Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fit'n'finish question for people who took delivery of a Model X. Does the top on your car look like the pic I uploaded?
Notice the tough edge on that. It almost seems like they missed placing a rubber lining one the bottom edge like it is on the top edge.
The SC said they looked at several others and they are all exactly the same. They agree it doesn't look nice but they can't do much as it seems the factory is producing like this.
That's how mine looks. It's noticeable when you open the FWD as well, you can see it from inside the cabin. It's on my punch list for the SC - assuming they'll tell me the same as you, but it's good to get it on the record for the time when they're not being produced this way.

Fit'n'finish question for people who took delivery of a Model X. Does the top on your car look like the pic I uploaded?
Notice the tough edge on that. It almost seems like they missed placing a rubber lining one the bottom edge like it is on the top edge.
The SC said they looked at several others and they are all exactly the same. They agree it doesn't look nice but they can't do much as it seems the factory is producing like this.
Yes I have something exactly like that. Luckily I noticed it when I took delivery but the SC said that many cars had this issue but was not a priority fix because it doesn't let water in.

Noticed with the rains over the weekend that the "Rain sensing wipers" do not work at all. No amount of rain will start the wipers. I had the wipers set to both the low and high-sensitivity. Neither worked.
I too tried it this weekend on a number of occasions. It was all light rain but variable. I could not make any sense on how these wipers decided to wipe. Sometimes they were wiping often when the windshield was dry and others it went wipeless for many minutes way past the time it should have wiped.

My X is home again. Fitment of panels and trim is much, much better. Labeled photos below.

New rear seatbacks are in place, among other things. Quite a bit done during this long visit to the SC. Nearly there on all items.

IMG_1886.jpg
IMG_1917.jpg
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg

My X is home again. Fitment of panels and trim is much, much better. Labeled photos below.

New rear seatbacks are in place, among other things. Quite a bit done during this long visit to the SC. Nearly there on all items.

View attachment 176573 View attachment 176574 View attachment 176575 View attachment 176576 View attachment 176577 View attachment 176578

Finally! Now we can get that 1 month review :) Did you ask them about the sunshade when you went for the pickup?

I wouldn't even notice these issues on my X, it took me a while to see the before and after changes

Please refresh again how long your X was out of action at the SC ( taking mine next week)?
I had a long list, including replacement 3rd row seatbacks, replacement 2nd row seat, headliner, and carpet issues - along with what you see in the photos and quite a few more little items. It was at the SC and body shop for 2.5 weeks - one week of that was the body shop.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
After looking at ohmman's fixed pictures I will not even think of asking them to adjust my FWD on the back. Mine is equal or better than that.

To me though they should be able to do better. Perhaps later cars will be absolutely perfect. What we have now is acceptable IMHO.

After looking at ohmman's fixed pictures I will not even think of asking them to adjust my FWD on the back. Mine is equal or better than that.

To me though they should be able to do better. Perhaps later cars will be absolutely perfect. What we have now is acceptable IMHO.

To be honest my X looks worse than ohmman's X before the fix. After the fix the car looks definitely better, but no where near perfect. If using my usual standard, even after the fixes, still not acceptable, still too big of a gap to the end of it. But it's Tesla and they did the best they could, so they barely made in my acceptable standard, and this only applies to Tesla. All other brands with this condition will deem unacceptable. I do believe the new Xs out must be better than the fixed X, those minor gaps are acceptable for early Xs, not acceptable for new Xs IMO.

But it's Tesla and they did the best they could, so they barely made in my acceptable standard, and this only applies to Tesla. All other brands with this condition will deem unacceptable.

Tesla also told this guy it was the best they could do
IMG_4076.jpg
and he is not complaining, come on guys give Tesla a break. (you only gave them $100k+) Model 3 owners will be very happy if Tesla keeps this up.

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin and alleycat
Our Model X is headed back to the SC tomorrow (Monday) after already having spent 16 days there.

This time it is for the front passenger side window being misaligned. It closed with a huge gap on Saturday and went downhill afterwards. I went through the recalibrate sequence a couple of times with help from tech support folks but it did not work. In fact tech support was quite certain that it needs a SC visit. At this point one of the following things happens.
- the window does not respond to the button
- the window goes up but on locking the door, it drops half way down
- the windows stays up but is misaligned so the door does not close.

There we go again!

• Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx
Our Model X is headed back to the SC tomorrow (Monday) after already having spent 16 days there.

This time it is for the front passenger side window being misaligned. It closed with a huge gap on Saturday and went downhill afterwards. I went through the recalibrate sequence a couple of times with help from tech support folks but it did not work. In fact tech support was quite certain that it needs a SC visit. At this point one of the following things happens.
- the window does not respond to the button
- the window goes up but on locking the door, it drops half way down
- the windows stays up but is misaligned so the door does not close.

There we go again!

Oh wow! I hope they give you a loaner. What is your VIN?

Very useful thread. Maybe it's just me but since I would be paying $100k I would surely be extremely attentive and critical of QC issues on my X. I love Tesla and Musk, and I believe being a diligent and fairly demanding customer is one way to make Tesla successful. There is not much room for slack on a $100k vehicle, just like there was no slack for me to earn that $100k, so should be the case for Tesla. Am I being unfair with this?!