Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Software Update - Model X non-responsive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I returned home from a holiday break and when I went to charge my Tesla the night of my return, there was a software update waiting for me. So I plugged the vehicle in and accepted the update thinking it would be just a plain jane update, but behold my Model X is now "bricked".

It is unresponsive, with either of my keys. When I walk up to the vehicle no lights turn on, the side mirrors do not come to attention. Doors don't open upon pushing either the key fob buttons or the actual door handles so I have no way to get into the vehicle. Even when speaking to roadside assistance, we tried to unlatch the charge cord (push the trunk button on the key fob while placing it on top of the charge cord port) but it still did not release.

I have called Roadside Assistance several times and have been transferred, twice now, to my local dealer (Buena Park) about sending a mobile tech out to try and re-update the software update manually. It has been over a week now.

Any thoughts of what else I can try myself?

Thanks

, but behold my Model X is now "bricked".

Good news, your X isn't bricked. Only the Roadster can be bricked. Bricked in that case is a term reserved for damaging the main pack by letting it get to 0% charge and having to buy a new pack. Your X can be fixed without paying tens of thousands of dollars for a new pack so it isn't bricked.

edit: I'd totally be all over a manager or executive escalation though. No way I'd wait a week for them to get hands on it. Anything more than a couple days without a good explanation from Tesla and I'd be wondering if they realize the vehicle is undrivable.

Last edited:
I returned home from a holiday break and when I went to charge my Tesla the night of my return, there was a software update waiting for me. So I plugged the vehicle in and accepted the update thinking it would be just a plain jane update, but behold my Model X is now "bricked".

It is unresponsive, with either of my keys. When I walk up to the vehicle no lights turn on, the side mirrors do not come to attention. Doors don't open upon pushing either the key fob buttons or the actual door handles so I have no way to get into the vehicle. Even when speaking to roadside assistance, we tried to unlatch the charge cord (push the trunk button on the key fob while placing it on top of the charge cord port) but it still did not release.

I have called Roadside Assistance several times and have been transferred, twice now, to my local dealer (Buena Park) about sending a mobile tech out to try and re-update the software update manually. It has been over a week now.

Any thoughts of what else I can try myself?

Thanks
That is weird. I had to have X key reprogrammed, so called for an appointment, and once i got an appointment, got multiple messages for the appointment. Same with a flat tire.

Moderator note: By request from one of the thread participants, I've updated the thread title to remove the word "bricked" and substitute the word "non-responsive". In the Tesla world this term refers to the battery pack being permanently unusable, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Bruce.

PS. OP, I hope they get your car fixed soon.

The app does not connect to the X. I had about 60% battery charge when I initiated the software update and the X was plugged in.

I was told by the representative that it was unlikely that the 12V was dead, since when I initiated the update I still had ample charge on the main battery. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but that’s what they told me.

I got a call back from the service center, have to wait another 2 days before they can make it out to “jump” the car and try another update manually.

I’ll update “bricked” in my Tesla dictionary as permanent battery failure :p. Hopefully that isn’t he case here.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
...I was told by the representative that it was unlikely that the 12V was dead, since when I initiated the update I still had ample charge on the main battery. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but that’s what they told me...
I recommended the 12V jump because you asked for things that you could try yourself while waiting for Tesla. This is something you could try and it might actually work. If you have a volt meter you could measure the voltage on the jump terminals instead of actually applying Voltage and that would be extremely low-risk. If you see less than 12V there it almost certainly needs a jump. If it is above 12V that's probably not the problem.

I recommended the 12V jump because you asked for things that you could try yourself while waiting for Tesla. This is something you could try and it might actually work. If you have a volt meter you could measure the voltage on the jump terminals instead of actually applying Voltage and that would be extremely low-risk. If you see less than 12V there it almost certainly needs a jump. If it is above 12V that's probably not the problem.

I should also ask - did they even offer to send Roadside to try to jump it? If you're not comfortable with doing this, you should call roadside again and ask they send someone to jump it. It's at least worth a try. It seems odd that they couldn't be bothered to even do a jump first since roadside isn't necessarily with the local SC and could be a contract with a local service/towing/AAA type company.

Bricked means unrecoverable, and at this point we don't know if his X is unrecoverable or not.
That's not what the claim was. The claim was bricked means battery only.

brick
brik/
verb
past tense: bricked; past participle: bricked
  1. 1.
    block or enclose with a wall of bricks.
    "the doors have been bricked up"
  2. 2.
    informal
    cause (a smartphone or other electronic device) to become completely unable to function, typically on a permanent basis.
    "installing an unofficial OS voids the warranty and may brick the phone"

Update: For those interested, I finally had Tesla Mobile Repair come out and evaluate my vehicle. The conclusion was that while my car was downloading / installing the update, the process froze and proceeded to deplete the 12V battery overnight. After pulling on the emergency frunk release, he was able to access the battery and tried to jumpstart the vehicle, but it did not take.

He said the 12V battery would need to be replaced, however, Tesla is backordered on the Model X batteries. He had a spare Model S battery, but not for the X. My options would be to wait until Mobile Repair replenished their Model X battery inventory (unknown date), or tow it down to the service center.

I ended up having the X towed to the service center, so hopefully I'll have the car back in a few days.

Pity you didn't try my suggestion 12 days ago - the battery might have had some life left at that time. On the other hand it probably would have been a weakened battery and could have left you stranded at some other time. This way you'll have a new one and I'm sure they'll preform tests to make sure nothing is unduly loading the 12V battery.

You have amazing patients. I applaud you for that.