Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received delivery on March 28. The following problems were found with our X

1. Window Ghosting/Double vision - Service says they logged the complaint. I will be following up as this is a safety concern.
2. Back spoiler - makes squeaking sound when opening and closing like a creeky door. Sometimes doesn't go down at all.
3. Driver wheel flashing - plastic flashing around wheel well is loose and not flush with car.
4. Paint deformity - Visible pock marks along edge of rear window, might be underlying rivets or weld spots.
5. Loud Wind Noise - Passenger window when fully closed sounds open due to missing foam beneath mirror creating turbulence.
6. Seat recall, 3rd row
7. Driver seat - plastic track covers pop up when seat moves.

When we drove off the lot we noticed some of the problems and we were told someone would call us, they didn't. I followed up a week or so later and took the car in and had it reviewed by a technician who made note of the problems and said they would order the parts and someone would call us. No one called. Three weeks later I followed up and was told the parts are still on order and someone would call us. A few days later my wife drove the vehicle at night and became aware of a severe double image. She called the service center and they said to bring the vehicle down to confirm and that they were replacing windows with this issue. When there, the service tech said they are NOT replacing these windows and said he would file a concern for us. FYI, she's 5'9 and has the seat as low as it will go so, it's not her sitting position and even if it were, it's not acceptable.

I really want to love this car and this company but at this point, what turned out to be a well received birthday present for my wife is turning into a frustrating liability. I am not sure what to make of the refusal to replace the windshield except for perhaps there is no solution.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and ssq
We received delivery on March 28.
1. Window Ghosting/Double vision - Service says they logged the complaint. I will be following up as this is a safety concern.
2. Back spoiler - makes squeaking sound when opening and closing like a creeky door. Sometimes doesn't go down at all.
3. Driver wheel flashing - plastic flashing around wheel well is loose and not flush with car.
4. Paint deformity - Visible pock marks along edge of rear window, might be underlying rivets or weld spots.
5. Loud Wind Noise - Passenger window when fully closed sounds open due to missing foam beneath mirror creating turbulence.
6. Seat recall, 3rd row
7. Driver seat - plastic track covers pop up when seat moves..

1) Welcome to TMC
2) Your problems have been reported by other owners as well and Tesla has addressed them in a "TIMELY" fashion which could understandably be frustrating.
3) You may find answers to the GHOSTING , which you probably may already have visited this thread. Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?
4) Thanks for sharing.

Took delivery of our Model X on April 22. Due to some delivery issues we were given a Model S loaner for about 10 days while the X was first at the body shop and then caught in the 3rd seat recall. Love the X but it has a huge amount of noise coming from the front end. Sound is pretty overwhelming, nothing like the S. It's almost like there's a microphone blasting motor and road noise into the interior. Got a reading of 73db on my phone app. Anybody have a similar issue with noise? Scheduled to go the the SC next week.

Took delivery of our Model X on April 22. Due to some delivery issues we were given a Model S loaner for about 10 days while the X was first at the body shop and then caught in the 3rd seat recall. Love the X but it has a huge amount of noise coming from the front end. Sound is pretty overwhelming, nothing like the S. It's almost like there's a microphone blasting motor and road noise into the interior. Got a reading of 73db on my phone app. Anybody have a similar issue with noise? Scheduled to go the the SC next week.

Yes I also have passenger and driver windows having huge wind noise. Sometimes it's unbearable. I usually roll the window all the way down and all the way up again. Sometimes doing this eliminate the noise. But definitely not a permenant fix. : (

It has now been two weeks. There are no issues with my Model X. Everything works perfectly, and nothing is missing or Mal-aligned.

I respect the right of people to share there opinions, but this thread seems to solicit every minor issue that would normally just be a stop at the Service Center. This thread is merely fodder for trolls and nae sawyers. Unfortunately, the internet provides a means for gripping to people who can do nothing to fix the issue, and encourages "one-up man-ship".

My Car is fine! Well Done Tesla! I enjoy driving my X. Should a small issue arise, I will contact the Service Center.... they can and will fix it. No one here can.

Really? I had a $135K MB 2008 AMG S63, it was nothing but perfection for 5 years.
I agree, this rule seems to be unique to Tesla.

My take on this is that it really depends on what you value. You guys are certainly talking about the standard definition, don't get me wrong. But to me, I'd never pay $135k for a MB AMG S63, despite it being a beautiful machine. I just don't value creature comforts quite as much as I do an electric drivetrain. I'd never spent more than $40k on a vehicle (and it was a van!) before buying the Model S, and now I have an S and an X.

Tesla needs to get better to move forward. The nitty problems that come from early builds are a poor reflection on the company, and very likely aren't indicative of what they want to be. But right now, @Coolcarx kind of has it right. The rule is unique to Tesla because for those of us who put a lot of value on a long range EV with fast charging infrastructure and excellent performance, well, they're it.

It has now been two weeks. There are no issues with my Model X. Everything works perfectly, and nothing is missing or Mal-aligned.

I respect the right of people to share there opinions, but this thread seems to solicit every minor issue that would normally just be a stop at the Service Center. This thread is merely fodder for trolls and nae sawyers. Unfortunately, the internet provides a means for gripping to people who can do nothing to fix the issue, and encourages "one-up man-ship".

My Car is fine! Well Done Tesla! I enjoy driving my X. Should a small issue arise, I will contact the Service Center.... they can and will fix it. No one here can.

Perfection Pictures please ......

Took delivery March 26, MX 90D.
issues:
1. front doors opening and hitting objects and cars as reported by others
2. FWD not sensing distance to ceiling and objects. Actually hit our garage door resulting in a moderately deep scratch. Since then, had to manually stop doors (by tapping black plastic at bottom of FWD) to prevent hitting low ceilings/pipes in parking garages, etc.
3. also having front ultrasonic sensor issue with then going off all the time
4. drivers door had failure on delivery day, but was fixed with reset

Currently at the SC, now 3 days. Have not had any communication or updates except when I called yesterday (still waiting for fix from engineering?) Hoping to get it back soon because I can't wait to drive it again!

UPDATE: A little late, but I've been too busy driving around in our X! Our X was in the SC for 10 days, got it back 10 days ago.
1 and 2: sensors on falcon wing doors replaced. seems to have fixed both issues (front doors do not have sensors). only problem now is trying to get out when the doors only open this much... 20160427_165122 [1460919].jpg . They forgot to repair the scratch. Back on the list for next visit.
3. front ultrasonic sensors working like a charm now!

Reactions: Mark Z