TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Post your boat towing WHP/m?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by f3honda4me, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

Debating on buying a model X, however, we have a roughly 3500 pound Alumacraft 16' fishing boat with trailer. It would need to be able to tow it between 50-60 mph and get us about 120 miles on a full charge. Is that impossible to do with the 75D? I have seen reports all over the place of anywhere between 500whpm and 1000whpm but that seems to be mostly people pulling campers that I'd imagine are much less aerodynamic than the fishing boat would be? From what I understand the killer is speed and drag, not weight. So I'm hoping those who have a boat similar to mine might be able to chime in with their towing results at those speeds?

2. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

I really think you would have trouble doing that with a 75D. Now with a 100D you might stand a better chance.

Have you read the thread about ohmman towing his airstream trailer with a model X ?

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

• Like x 1
  3. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

I hadn’t read it yet since an airstream is very different from a boat I think. The whpm should be better. I’ll go check it out now though, maybe I can gauge based on that. Thanks!

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

5. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

Ah thanks. I used that and it estimated about 570 whpm

6. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

A 75 D for towing??? No sir... a 100 would Cover that distance but you wouldn’t have much left.

Really if you need to do any serious towing the X just flat doesn’t have the range yet unless your willing to make serious sacrifices. If I tow a jet ski my wh/mile can go close to or over 500.

I love my x more than any other car I’ve owned but it needs a serious range bump for towing or ski trips.

• Like x 1
  7. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

• Informative x 1
  8. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

Everyone’s situation is different. Except once a year, I wouldn’t have to tow the boat more than 65 miles before being at a charger or destination where I can charge. A 75D will work fine for that.

The once a year situation is where I was trying to figure out, is about 115 miles, speeds averaging 55mph. Not sure it’s worth buying a 100D for that one trip a year. Would just forego taking the boat.

• Like x 1
  9. Sc0rPs

Sc0rPs Member

Not sure your timeline, but I do have an RV travel trailer a little heavier than your own load. I am planning an actual trip this weekend (weather permitting) but did do an in town tow. Its guess-o-meter first knocked off about 12 miles but it changed again as I kept going. So do not want to say, because it is not actual.

What I can say it towed the weight without any problem even uphill, my prior tow vehicle Ford F150 did not manage as well.

I did buy an X because it can tow (among other reasons of course), so will be happy to report my findings ASAP. Just an FYI I ordered the 7 seater but a 100D.

• Like x 1