Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not seen you for a while on TMC...Were your seats fixed ? hope you get your X back soon...
@SMSMD, I was on an extended business trip to Europe with some rather busy times. Yes the seats were replaced and seem to be working fine except that raising the seats requires a weird sequence that is tough to execute from behind. I mentioned that in the following thread.

3rd Row Seats Replaced: New Unlatching Procedure?

The replacement seats are no longer VIN specific so as long as the SC has them in stock you should be able to get them replaced.

My X is home again. Fitment of panels and trim is much, much better. Labeled photos below.

New rear seatbacks are in place, among other things. Quite a bit done during this long visit to the SC. Nearly there on all items.

View attachment 176573 View attachment 176574 View attachment 176575 View attachment 176576 View attachment 176577 View attachment 176578
I wish these picture were available before picking up my X. I would still have 145k in my pocket. I have all that plus more. It's no fun being in a constant state of negotiation to get what you already thought you had.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and Drivin
Our Model X is headed back to the SC tomorrow (Monday) after already having spent 16 days there.

This time it is for the front passenger side window being misaligned. It closed with a huge gap on Saturday and went downhill afterwards. I went through the recalibrate sequence a couple of times with help from tech support folks but it did not work. In fact tech support was quite certain that it needs a SC visit. At this point one of the following things happens.
- the window does not respond to the button
- the window goes up but on locking the door, it drops half way down
- the windows stays up but is misaligned so the door does not close.

There we go again!
Feel free to use the happiness guarantee or the lemon law to return the car, if someone is not perfectly happy with his or her super expensive lemon. Mr. Musk is on record (in an earnings call) that he is trying to tame the demand for Model X. Consider returning the car as doing him a favor.

Lemon law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NJ Plugin
@X Yes? we cancelled our X order in March for the same reason. There was no way the wife was going to settle for driving a loaner sedan (she hates sedans) knowing there were so many production issues with the X. We both couldn't be happier now with our decision.

Perhaps I should have done the same and waited for my lease to finish on my current MDX. I paid extra to give it up early (last month). As my X was scheduled to arrive last month and now I am still waiting for my X and who knows how long I will be waiting for repairs at the SC

While it's been frustrating to have waited this long (my car is supposedly coming next week- vin 42xx) I guess everything happens for a reason. I just hope I wasn't delayed AND I have some of these same issues as you guys.

Hope
It gets resovled and Tesla hopefully gets its act together. I have no clue how they are going to ramp up to 500k cars in 2 years if they can't even get doors and windows to close properly.

I guess everything happens for a reason.
No it doesn't. What matters is how you handle what you're handed. By your argument, those of us with early deliveries "deserved" them because it happened for a reason. That reason was so you could get a better car. See how that doesn't work?

I don't mean to come off as blunt, but "everything happens for a reason" is a trigger for me. As are most fatalist arguments. Grab the reins and take charge of life - it's invigorating.

No it doesn't. What matters is how you handle what you're handed. By your argument, those of us with early deliveries "deserved" them because it happened for a reason. That reason was so you could get a better car. See how that doesn't work?

I don't mean to come off as blunt, but "everything happens for a reason" is a trigger for me. As are most fatalist arguments. Grab the reins and take charge of life - it's invigorating.

Think of the bright side (well don't think that "bright" since you don't have your sunshade). At least you got some freebies like the active spoiler.

The current production still has undeniable issues that somehow manage to fall into normal specs for Tesla

So the everything happens for a reason wasn't directed at you or anyone else. I'm not wishing a bad car on anyone. Was just reflecting on my own long wait for the X.

Life is plenty invogorating. And I'm enjoying every moment of it.

Carry on

Reactions: ohmman
The only frustration with the monthly repairs is the car that is unavailable and the time consuming effort to drive to and from the service center. It does keep me busy during retirement, but I've got a lot of other tasks that must be completed.

For now, the right decision was holding onto Model S and the Escalade. I'm blessed to have backup vehicles that can be called back into full time enjoyment if the Model X ride vehicle ends up as a permanent attraction at the Lemonland amusement park. Even if Model X works perfectly (and it is much improved) the gradual loosing of taped on weather seals may be a reason to sell sooner than later.

The only frustration with the monthly repairs is the car that is unavailable and the time consuming effort to drive to and from the service center. It does keep me busy during retirement, but I've got a lot of other tasks that must be completed.

For now, the right decision was holding onto Model S and the Escalade. I'm blessed to have backup vehicles that can be called back into full time enjoyment if the Model X ride vehicle ends up as a permanent attraction at the Lemonland amusement park. Even if Model X works perfectly (and it is much improved) the gradual loosing of taped on weather seals may be a reason to sell sooner than later.[/QUOTE]

My worry as well.

Currently, any speed over 40mph creates a loud roar in my cabin and although I expect the SC to successfully fix it this week, seals holding over time is also my biggest concern. With a two hour drive to SC each way (and not fun in late spring/summer when storms are very intense and dangerous crossing Alligator Alley), a successful & non-repeating repair will be the key to my vehicle satisfaction.

Question is whether this is a fatal design flaw or just a product that needs improving. Only time will tell.

Shame of it is that when operating well, the X is hands down the best SUV on the market today.

btw: I also am fortunate in having another X (X5 lease 6 months to run) vehicle to drive while in repairs.....I recommend that if you can swing it, always keep a back up vehicle in place for at least a month while Tesla works out the X hiccups.

Last edited:
In place of the one MX that we would have had, we now have a Model S and a Volvo XC90 T8. While the battery range is only 20 miles, it more than covers my wife's daily commute needs. If she needs to go further than 20 miles in one trip, then the ICE kicks in, being a hybrid. Otherwise, we are all electric 90+% of the time.
I have had some issues with my X but I don't regret for a second buying it. With the way Global warming is increasing anything I can do to reduce my foot print is good. In my house we no longer have ICE vehicles and soon our EV's will be powered by the Sun. Change is difficult which why so many people avoid it especially if it has issues.[/QUOTE

You could have used the money and bought a used Prius and a lot of carbon credits to actually have a significant reduction of your carbon footprint.
It's arguable that that encouraging the viability of a completely electric vehicle company (by purchasing their vehicles) has a more powerful outcome than addressing only one's personal net emissions. If everyone just rode their bikes, then the 400k+ preorders for Model 3 sedans wouldn't exist.

Also, carbon credits/offsets don't really make much progress towards eventual carbon reduction. The consensus on those is that they're of low value.

It's arguable that that encouraging the viability of a completely electric vehicle company (by purchasing their vehicles) has a more powerful outcome than addressing only one's personal net emissions. I

If you do the math on the number of carbon credits you can buy with a used Prius or Leaf rather than a new, much more expensive car, there is no argument about the tradeoff since it goes far beyond even your family's carbon footprint.

BTW, I am fine with people spending the money on cars that make them happy. Just pointing out that if one cares about their carbon footprint, there are a lot better ways to reduce that.