Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Trade In speeding prosecution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is frustrating. Just been sent a Notice of Prosecution for a speeding offence in the car on the 26 Feb 22 I traded in to Tesla in December.

Although they know I’m not the registered keeper it looks like Tesla didn’t update the DVLA on the new keeper/owner and they have come to me for the details.

Anyone know of the address of the UK Tesla office to direct this to?

You should have the tear off stub from the v5 (I think its called?). Should show you don't have it any more. If they know you aren't the registered person, they should know to follow to the next step in the chain (ie Tesla UK). If they haven't done their paperwork when selling on, that is their problem, not yours.

Reactions: andyf1140
I didn't get the stub. They do that all online these days. But you should have had the DVLA notice of no longer the keeper? That should be all you need.

Tesla don't register it until they sell it I dno't think, so possible it was speeding while on a test drive?

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I didn't get the stub. They do that all online these days. But you should have had the DVLA notice of no longer the keeper? That should be all you need.

Tesla don't register it until they sell it I dno't think, so possible it was speeding while on a test drive?
You should really have taken the stub from the V5 and yes it can be done on line but it is you who is supposed to tell the DVLA that you have disposed the car into the trade not them. There is no real incentive for Tesla to do it. So at the time of the offence it may still have been in your name? then Tesla sold it after so on the DVLA records it went straight from you to the new owner.
Did you get a letter from DVLA confirming you are not the keeper and if so when did did you get it? before or after 26th of Feb?
You say that DVLA know you are no longer the keeper though but since letter has come to you it suggests they think you were at the time of the offence.
At this point the best thing is just to reply to the letter explaining that you traded it in in December and who to. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Did you get a letter from DVLA confirming you are not the keeper and if so when did did you get it? before or after 26th of Feb?
You say that DVLA know you are no longer the keeper though but since letter has come to you it suggests they think you were at the time of the offence.
As soon as you fill out the online form you get an email like this:
Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 17.36.55.png

Then you get a paper copy at some time later.

Out of curiosity, was it a “34 in a 30 mph”-type offence, or something ridiculous like 145 mph on a motorway? Or do they not say at this stage?
When my old lease went back it took them a few weeks to clear history/logout. Teslamate has a record of the car doing 142.29 mph on a dual carriageway and then 131.11 mph on the M4 as it was moved between sites!

When my old lease went back it took them a few weeks to clear history/logout. Teslamate has a record of the car doing 142.29 mph on a dual carriageway and then 131.11 mph on the M4 as it was moved between sites!
I had similar within hours of selling to a dealer.I had notified DVLA online and a timed receipt of hand over. I did feel like using the app to put a 50 speed limit on the car and then deleting it from my account.

The V5C is pretty clear on what you are meant to do when you sell, not doing so leaves you open to a heap of pain regarding speeding and parking tickets. OP, if you’ve not done it, do it now, and provide what evidence you can regarding the ticket and the address on companies house is 109 Devonshire Road, London, England, W4 2AN

I had one of these in middle Feb when I traded my car in, someone was caught doing 80 in it on the empty M5 the same night, and then Tesla returned the car to me the next morning so I decided to keep it. Your worships.