Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You likely need a 3 foot setback from the edge of the roof to the panel array, otherwise they would have put them there already. Too bad you have so many roof vents in the way.

Yeah I figured it was something like that. It is a bit of a bummer since that part of the roof is at a nearly perfect angle (as another company put it) for solar panels.

UU3dFEp.png

This is with the 315W panels... I want to ask them to change to 340W but afraid they won't fit. It's already pretty tight. For what's it worth, my friend who ordered around the same time and already had permits pulled was able to get them to update his design to the 340W panels just yesterday.

It does look like your roof’s southern exposure Is pretty well covered as is with the 315s. They would need to fit the rather larger footprint of the 340s there, reducing the count and moving more panels to your northern side of the roof. Remember they don’t custom install panels, must be done in 12s. I don’t think more northern facing panels would be worth the tradeoff for the potential but probably unrealized generated power of the 340s.

I noticed your layout was like ours (before adding our third PW) in count and PWs but your est. annual production in kWhs was much less. Was this due to our locations (NJ compared to Calif) and roof angles and house direction or a miscalculation somewhere?

I noticed your layout was like ours (before adding our third PW) in count and PWs but your est. annual production in kWhs was much less. Was this due to our locations (NJ compared to Calif) and roof angles and direction or a miscalculation somewhere?

The powerwalls don’t factor into the annual production number at all, but location definitely does as well as the direction the panels are facing. In this case with a number of panels facing northish it will probably have a decent impact on the production numbers. Shading can also be a concern, but I’m not sure if Tesla takes that into account when they give the estimated numbers or not.

This is not true. While they limit the original order to multiples of 12, the number of panels often changes during the design phase. As you can see in this thread, the final design is rarely a multiple of 12.

So people are required to buy a system with multiples of 12 panels but not necessarily get to use all of them? I can see during installation a situation could arise where there’s an unexpected issue like a not noticed vent pipe from overhead photos during layout stage. Wonder if they issue a credit for an unused panel or two.

I have noticed that Q-Cells panels are sold in pallets of 26. Guess that allows for extra 2 panels if there’s breakage or malfunction. If not, after 6 orders of medium size installs (24) Tesla would have a “free” set of 12. Sure it helps Tesla to defray some of their overhead installation costs. When they come out it’s pretty much a custom install to fit your needs if possible and with so many variables at each home not a cookie cutter install.

I’ve been very happy with the amount of detail, time spent with us - answering our questions and revising our contract to add another PW, pre-install work like permitting with our city and help with getting docs for our HOA, and then the general quality of install work I’ve seen with our neighbor’s projects.

So people are required to buy a system with multiples of 12 panels but not necessarily get to use all of them? I can see during installation a situation could arise where there’s an unexpected issue like a not noticed vent pipe from overhead photos during layout stage. Wonder if they issue a credit for an unused panel or two.

The price is adjusted when adding/removing panels. For example, I had to drop 3 panels on my system and the price was dropped by ~$550 per panel.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
DowMRM2l.jpg

This is with the 315. I've requested an update to 340s and will see what happens! Hoping we can see to move the two isolated panels to the bottom right section.
You might ask if they could replace the roof vents that are currently preventing you from placing panels on that side. For our install, they were able to install a different vent on the roof and install the panel directly over it.

You might ask if they could replace the roof vents that are currently preventing you from placing panels on that side. For our install, they were able to install a different vent on the roof and install the panel directly over it.

Thanks for that tip, I'll definitely check! Should I ask before "accepting the design" and payment? They came for the site inspection today and just got a confirmation to confirm the pricing and accept the design.

Thanks for that tip, I'll definitely check! Should I ask before "accepting the design" and payment? They came for the site inspection today and just got a confirmation to confirm the pricing and accept the design.
It would probably be better to ask before accepting. I forget what type of device they used, but it allowed them to replace the plumbing vent and install 4 rows of 5 panels each and avoid the "missing tooth" look.

Depending on where you live, they may not be able to change the vent type. Fortunately, my county allowed it but I heard the next county over doesn't.

• Informative
Reactions: h2oAok
So this is temping...

Was playing around with layouts to get to an X-Large system (48 panels... up from our current 33). I'll probably keep this in my back pocket for future expansion depending on how well our current 11kW system covers our needs. We're planning on adding a Model Y in 1-2 years.

SolarLayout2.jpg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker