Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Pictures of HPWC Installations (Residential and Commercial)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how do you liek the vac? and how did you suspend the ladder like that?

I like having the vac right there with a long hose so I can reach any spot in the car with it still mounted on the wall. That particular vac model isn't great (I think most of the big wet/dry vac brands have similar models that might be better quality), but I use it pretty rarely and it gets the job done. It's also a decent portable shop vac that I can remove from the bracket and carry it around to wherever I need it around the house...

The ladder is mounted with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PM4KPW/

I'd never seen such a simple method of keeping only one breaker on at a time, but this works (I assume, haven't had the inspection yet!) and also would serve as the lockout, as there's a place for a small padlock to keep the 'flipper' from moving when it's set to one side or the other.
Do you know how it is mounted? Does it attach to the breaker, the back of the cover, or just held in place by the cover? You can see the notches in the breakers to allow the metal to fit between the cover and breaker.

Do you know how it is mounted? Does it attach to the breaker, the back of the cover, or just held in place by the cover? You can see the notches in the breakers to allow the metal to fit between the cover and breaker.
Pretty sure it’s held in place by the cover. I’ll see if I can pull the cover and verify this weekend. I know it wasn’t any big deal installing the ‘lockout’ part.

Here is a link to an album on Flickr with a series of photos of my installation. I live in a condo, and my parking space is outdoors. Fortunately I was able to arrange for an electrical service on the outside wall of an adjacent building.

As you can see, I have a separate (100 amp) electrical service and meter for my charging setup. My Wall Connector is on a 50-amp circuit so I can charge at 40 amps. I did not ask the electrician to install more capacity because my car can only charge at 40 amps, and do not expect to get a second EV. And if my spouse or I did get a second EV, we would likely need to share this parking space, because her parking space is not adjacent to the EVSE.

Electric Vehicle Charging Installation at my condo

For more details about the challenges I faced when attempting to install a charging service at my condo, here is my story in detail:
Successful completion of Condo charging installation – Now I can charge at home!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KJD and boaterva
Here is my installation from last month. My panel was already loaded, so they ended up installing a DC60 to power the charger when enough energy is available. For now I have a NEMA-14-50 at the end of it, but once I receive my referral HPWC I will have them install a switch so I can have both the NEMA and the HPWC.

What do you guys think? Any comment? Question? I know barely a thing about electricity, so... :)

I'll post pictures once the HPWC arrives and is installed.

01.jpeg
02.jpeg
03.jpeg
04.jpeg
05.jpeg
06.jpeg
07.jpeg
08.jpeg
09.jpeg
10.jpeg

I didn't want my setup to be viewable by prying eyes. And I wanted to reach beyond my paver driveway that I block off in Winter to prevent Snow Plow from digging it up. So in Winter I have to back in, Summer I can Drive in or Back in.

45767509322_f13a67c8ed_b_d.jpg

30877006517_c6109e4e16_b_d.jpg

45767509742_93d88073a0_b_d.jpg

30877007597_e5e0dc6acc_b_d.jpg

Top right 40 AMP GFCI Breaker
31339849107_a895ab2e8c_b_d.jpg

Reactions: sc123
What kind of sheathing do you have on HPWC cables? I also want to put something on to keep the cable from rubbing on the floor, yet still dissipate heat.

It's 1" split sleeving from Amazon. It comes in 10' lengths. I used black zip ties to hold it on. It's mesh so it won't hold heat yet it protects the cable from being dragged across the driveway and garage floor.

As long as we're showing off, I'd love to share my favorite HPWC installation. It's here at work, DreamWorks Animation in Glendale.

This charger is in the entry turn-around area. It was installed for founder Jeffrey Katzenberg's white Model S, and this was his parking spot. When his Model S was in this spot, we knew he was at the studio.

Since the sale to Comcast two years ago, this spot has remained empty (except for one occasion where I saw a Model S parked there -- no idea whose it was). But as you can see, the wall charger is lit green and still active.

2019-02-13 12.05.11.jpg

There are at least two other wall chargers in the studio parking garage that are now always attached to various Teslas of every model.

2019-02-13 12.07.08.jpg

My own black Model S (named Toothless) is parked around back.

Reactions: RedSafari
I used some of the good ideas I saw earlier here to do mine.

I originally planned to wrap the cord around the HPWC and use the Gecko Toes to just clean up the cabling. But the electrician pointed out that if I centered the HPWC in that corner space, I wouldn't have enough room on the right to store the charge port in the HPWC. So he instead put it off to the left a bit, and I ended up using the Gecko Toes for all of the cable management. I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Also the electrician was very reasonable in terms of providing a 100 amp circuit breaker to the HPWC, so this baby is ready for 80 amps for any future car that can accept it.

HPWC.jpg