Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post locations where you think FSD (beta or not) will fail spectacularly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
As I drive these days, I frequently encounter really poor road designs that sometimes bamboozle humans. And I wonder how the heck is FSD possibly going to make the right call. Here's an example:

If you're driving northbound and want to make a left, look how far back the stop line is on the main street. Can you figure out which left opening to take? Today, I was behind a human driver that took the middle opening. And they suddenly found themselves driving into head-on traffic. They needed to drive forward quite a bit and take the third opening. But to do that, they're essentially driving head on into the southbound people trying to turn left. Note there is no guiding dotted line for the left turners because it'd be impossible to draw both NB and SB without the curves intersecting. Both sides have protected left signals that go green together.

I'd love to see what other weirdness exists out there! What do you think will be near impossible for FSD to execute properly in your area?

As I drive these days, I frequently encounter really poor road designs that sometimes bamboozle humans. And I wonder how the heck is FSD possibly going to make the right call. Here's an example:

If you're driving northbound and want to make a left, look how far back the stop line is on the main street. Can you figure out which left opening to take? Today, I was behind a human driver that took the middle opening. And they suddenly found themselves driving into head-on traffic. They needed to drive forward quite a bit and take the third opening. But to do that, they're essentially driving head on into the southbound people trying to turn left. Note there is no guiding dotted line for the left turners because it'd be impossible to draw both NB and SB without the curves intersecting. Both sides have protected left signals that go green together.

I'd love to see what other weirdness exists out there! What do you think will be near impossible for FSD to execute properly in your area?

FSD might have trouble with this place

David-B-001-768x432.jpg

Navigate on Autopilot frequently tries to send me into bi-directional express lanes that are being used for traffic moving in the opposite direction. Human drivers get digital signs stating that the express lanes are closed and gates are down at each entrance. I’m not sure if the car if the car would see the gate at the last minute and abort the lane change, but I’m not going to find out.

Reactions: gaspi101 and Dan D.

Just imagine what getting out of that situation would do your safety score...

Reactions: gaspi101
hmm, I actually don't know how I feel about this one. Manhattan is just a grid. If it can see the one-way signs, it should be ok. Sure gridlock traffic sucks, but unless you're expecting FSD to weave through it, it will just creep slowly through it. But outside of that area, there are plenty of very weird intersections. I remember bypassing that area via Geo Washington Bridge going southbound on 95, and shortly after I missed a turn. Getting back onto 95 was an interesting free-for-all situation. I wish I remembered exactly where so I can pull it up on the map.

You gotta have some examples on Long Island though, right?

Reactions: gaspi101
hmm, I actually don't know how I feel about this one. Manhattan is just a grid. If it can see the one-way signs, it should be ok. Sure gridlock traffic sucks, but unless you're expecting FSD to weave through it, it will just creep slowly through it. But outside of that area, there are plenty of very weird intersections. I remember bypassing that area via Geo Washington Bridge going southbound on 95, and shortly after I missed a turn. Getting back onto 95 was an interesting free-for-all situation. I wish I remembered exactly where so I can pull it up on the map.

You gotta have some examples on Long Island though, right?
I don't think it's really the street layout that makes Manhattan difficult. One way streets and grid layout shouldn't be a problem. It's more of the other traffic and pedestrians. FSD isn't very assertive and is very hesitant. Manhattan drivers and pedestrians don't really wait for anyone. They'll slip in and take any space they can get. you kind of have to push your way through but I assume FSD beta isn't going to do that. I remember driving through Manhattan I had to squeeze myself into lanes to merge and get to where I needed to go.