TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Post Photos of Your Exterior Upgrade Here!? :)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ibxspeedracer, May 4, 2014.

1. ibxspeedracer

ibxspeedracer Member

Just thought an a new thread to share photos of exterior upgrades might come in handy for other fellow owners here... I will toss my hat in 1st with the custom addition/installation photos of the Beltronics STI-R Plus and Laser Interceptor. Would love to see how others' upgrades/installations look :love: 2014-05-03 18.13.48.jpg 2014-05-03 16.55.54.jpg 2014-05-03 16.51.53.jpg 2014-05-03 16.56.17.jpg

2. DA808EV

DA808EV Member

Looks like they did a great job with the install. Def worth having.

3. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

cool. perhaps you can demonstrate at one of our next OC meets.

4. ibxspeedracer

ibxspeedracer Member

Love to join in. Maybe you can point me in the right direction!? :)

5. DA808EV

DA808EV Member

Here you go Sean. California
    Hopefully I can make it out to the next meet as well.

6. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Might be a stupid question, but what are these for? Some kind of self parking device? ACC?

7. ibxspeedracer

ibxspeedracer Member

They are counter-measures to radars and laser speed detectors.

8. AustinPowers

Thanks for the info. Strange that these things are legal. Over here, installing (and using) such devices is highly illegal and would cost you your driving licence for good, plus a nasty fine. And for once I tend to agree with this legislation as speed limits normally are there for a purpose, and if not enforcable would lose their effect.

Anyway, safe motoring.

9. Zextraterrestrial

..not legal in CA either, unless laws just changed
    or at least shifters are not legal. just detection is ok

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This install, while attractive, probably compromises the effectiveness of the laser transponder/jammers. The laser guns are aimed at the headlights or license plate. As you appear to have no front plate, the transponders should be located as close to the headlights as possible. Otherwise the effectiveness of the system in defeating the laser beam is seriously compromised. I studied as much of the literature on this as I could before I did my laser jammer install. The result is shown in the photo below.

DSC_3420.jpg

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

is that before or after your lighted T? I'm assuming before, because I dont see the black wrap on the middle chrome bar as well as I dont see your CF wrap on the front apron piece.

12. AustinPowers

If there is no front licence plate, why bother at all? How should the police be able to find out who the car is registered to?
    Over here, front licence plates are mandatory, so speedtraps can be used to identify the owner.

13. ibxspeedracer

ibxspeedracer Member

You're correct. To minimize the risk of getting picked up by a LIDAR you would want it as close as possible to headlights and 6"-9" further placement of mine vs yours is not trivial however considering most operators are about 300-350ft ore more away when from the car when aiming at the headlight, the 6"-9" from that distance away is not as dramatic of a difference. Luckily with this similar placement distance from headlight and without a front lic-plate, I have had only positive results the 6-7 times that on my both SUV and the other sedan that I have this same HP Quad LI installed.

14. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I am looking for pictures of the Model S with Xpel Ultimate on. I would like to see how noticeable or unnoticeable it is. If it makes the color of the car change at all, etc.... I am getting half the car done and I would like to know if you can even tell its on if you weren't looking for it..

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

IMO, no color change and edge detection depends on the quality of your installation/skills of the installer.

16. yobigd20

My guess would be that mostly everyone has their car wrapped. That's how *not* noticeable it is :)

17. yobigd20

I wrapped a portion of my nose cone in 3M Carbin fiber DiNoc and wrapped the chrome piece in black and installed the lighted tesla T (not lit up in photo).

darepemu.jpg

18. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

Well that sounds good and the black is nearly close to the blue Model S I will be getting in. I looked at some pictures online and its pretty stellar all around for darker cars and even the brighter ones!

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

You're right. I've modified so many nose cones (4 in all, with one destroyed in an accident) it's hard to keep track, but given that this photo was taken last summer, there was no lighted T, even in an experimental stage.

20. ibxspeedracer

ibxspeedracer Member

That's what I got on my black P85 (Xpel Ult. complete front) and you cannot tell at all. I also got the OptiCoat on the entirety of MS