Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your biggest F&*# ups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest screw up. I broke a $1 plastic clip.

The clip was easily replaced, Tesla even goodwilled me the part even though I admitted that I broke it disassembling the car for a mod.

The problem is that the part of the clip that broke off fell into a void in the frame and there is no hope of ever getting it out.

I hear that little piece of plastic rattling around in there every time I drive. It's not loud - I doubt anyone else has ever noticed the rattle. But I hear it and I know it's totally my fault, and I know there's nothing I can do about it. A constant nagging reminder of my screw up.
Did that once on our convertible...just dribbled a little contact adhesive down the hole then took a quick jerky ride to move the piece past the glue and then let it sit overnight. Rattle went away.

Reactions: cypho and Altes
My biggest screw up. I broke a $1 plastic clip.

The clip was easily replaced, Tesla even goodwilled me the part even though I admitted that I broke it disassembling the car for a mod.

The problem is that the part of the clip that broke off fell into a void in the frame and there is no hope of ever getting it out.

I hear that little piece of plastic rattling around in there every time I drive. It's not loud - I doubt anyone else has ever noticed the rattle. But I hear it and I know it's totally my fault, and I know there's nothing I can do about it. A constant nagging reminder of my screw up.

This is like the Tell Tale Heart of Tesla!!!

I've had mine only a few months - add me to the long list of rashed rims. :mad: front passenger side, which I assume is where most of you have rashed it... it's pretty hard to judge the clearance to the curb. I rarely ever have to park on the street for anything, but of course on that fateful morning I had no choice at my destination... there were no other parking spots anywhere in sight. Bad morning overall!

Got a rock chip that spidered out. Need a new windshield just swapped to Tesla insurance and comprehensive was set at 1k not my usual 100. Now need to pay $1k for a new windshield <1000 miles in my new model 3 :( live and you learn.
I am shocked about the price variance in windshields My first one was $600 the next one was $1100 (yes glass is thin and I drive 101 100 miles a day!) Learned a while ago to switch coverage to 0 deductible on glass (State farm allows this)

I've had mine only a few months - add me to the long list of rashed rims. :mad: front passenger side, which I assume is where most of you have rashed it... it's pretty hard to judge the clearance to the curb. I rarely ever have to park on the street for anything, but of course on that fateful morning I had no choice at my destination... there were no other parking spots anywhere in sight. Bad morning overall!
I would think that with all the available cameras on the car they would allow the option to view passenger side camera when in reverse (parallel parking), and the back up camera lines are WAY off on width of tire track

In August, I lost attention driving alone in my wife's M3 AWD, swung a left-hand turn too wide, and pranged both starboard wheels into the curb. The car pulled hard to the right, but I was still able to make another left hand turn and then a right into a big empty parking lot, and then I drove it up onto the AAA flatbed.

Imagine my surprise when the estimate was over $24,000 and my insurance company decided to total the 18 month old, 8000 mile car. It worked out amazingly well, though. After the very big settlement check, we paid off the loan, bought a brand new M3, and had enough left over to buy the performance upgrade and a couple of other cosmetic goodies (not to mention getting a year newer model and 8000 miles back). Our new payment is $100 less than our old payment!

Tesla crash front.jpg
Tesla crash aft.jpg

D5B47743-51E2-4E2C-869B-DC7E28FDE1C6.jpeg
I decided to disassemble a normal AC vent clip air freshener and wedged it into the AC channel of my model 3.

Bad idea. When I ripped the clip part off of the air freshener, it exposed the fragrance material inside which warped the gray peice attached to the wood veneer. You can see it in the photo below after I sanded it down:

I spray painted the plastic and applied a stain to the veneer. It doesn’t look bad to me, but definitely doesn’t look factory. :(

Oh well, I might order the OEM part off of eBay one day. I think they’re going for a couple hundred

Oh, and of course two curb rash incidents. First one was a month after delivery and the second one was 3 months after that.

Last edited:
I consider myself to be rather clumsy where I screw things up by accident a lot. Nothing major, but scratches mostly.

So far my P3D is unscathed, but I think that's because Tesla delivered it to me with a visual defect. One side on the front bumper wasn't aligned. They did a follow up fix, but its still not quite right. I think this one visual fault is acting to protect my car because the universe already won. So it's not out to get me. Heck the other day I turned too soon after small curb ended, and I ran over it but no curb rash at all. How there wasn't is a mystery to me.

I had three mistakes that day, and both of my vehicles that I used made it through the day without a scratch. I dunno what was wrong with me that day, but I just wasn't all there. It started off when I moved my Jeep behind my Camper Van to get my Tesla out. But, I got too close to the camper van bumping the bike carrier. Oops, but not a scratch on the front bumper. That mistake was bound to happen since I was getting pretty giddy about how close I could get it without hitting. It has no front distance sensors.

The second was in my Tesla when I simply didn't see someone in the lane to my left, and turned on the blinkers. As soon as I started to move over I saw the car at the same time the blindspot monitoring beeped at me. I never made it out of my lane, but it didn't stop the person in that lane from road raging me. That tiny little thing set him off, and I was like "how do I communicate my bad?". Thankfully the dude took off when I didn't counter attack his brake check, and bizarre behavior. I forgot to press save on the dashcam, and then was too lazy to check the drive on a computer so I don't know where he came from or why he was so upset.

The third time was the curb.

In my house I regularly have an oops. Like every 6 months I'm accidently dropping things on the wood floor creating tiny dents. In 30 years when I sell my house the wood floor is going to look like the moon.

• Funny
Reactions: RayK
My aero wheels (rims) are toasty at this point. Two early oopsies got both sides front wheels. Let's be honest here. I was never one to park in end/hidden/safe parking spots and then even when in those buffered spots then as far right or left as humanly possible. LEarned to not cut the wheel before pulling all the way out straight like all of us. But then 2 weeks ago while driving through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park I pulled over to let a faster vehicle pass me because I was in cruise/auto-pilot at like 19MPH enjoying the beautiful sights. Well the pull out had a serious 90 degree curb all covered with overgrown grass. Guess who never saw that and SLAMMED it? Swore I'd have a flat tire. Up in the middle of nowhere at night with no cell signal too. Nope. Tire was good...whew This new rim rash makes the others look like nothing. I have 25K on the original tires and aero wheels. This will help push me to upgrade them all sooner than later. I'll have to research what the consensus is on the best set-up. Is going bigger a problem or have they worked all that out?? Anyone have any solid suggestions that would be a no brainer??

In my house I regularly have an oops. Like every 6 months I'm accidently dropping things on the wood floor creating tiny dents. In 30 years when I sell my house the wood floor is going to look like the moon.
I had a similar thing happen to me many years ago. I was fooling around with a set of small barbells (somewhere around 5lbs each) near the dining room table. It was a nice hardwood table; as it turned out, not hard enough. When I unscrewed one of the weights from the end of the bar, I fumbled it and it fell directly onto the table and made a nice divot. That wasn't bad enough. What made it worse was I did that in front of my wife. The proverbial, "if looks could kill", emanated from her. She still mentions it from time to time.

As far as doing something to my car, it would have to be curb rash on both right side wheels. I must have done it two or three months into ownership. I always park in my driveway but for some reason I parked on the street where my Murano usually lives. I thought I was far enough away from the curb but obviously I wasn't. I thought I learned my lesson but I did it again a couple of months later :( .