Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely do it it soon. Some portion of that roof + Powerwalls is eligible for the 26% fed tax credit this year. Which goes to 22% in 2021, 10% in 2022(?).

But to get the credit you must be "installed" in the calendar year. Your interpretation on what "installed" means.

PS. I would add at least one additional powerwall. 2 more would be even better given the size of your system. Each powerwall add stroage, but more importanly adds 5 Kw of power you can draw at any one time. So if you want to cover A/C in addition to lights you want at least two. The cost for an additional PWs is about $6,500 per PW. And a lot of the costs of installing PWs is built into the costs of installing the first one.

I totally agree on the need for more Powerwall's. The roof cost is just so high and adding multiple Powerwalls is going to put me at a break-even point around 25-30 years. My initial thought was get one powerwall and have the electrical and everything set up so I could add more down the road and just pay cash for them.

Reactions: jboy210
I totally agree on the need for more Powerwall's. The roof cost is just so high and adding multiple Powerwalls is going to put me at a break-even point around 25-30 years. My initial thought was get one powerwall and have the electrical and everything set up so I could add more down the road and just pay cash for them.

That is somewhat my plan. We have 2 PWs now so we have whole house backup. We will see how this fall's fire season goes, and if necessary order a 3rd unit.

Here is my layout that they provided in March 2020 (14.85kw system). I just went and put in my address and average bill and the price for the same system is $7k cheaper. Yet when I log in my Tesla account, the original price is still showing.
Are you sure you don't have more Powerwalls in the original proposal or something? Pricing has changed recently, but mostly on the smallest array size and for states with funky state incentives. Strange you'd have such a huge variance now.

Either way, so long as you're not installed yet.....just push for the new pricing and you'll get it. Tesla has a 7-day-from-turn-on money back guarantee for any reason. Simply don't let them proceed til you get the new pricing. Might move you back in the line a good bit though.

If it does move you back and you're concerned about the tax credit, I think it's at least 50/50 odds we see an extension real soon that either locks in 26% for a couple years or even goes back up to 30%. Residential solar is the best job creator available at the moment and a level they need to pull in an election year.

Good luck.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Are you sure you don't have more Powerwalls in the original proposal or something? Pricing has changed recently, but mostly on the smallest array size and for states with funky state incentives. Strange you'd have such a huge variance now.

Either way, so long as you're not installed yet.....just push for the new pricing and you'll get it. Tesla has a 7-day-from-turn-on money back guarantee for any reason. Simply don't let them proceed til you get the new pricing. Might move you back in the line a good bit though.

If it does move you back and you're concerned about the tax credit, I think it's at least 50/50 odds we see an extension real soon that either locks in 26% for a couple years or even goes back up to 30%. Residential solar is the best job creator available at the moment and a level they need to pull in an election year.

Good luck.

Yes I am sure there is only one Powerwall. I had them add it after the fact. They charged $8,202.50 for the Powerwall and $3,000 for installation of the Powerwall (and $100 discount for install with roof).

I did go research the Tesla Roof recently on their website and just using my address and Sq Ft and average monthly bill (as my estimate was from March) the cost is about $7,000 lower.

I am going to request that they update my pricing, but I am still feeling that the breakeven is way too many years to justify the spending.

I do not feel like starting my own thread, so just an update now:

Tesla Energy is getting the permits ready and talking with APS. Just as a data point, every text and email has been responded to same day and it seems it has been the same person Amelia. This is quite different from my car purchase, where I spoke to four or five different people. I like this change so far.

I do not feel like starting my own thread, so just an update now:

Tesla Energy is getting the permits ready and talking with APS. Just as a data point, every text and email has been responded to same day and it seems it has been the same person Amelia. This is quite different from my car purchase, where I spoke to four or five different people. I like this change so far.

Tesla assigns a "project coordinator" to solar projects, at least they did for our SolarRoof. We have had the same person, "CK", since the first on site inspection was scheduled back in January.

For those of you who have been asking for changes in the initial design they provide you, how have you been in contact, and what have you found is the best way to reach out to Tesla Solar to discuss the changes with them? Email, phone call, text?

Thanks

When thinking about adding Powerwalls, ask what the cost would be for any additional units. We originally went with two and then decided to increase to three. The cost of any additional units was discounted as you bought more, but the Real cost benefit came in Not having to have them come out a second time as they charged the same install fee all over again. Costs money to roll another team and get a new permit and all the paperwork associated with it and the utility company...man hours put in for an extra unit later can add up.

So my advice is to ask for a price comparison upfront which includes installation for now or later and see if it makes sense to you. The fact that the federal tax credit is as of right now going away is a pretty significant savings. How environmentally friendly the next administration is after 2020 is a wildcard IMO and with covid ravaging budgets I wouldn’t count on where stimulus money goes especially if we continue with a government rooted more in improving oil and gas production than improving greener alternatives.

Reactions: preilly44
To add, I have had luck calling the general Energy line: (888) 518-3752

However, emailing [email protected] was hilariously delayed. Definitely keep the email of you SA emails you a doc.

Thanks for the response. I don't have an email address yet of a specific rep because I chose to receive text messages, and since I have an HOA the only email I've gotten was from their generic [email protected]. I'll try giving them a call.

Ordered Solarglass back in March , I'm planning on installing it as part of a fairly large renovation where a dormer is added among other things, and the roof needed replacement as well. I sent Tesla the architects plans that I believe were pretty comprehensive.

They send me a layout that didn't incorporate any of the changes to the roofline (likely from satellite image) which I responded would not work, and to check the architects plans, and that I was hoping to get closer to 10kw generation, as the plans involved removing two chimneys and expanding the roof a bit.

Their 2nd layout is below. Strangely they actually reduced one area while increasing the other, which but overall less power generation, so not sure how that is possible. My advisor claims this is the maximum, but I'm a bit skeptical and not sure how to proceed at this point. I feel like once they actually do a site inspection they would realize they could put a lot more tiles on, but at that point would it not be too late?
Tesla First Layout.png
TeslaFinalLayout.png

Ordered Solarglass back in March , I'm planning on installing it as part of a fairly large renovation where a dormer is added among other things, and the roof needed replacement as well. I sent Tesla the architects plans that I believe were pretty comprehensive.

They send me a layout that didn't incorporate any of the changes to the roofline (likely from satellite image) which I responded would not work, and to check the architects plans, and that I was hoping to get closer to 10kw generation, as the plans involved removing two chimneys and expanding the roof a bit.

Their 2nd layout is below. Strangely they actually reduced one area while increasing the other, which but overall less power generation, so not sure how that is possible. My advisor claims this is the maximum, but I'm a bit skeptical and not sure how to proceed at this point. I feel like once they actually do a site inspection they would realize they could put a lot more tiles on, but at that point would it not be too late? View attachment 568532 View attachment 568533

I notice they have moved tiles to the North side of the house. When these are in sun they will be at an non-optimal angle even in the middle of summer. And this may mean in parts of the year north side runs are shaded never see the sun so generate nothing. So this is probably the reason for the reduction in output. FWIW, our house has one run that is that way.

Regarding the number of tiles, I got the distinct feeling that is something they tweak even during the install. In your case hopeful this means they get up there and add a few more active tiles. They did that with our roof and it is causing a bit of an issue since the permit list of number of tiles and system output don't exactly match reality. So they are having to update the permit, even after the system is installed and can fully operate. And we are going through another permit approval revision cycle, which means we cannot get final inspection, pay Tesla the remaining 50%, and get PTO.

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44

Their 2nd layout is below. Strangely they actually reduced one area while increasing the other, which but overall less power generation, so not sure how that is possible. My advisor claims this is the maximum, but I'm a bit skeptical and not sure how to proceed at this point. I feel like once they actually do a site inspection they would realize they could put a lot more tiles on, but at that point would it not be too late? View attachment 568532 View attachment 568533

It looks to me like that north facing side suffers from, well, being not only north facing but at an angle. That's why when tiles were moved from the south facing side you lost estimated production.

From what other posters have said Tesla's site inspection is where they finalize the placement.

Could they not put PV tiles at the front of the house on the East-west facing roof planes?

Depending on roof slope, north-facing won’t produce much in the winter.