Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your biggest F&*# ups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be more concerned about what appears to be sidewall damage to the tire...

It's totally superficial. Nowhere near any cords or structure. I checked and double checked and had my tire shop check it as well. No issues. Not really any deeper than the lettering on the sidewall, which obviously isn't structural.

I've put 8k additional miles on the tire since doing that and it's perfectly solid.

Reactions: BennyMountfort
I know this is the Model 3 forum but...

The day after taking delivery of my Model S, I was driving it through a park and I saw a small tree branch on the road. I figured the best thing to do (given speed, the width of the road, etc.) was let it go under the car between the tires. But I misjudged the width of the car. So that branch got run over by the front-left tire, got kicked up, and whacked the drivers door, giving me a self-inflicted door-ding on a day-old Tesla.

Bruce.
I’ve always done this, it’s a good reason not to now!

I'd try to get Tesla to cover that glass of the OP. A "bump" shouldn't do that. You're right glass is under stress. How the heck did you bump it there?
I would love to to but you can see my impact mark. I swung my laptop case off my shoulder (not too hard at all) into the boot whilst talking to someone... misjudged the boot location a little bit. MacBook doesn’t have a single mark :/

My biggest screw up. I broke a $1 plastic clip.

The clip was easily replaced, Tesla even goodwilled me the part even though I admitted that I broke it disassembling the car for a mod.

The problem is that the part of the clip that broke off fell into a void in the frame and there is no hope of ever getting it out.

I hear that little piece of plastic rattling around in there every time I drive. It's not loud - I doubt anyone else has ever noticed the rattle. But I hear it and I know it's totally my fault, and I know there's nothing I can do about it. A constant nagging reminder of my screw up.

Last edited:
I curbed the living eff out of mine when it had <800 miles. Like I was riding on the rim, on the curb.

Since we’re at it I’ve also lowered my wife’s Mazda onto a back-up jack stand I’d placed under one of the front fenders - not exactly on a factory jack point. Luckily Japanese cars are made out of tin so I was able to bend it back into place.

Always double check everything before lowering the car.

I know this is the Model 3 forum but...

The day after taking delivery of my Model S, I was driving it through a park and I saw a small tree branch on the road. I figured the best thing to do (given speed, the width of the road, etc.) was let it go under the car between the tires. But I misjudged the width of the car. So that branch got run over by the front-left tire, got kicked up, and whacked the drivers door, giving me a self-inflicted door-ding on a day-old Tesla.

Bruce.
Teds paintless dent removal in pleasanton. best in the bay area

Reactions: bmah
My daughter got her license and car in July. I told her that I was concerned about hitting her car when I backed out of the garage at 5am every day, so I told her exactly where to park.
One day three I went flailing out of the garage and whacked her car(she was where I told her to be).
I am a bit disappointed in Tesla that the car royally sounds the alarm about other cars on the road, but it's a very light ding when at a low speed in parking lots/driveways.
Regardless, this was all my fault!

I backed into a parking spot for an appointment, no issue there. I was smart and parked next to a landscaping endcap so the passenger side could not get a door ding. The parking lot was cleared out by the time I left, and the angle I approached at blocked the endcap, which had only grass in it. I turned hard to get to the exit and crunch. I sheered off a bunch of clips holding the side bottom trim piece in place so it needed to be replaced. Thankfully the curb was low enough to miss the door.

I was getting so frustrated with what seemed like a layer of film on my windows when the car was new. I cleaned them constantly with Invisible Glass and tried others but it always came back. I know about off-gasing on the interior can cause this from the plastic dash, etc, when new. However I was experiencing this on the outside of the windows as well. I also had a suction cup mark visible from production.

After getting completely fed up and determined to fix it I grabbed what I had available at a friends location. Dish soap would surely remove any grease, oils, residue from manufacturing. So I took the dish soap, a small bucket and the kitchen sink sponge and set out to "fix" the situation once and for all.

I went at it for the windshield and all 4 side windows. Rinsed off to look at my masterful work to then discover that in my frustration and determination I used the green abrasive side of the kitchen sponge without thinking. 100's of micro scratches on the windshield and all 4 windows. 1 hour of cursing later I realized that my act of frustration without thinking (I knew better but was pissed) now cost me the cost to replace all the windows, or a motherload of effort as removing scratches on glass is a royal PITA.

Every day I drove the car when the sun was coming up or down I was pleasantly reminding of my screw up. I bought a good polisher, CeriGlass Polish, Rayon Glass Polishing Pads and set off to fix the first fix that went south.

After 10 hours of Polishing, a lot of cursing, and not needing to go to the gym for a week afterwards I finally removed "most" of them. There are some deeper straglers that will haunt me when the sun shines at just that angle.

I've owned over 50 cars in my life and never done something so stupid! Buy hey, perseverance paid off, mostly, vs buying all new glass for a Tesla as insurance wouldn't cover.

Fortunately the end result, minus the few straglers on the side windows, is outstanding. After polishing and then using a high end protective layer (Kamikaze Intenso) the glass is so clear and invisible and beads water like a monster! But those straglers. They will haunt me until I sneak behind the wife and just order new windows for those problem ones.