Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post lockdown drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I collected my model 3 late September and due to lockdown have driven under 1000 miles. My lease is for 6000 miles per year (in more normal times I commute by train and bike, so my car is a bit of a luxury really).

In my mind this means I am building up a ‘bank’ of miles that I will be able to use when I am able, ie after lockdown, whenever that will be.

Thinking about a trip up to Scotland - have long wanted to climb Suilven, but put off a little previously by its remoteness.

Anyone else planning big trips after lockdown? Dream m3 drive?

Was planning Spa, Belgium then Zandvoort, Netherlands for the Formula 1 in August/September.

I think there's a slim chance of that going ahead this year though, even if the travel is allowed mass gatherings of people will be highly unlikely :(
Yep, last August we had a plan to do 3 GP's in 3 weekendsfor this year, staying over and doing some driving to Switzerland and Italy. but it looks like that may be postponed for another year. Even thought about a trip to the Nordkapp given the easy availability of superchargers in Norway.

Reactions: Medved_77
Slightly off topic but we did a drive from the Midlands to the North coast of Scotland during October just before Nicola locked down for the second time.
Drove clockwise round the NC500 route and loved every minute. Used EV friendly hotels mostly after the Superchargers ran out above Fort William as CPS Rapids fell very short of what was expected even with a card due to being broken, off line or not commissioned and numerous CCS comms failures.
Many hotels allow 13A charging as long as you request it when booking.

• Informative
Reactions: 15Peter20
Road trip from London to Scotland was planned for February. Unlikely to happen now but can be shifted once we know when restrictions are lifted high enough for us to do so. 1500-mile round trip with 11 stops across about 7 days

Last edited:
So what I am hearing then is someone needs to do a freedom of information request to find out if the EU can still get driver details from the DVLA post Brexit for cars caught on speed cameras in the EU :D
No need to do an FOI.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948119/EU-UK_Trade_and_Cooperation_Agreement_24.12.2020.pdf

Page 288. Data on vehicle registrations is still going to be shared. The underlying international law is the EUCARIS Treaty. The co-operation agreement just helps its implementation.

Think I’ll just pay a fine if I get one. The alternative might be a nasty surprise the next time I get to Calais. Data is much better nowadays and I’m not sure we’ll ever have the good old days.

Road trip to from London to Scotland was planned for February. Unlikely to happen now but can be shifted once we know when restrictions are lifted high enough for us to do so. £1500-mile round trip with 11 stops across about 7 days

I recommend being prepared to stray from the NC500 for at least some of the time if going to the far north. Scout out your own options in advance ... there are thousands of miles of great roads! The slight drawback of the recognised routes such as the NC500 is that it channels everyone down the same road/s... sometimes taking away from the wild splendour and creating challenges for those who live on the route and taking potential visitors away from adjacent areas that would be delighted to offer accommodation etc. Excellent that you are planning proper stops en route too. A few days in one area is better than just covering the miles as quickly as possible! Enjoy it when you can :).

I recommend being prepared to stray from the NC500 for at least some of the time if going to the far north. Scout out your own options in advance ... there are thousands of miles of great roads! The slight drawback of the recognised routes such as the NC500 is that it channels everyone down the same road/s... sometimes taking away from the wild splendour and creating challenges for those who live on the route and taking potential visitors away from adjacent areas that would be delighted to offer accommodation etc. Excellent that you are planning proper stops en route too. A few days in one area is better than just covering the miles as quickly as possible! Enjoy it when you can :).

Exactly what we did. We used the guide books to get a feeling of the areas then found some really scenic and off the beaten track roads, especially along the West coast.
Couldn't believe how many camper vans were around in October and they are highly unsuitable for the single track roads!

I was amazed how efficient the car was considering the extremely steep hills we encountered. I think regen put virtually all the energy used going up back in as we came down. :p
The same cannot be said for all the ICE's we met.

Hills however steep are a breeze, especially enjoyable when overtaking a wheezing ICE.