Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
received my model x at the beginning of April (about 2 week ago)
have had the following problems:

broken front passenger door latch (repaired at SC)
a/c system broken - only blowing hot air (just started happening today)

What was your VIN? How is your overall experience with your car? Did you get a sunshade when you took delivery? Is the tint on the panoramic windshield adequate?

Oh, you mean like this?

View attachment 172380

When you park the car, are you seeing the falcon wing door icons greyed out (but not the front doors) in the door controls screen that displays? But you can still open them from the outside from the door handle?

No. All door icons available, none greyed out. See pics of the nice deep scratch!
1461045276553 [675216].jpeg
1461045280096 [675215].jpeg

Also, I have attached pics of of the falcon wing opening in a low garage. I was prepared and physically stopped the door with millimeters to spare as I mentioned in earlier post.

20160410_162609 [675213].jpg
20160410_162657 [675214].jpg

This is the same problem as in the other thread. The single roof-mounted proximity sensor looking straight up tells the car that the ceiling is x meters away. The doors open, knowing this as the distance overhead. However, because the roof mounted sensor didn't see the obstruction, and the doors don't articulate soon enough to detect it, they will hit.

There are a number of solutions but the best one is to include proximity sensors at the roofline in the area of the articulating hinge (where the white paint is in your photos, right below the pipe).

• Informative
Reactions: AlMc
What was your VIN? How is your overall experience with your car? Did you get a sunshade when you took delivery? Is the tint on the panoramic windshield adequate?
VIN: 000488 / i love the car and certainly expected some issues - am a first gen model s owner so i appreciate many of the tech upgrades and upgraded steering column arms (turn signal arm if finally in the right location) / no sunshade / tint is definitely on the light side when california sun is shining directly at you - but the sun visor is adequate for me for now.

VIN: 000488 / i love the car and certainly expected some issues - am a first gen model s owner so i appreciate many of the tech upgrades and upgraded steering column arms (turn signal arm if finally in the right location) / no sunshade / tint is definitely on the light side when california sun is shining directly at you - but the sun visor is adequate for me for now.

Glad you like it! Did your DS provide you with any updated on the status of the sunshade? It should be available soon

I had a little problem with my X today ... out of the blue I got a few error messages:
IMG_5636.jpg

The power steering was out, so Tesla sent a tow truck...

IMG_5637.jpg

Maybe they'll be able to fix the rear seat recall thing while they're at it!
And get the driver window to roll all the way up.
And get the passenger side FWD to close without always thinking there's an obstruction.
And figure out where a piece of plastic that popped off a chair is supposed to go.
And get the autopilot to stop seeing a "ghost car" (that causes it to slam on the brakes) when driving on the 10.
And throw in a ludicrous speed upgrade! :)

I had a little problem with my X today ... out of the blue I got a few error messages:View attachment 173081

View attachment 173080
And get the passenger side FWD to close without always thinking there's an obstruction.
And figure out where a piece of plastic that popped off a chair is supposed to go.
And get the autopilot to stop seeing a "ghost car" (that causes it to slam on the brakes) when driving on the 10.

Welcome to the Forum! Must be an awful first post, what was your VIN and when did you take delivery? I sure hope Tesla fixes it all

Ha, thanks!

517, and I bought it on ebay on March 29th! I believe he took delivery around Feb 5th though.

The plastic thing popped off right away, the door/window issues didn't show up until a week or so in (but actually may have corrected themselves? with a software update?), the ghost car thing I only noticed a few weeks in, and then this whole electical system kaput thing I guess was about 3 weeks in!

I had a little problem with my X today ... out of the blue I got a few error messages:View attachment 173081

View attachment 173080

That might be a 12v battery problem.... when that battery fails it gives all sorts of errors when things aren't actually broken. At least I hope so for your sake.

Had our X for 2 weeks now and it's relatively problem free (knock on wood). Only issues I am noticing is rattle in the fwd when driving, right front passenger door sometimes makes clicking noise for a few seconds after opening as if the motor is trying to do something.

One more issue I am having is when I drive and then come to a stop the sensors in the front show we'd as if something is there and start alarming. As soon as I drive off they stop, then restart when I come to a stop again even if there is nothing in front of me. A reset fixes the issue but it comes back after I park the car and leave then come back and drive again.

Anybody see this before? Suggestions?

The service center told us that the clicking is the door balancing itself--check and see if it does it more when the car is on a slope versus on a flat area.

We had the sensor issues in the front--at first the service center replaced those sensors as they've had instances of too much paint. However, after replacing them it was still happening. Then they told us that there was a firmware fix coming that may resolve it. That night we received xx.31 and we no longer have the front sensors giving false positives. What version are you on?

Ha, thanks!

517, and I bought it on ebay on March 29th! I believe he took delivery around Feb 5th though.

The plastic thing popped off right away, the door/window issues didn't show up until a week or so in (but actually may have corrected themselves? with a software update?), the ghost car thing I only noticed a few weeks in, and then this whole electical system kaput thing I guess was about 3 weeks in!

Sorry to hear about your problems with the X. There is something even more problematic than your current problems you are experiencing, it's your rear bumper stickers. I personally can not take to have anything on my car that make it not clean anymore. You rear bumper stickers are making me claustrophobic. Personally I will never put stickers on my car let along a brand new car. This is just me though. lol!

Glad you like it! Did your DS provide you with any updated on the status of the sunshade? It should be available soon
I actually never met my DS in person. the delivery was a bit of a mess as well - DS told me my vehicle was ready. day before pickup date was told it actually was not ready to go. This after scheduling some relatives from Vancouver to fly in to go to Fremont factory for the pickup and tour. we kept the tour but sadly the vehicle was delayed by another few days. honestly, i didn't realize there was a sunshade option coming!

I actually never met my DS in person. the delivery was a bit of a mess as well - DS told me my vehicle was ready. day before pickup date was told it actually was not ready to go. This after scheduling some relatives from Vancouver to fly in to go to Fremont factory for the pickup and tour. we kept the tour but sadly the vehicle was delayed by another few days. honestly, i didn't realize there was a sunshade option coming!

The sunshade should be mailed to you soon, it is removable like the Model S sunshade for the panoramic roof which is available for purchase at the tesla online shop

Sorry to hear about your problems with the X. There is something even more problematic than your current problems you are experiencing, it's your rear bumper stickers. I personally can not take to have anything on my car that make it not clean anymore. You rear bumper stickers are making me claustrophobic. Personally I will never put stickers on my car let along a brand new car. This is just me though. lol!

Don't worry, you won't have to put bumper stickers on yours; I'm currently driving around orange county with a stack of bumper stickers, looking for Model Xs...

Model X P90D owner here, VIN 00119x. I've really enjoyed the vehicle and have already driven ~1,800 miles since taking delivery on 3/24/16. However, a bunch of small problems that aren't infuriating so much as annoying.
  • Driver door has an attitude – will resist opening when I do so manually from inside the vehicle (like it's saying, "No! I opens the door for you!" While trying to push the door closed).
  • Rear trunk won't close on it's own; with nothing in the trunk and open, I'll press the button to close, and it will get 99% there then fail to latch and re-open and beep at me, angrily. (this is really annoying when I drop the kids off at school, as I have to get out of the "drop off" line to close it manually while getting the evil eye from the traffic guard)
  • Rear trunk opens with the spoiler extended and doesn't account for the additional height that adds, and had crunched the beam in my parking structure at work. Twice (first time, shame on the X; second time, shame on me)
  • Right rear FWD randomly beeps at me on the highway when it's clearly fully closed and secure.
  • Center console is loose and squeaks. I rest my leg on it while driving, and it squeaks and creaks like a cheap aftermarket accessory. The SC has tried to fix it twice by "insulating" it (shoving foam padding inside the housing) but it hasn't worked.
  • The right passenger window won't seal properly. SC tried to fix but made it worse. Brought it back for another shot, and got better, but told the replacement parts are on order and don't know when to expect it.
  • Oh, and have a 7 seat configuration for taking the kids around, but can't use the rear seats due to the latch recall
Come to think of it, I am actually very frustrated about all these small nits in aggregate! Didn't look at them all together until promoted by this post.