Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your favorite Slacker and Tune in Radio Stations here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would anyone need a "source list for programming"? Just browse on screen.

IIRC I listen to Classic Rock on Slacker.

Tried a classic/symphony channel and was very disappointed. Everything was broken up into 5 minute snippets of "the best of" what should have been 20-60 minute concerts. Sirius/XM channel 76 gets this sort of thing right, but talks too much.

I never use any of these streaming services. I tried when I bought the car but they just wound up being disappointments: failed searches galore, bad Tesla UI, many brief outages, lousy audio quality, so-so music. On long trips it's audiobooks and/or my own music collection, with occasional brief excursions into AM/FM.

Here are our favorites . . .

Slacker:
1. Choosing your favorite artist, song or album, anytime, anywhere (almost)
2. Stations: Party Alternative; New Alternative

Tune-In:
1. "Latest NPR Hourly News Update" (Save as a single "favorite" and each time you select it, you get a 2~4 minute news update for that hour)
2. TED Talks
3. Podcasts (so many choices, but great for longer drives)
4. Favorite traditional radio stations: KFOG (San Francisco Bay Area); XFM (London)

Recommendation: Create a free Tune-In account on your home computer, move your favorite stations & podcasts to the "My Favorites" section of your account, then set up your Tune-In login on the Tesla main screen (settings, Apps). Now when you select "Internet - Tune-In - My Favorites" on the Media window, you'll see your pre-selected favorites waiting for you. Then, if you select those as your Tesla Media player favorites (blue heart+), then they will show up in the Media player favorites section as well.

Last edited:
On TuneIn Radio, I enjoy 960 KIXW or 970 KNWZ for talk shows with inland CA news. I try to avoid stations that play extra commercials instead of the national show material.

A unique amazing easy listening internet radio station is Seeburg 1000 "Retro" Background Music. Here is a direct link: Seeburg 1000 - Los Angeles, CA - Listen Online

For the "live" feed or repeated telecasts 24/7, try Radio Free California Network for Tim Donnelly's take on California politics. The Alex Jones Show will give you a lot to think about as the world moves towards centralized government control.

While an account on the computer or smart phone allows TuneIn Radio stations across all your devices, a reset of the center screen may be required to finish the task if you have log-on problems with the Tesla vehicle.

I listen to ABC Lounge Music and Sven Radio on Tune-in when I want something calming and the Rachael Maddow Show podcast to keep up with US politics and the upcoming election. I have also found Tune-in versions of some of my favourite local radio stations and the quality is so much better than AM/FM that I'm willing to put up with the occasional drop out.

I just wanted to reccomend the Alt Country station which seems far better to me than the equivalents on Pandora or Amazon Music.
We also started an Amalia Rodrigues station to try some Fado music, which we were only slightly familiar with. The station actually plays great folk music from all over the world and is a mellow delight. This made me wonder about the other somewhat obscure stations others have found that would be fun to try. Please post any that you think worthwhile.

My biggest complaint with Slacker is the lack of depth in the "stations." They stay at the popular end of most catalogs.

That said, if you choose something a little off of the mainstream, you can get a decent playlist. I had a station created from Mad Season's "Lifeless Dead" and it didn't snap to Nirvana and Pearl Jam hits.

I also enjoy listening to the various comedy feeds.