Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Pictures of HPWC Installations (Residential and Commercial)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a future owner of a Model X and very likely a Model E, I think it would be helpful to me and others to see pictures of current HPWC installations to help in planning, specifying and documenting to obtain quotes. In my case I'm considering 2 HPWC's with full 100amp. feeds from 2 separate main breaker panels to be able to charge both cars simultaneously if need be. I know it's overkill but so was the 400amp. service and 15.25Kw PV system I put in two years ago and now glad I did.
The only commercial installation I have seen is in the parking garage for the Tesla store in Newport Beach CA where my wife and I test drove a Model S. That installation required a 100amp. disconnect switch near the HPWC I think because it is a commercial location. The same may be true for other business locations and condo and apartment complexes but I am not sure.
Any pictures you could share of residential or commercial installations would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego Service Center:

IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG

That installation required a 100amp. disconnect switch near the HPWC I think because it is a commercial location. The same may be true for other business locations and condo and apartment complexes but I am not sure.
I'm not an expert, but I believe an EVSE that is more than 60 amps or more than 150V above ground must have a disconnect near the unit whether commercial or residential. Even though the HPWC uses 208VAC or 240VAC it's only 120VAC above ground. The high current is what triggers the disconnect requirement.

100 Amp, 240 Volt Supply using #2 AWG Copper THHN

View attachment 43819

#2 is the max rating of those lugs, and as you can see, is REALLY tight. :eek:

I know that Tesla really likes the sexy industrial design look, but using lugs one size larger would have saved a lot of install pain. You or your electrician should be prepared for a wrestling match with #2. I watched my electrician do the wrestling an my primary residence, and I did the wrestling at my second home.

Other choices with reduced pain are to use #3 (harder to find, and sometimes more expensive) or use #4 and a 90A breaker. A 90A breaker still gives you 72A, 49 mph, charging. Where I did the install at my second home, if I had it to do over, I would have used the #4 instead of the #2.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm not an expert, but I believe an EVSE that is more than 60 amps or more than 150V above ground must have a disconnect near the unit whether commercial or residential. Even though the HPWC uses 208VAC or 240VAC it's only 120VAC above ground. The high current is what triggers the disconnect requirement.
It DOES require a disconnect, but the circuit breaker itself can act as the disconnect IF it has a permanent 'lockout' on it.

Here's the code reference:

625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply
equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts
to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed
in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting
means shall be capable of being locked in the open position.
The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting
means shall be installed on or at the switch or
circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall
remain in place with or without the lock installed. Portable
means for adding a lock to the switch or circuit breaker
shall not be permitted.

Readily accessible does not mean 'within site'. The purpose of disconnect switch is to turn off the power for service work. If it's out of site, a lockout would prevent somebody turning the power back on while you're working on the equipment.

Here's an example of a breaker lockout (different brands vary in appearance and operation):

Universal_Circuit_Breaker_Lockout_Device_-_Placement.jpg

Andy (electrical contractor)

Here's a question about a technicality: An HPWC is "electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes". If you were permitting an installation with a 40A or 60A breaker, would you still need the disconnect? The technicality is that the HPWC is rated and capable of exceeding 60A, but the installation is not exceeding the rule threshold.

Here's the code reference:

625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply
equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts
to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed
in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting
means shall be capable of being locked in the open position.
The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting
means shall be installed on or at the switch or
circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall
remain in place with or without the lock installed. Portable
means for adding a lock to the switch or circuit breaker
shall not be permitted.

Andy, I read the last sentence to disallow the portable lock-out that you show, because it can be removed from the breaker.

That said, I've talked to a few inspectors who view provisions for locking the panel door closed while the breaker is open as sufficient for disconnecting means. The wonderful interpretations of AHJ's... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a question about a technicality: An HPWC is "electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes". If you were permitting an installation with a 40A or 60A breaker, would you still need the disconnect? The technicality is that the HPWC is rated and capable of exceeding 60A, but the installation is not exceeding the rule threshold.

You would not need the disconnect because technically, the rating changes when you change the DIP switches on the HPWC.

As the OP I'd like to thank all those who shared their pictures and advice. Since I have so much time on my hands (waiting for the Model S and even longer for the Model X) my OCD kicked into high gear. I just finished installing two HPWC's to supplement the two 14-50 outlets in the garages. I was able to source both HPWC's for $900 each from two people selling them on eBay, new in the box, because they bought them with their Model S order and then decided not to install them. I also sourced two used Square D 3 phase 100 amp. disconnects removed from industrial applications and wired them for single phase 240 volts. These were only $75 each from eBay but retail for $450 each from an electrician or supply house. This allowed me to use 1 AWG copper run in 1 1/4" plastic conduit from each 200 amp. main panel to the disconnect enabling little to no voltage drop in each of the 40 and 45 foot runs respectively. I used 2 AWG copper from the disconnect to the HPWC's and both are set for their full 100 amp. capability. The house has a 400 amp. service so each HPWC is on a separate 200 amp. panel.
I was going to install the working bay (the ones with the lift) HPWC on the wall next to the air compressor until my wife, who is not an engineer like me, suggested I mount it on the lift post in the center of the two bays so it could be used from either parking spot. Once again the old adage: "She may not always be right but she is never wrong" applies big time. What should have been so obvious to me but wasn't is beyond me and I fully admit she got it so right on this one. Just one more reason I love her so.
The installation on the lift post required the fabrication of some mounting brackets for the HPWC so there is no interference with the lifts mechanism. I couldn't help myself with the old gas pump sign just to remind me of the fossil fuel past I came from and am now leaving behind. So now I think we are pretty well set to charge both of the Tesla's to be and any friends and visitors as well.

View attachment 55209View attachment 55210View attachment 55211View attachment 55212View attachment 55213View attachment 55214View attachment 55215

IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Here's my dual HPWC install with a backup 14-50 (just in case something takes out the 'electronic' devices). The interesting thing installed as part of this was a gadget my electrician used to ensure that the subpanel only had either the 100 Amp circuit for the HPWCs, or the 50 Amp circuit for the 14-50 active at one time.

I'd never seen such a simple method of keeping only one breaker on at a time, but this works (I assume, haven't had the inspection yet!) and also would serve as the lockout, as there's a place for a small padlock to keep the 'flipper' from moving when it's set to one side or the other.

Details on the installation: The conduit going up and to the left goes to the main 200 Amp panel; the junction box at the upper right is where the 100 Amp circuit from the subpanel uses three-way taps to break off to feed one of the HPWCs below, and then also goes to the conduit at the top of the junction box to go up over the ceiling to the other HPWC on the other side of the garage. The load-balancing data cable goes between the two HPWCs directly in the same conduit.

(The other 'object' crossing over the conduit is the garage door track.)

Another fact I learned that was interesting is that Tesla Certified Electricians are required to submit photos of their installations back to Tesla to show that everything was done correctly.

I also used the 'Gecko Toes' devices (which I saw elsewhere on TMC) to hold the 25' cables. They work excellently; if you get these (available at Amazon), be sure to get the ones for 'water hoses', and not air hoses or extension cords.

HPWC-install.jpeg

Breaker-detail.jpeg