. It would be great if a software update helped with this, but not at the cost of sensitivity.

Took delivery March 26, MX 90D.
issues:
1. front doors opening and hitting objects and cars as reported by others
2. FWD not sensing distance to ceiling and objects. Actually hit our garage door resulting in a moderately deep scratch. Since then, had to manually stop doors (by tapping black plastic at bottom of FWD) to prevent hitting low ceilings/pipes in parking garages, etc.
3. also having front ultrasonic sensor issue with then going off all the time
4. drivers door had failure on delivery day, but was fixed with reset

Currently at the SC, now 3 days. Have not had any communication or updates except when I called yesterday (still waiting for fix from engineering?) Hoping to get it back soon because I can't wait to drive it again!

We have had on and off trouble as well with them. It would be great if a software update helped with this, but not at the cost of sensitivity.

So far the sensor issues seem to be resolved with the software update. Version xxx.31. We were getting random false positives on the front sensors when nothing was in front of the car. Now it seems to be operating normally--detecting objects as it should and getting correct distances.

1. front doors opening and hitting objects and cars as reported by others
2. FWD not sensing distance to ceiling and objects. Actually hit our garage door resulting in a moderately deep scratch. Since then, had to manually stop doors (by tapping black plastic at bottom of FWD) to prevent hitting low ceilings/pipes in parking garages, etc.

Oh, you mean like this?

ModelX_FalWD_dmg1.jpg

When you park the car, are you seeing the falcon wing door icons greyed out (but not the front doors) in the door controls screen that displays? But you can still open them from the outside from the door handle?

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Sorry to hear this. What's your vin? Curious when you took delivery as well? Have you noticed the windshield issue where some people are reporting ghosting or double vision from other light sources at night through the windshield?

Ghosting/Double-Vision is definitely very real - I can attest! ..and once aware, It's difficult to un-see! It's very unnerving actually, I must admit. All light sources seem prone, but LED ghosting is more vivid as it is brighter, more focused, and distinctly shaped. Very obvious at night and only slightly less obvious during the day. The problem seems to me mitigated somewhat during the day when wearing polarized sun glasses. I don't know if the issue is related to a specific batch of windshields, as some people report not seeing it at all, but I certainly do. I plan to bring this to my SC's attention as soon as I've captured enough photos. There should be a separate thread on this issue, if there isn't one yet - I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks and trying to catch up! I think there is also some discussion on the Model S thread about this, so this may not be just a Model X issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker