Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updating with Solar Layout

Wow 48 panels. No trouble filling up your 3 PWs with that. Although I see you are in CT so maybe with a lesser solar system during fall/winter it would be more difficult? BTW for the future if you can save something as a .jpg and use the upload feature's full image or even thumbnail, I think people would prefer not to download a .jpg to see.

• Helpful
Reactions: usmat
...Totally unrelated, but the downspout for your gutters is interesting going over the window like that. Was there a reason it had to go there instead a few more feet down?

My guess is when they built the stone arch there was a gutter there that needed to be relocated. Doesn't obstruct the view from the window inside. The fact that the downspout isn't at the end of the run leads me to believe that as well. Just a bad location at the other end due to the location of the basement window I think. Wouldn't want a leak and have it go into the window area. Nice job. Liked the install on the roof. Being in Calif I'm so use to seeing stucco and the brick was a nice change of pace too.

View attachment 588999
698E9A9C-2198-49B9-A1B5-EAC9ADF8BF2B.jpeg
Looks nice. Are they going to paint your solar conduit on the brick red like your other conduits are painted?

Totally unrelated, but the downspout for your gutters is interesting going over the window like that. Was there a reason it had to go there instead a few more feet down?
They don’t paint the conduit, but I just did. Decided to paint all the conduits green, and the inverter, too.

It looks to me like it is between two windows. And if it was further down it would go over the day-light basement window.
Exactly right, good eye. The downspout empties into an 800 gallon pond & waterfall hidden from sight in that previous view.

edit: typos, readability

My guess is when they built the stone arch there was a gutter there that needed to be relocated. Doesn't obstruct the view from the window inside. The fact that the downspout isn't at the end of the run leads me to believe that as well. Just a bad location at the other end due to the location of the basement window I think. Wouldn't want a leak and have it go into the window area. Nice job. Liked the install on the roof. Being in Calif I'm so use to seeing stucco and the brick was a nice change of pace too.
Thanks. Yeah the downspout location was the lesser of two evils. You’re right, original owners had it at the near end, but it made for a horrible trip hazard going to the brick patio partially in view. So I took the road less traveled a few years ago when installing new gutters, and split the window. Works pretty well.

I’ve had this house 40 years; she’s only known one other owner. Feels good to have her primed for producing some energy.

edit: the arch was a fun project 25 years ago. A 70 year old Italian mason showed me how to do it, and we built it together; made entirely from stone rubble...and now I just turned 70.

Last edited:
New to forum. Our installation is going on right now. Tesla was by far the cheapest option and I am willing to deal with a little headache given the price. Signed contract on 7/25. Initial layout had 8 panels on the east facing roof. They got back in about a week with this layout after I asked them to max out the south roof. As far as I can tell Tesla had all their paper work in to my county promptly and I was able to schedule the install 8/26 and today was the first available time. There was never any in person inspection.

Crew has seemed great so far. The panels are all on one roof of our vaulted first floor. They are planing on running the conduit up and over the second story roof and down the exterior wall to the inverter which is located on the west wall.
20200917_103857.jpg
We supplied some left over paint but they were planning on painting it anyways. The inverter and panel can not be placed next to each other due to space constraints so they will run the conduit between them along the ground. Seems like should be nice when all done. They also brought their own replacement tiles in case of breakage. Please so far with the process. Will send more photos once the job is done.

New to forum. Our installation is going on right now. Tesla was by far the cheapest option and I am willing to deal with a little headache given the price. Signed contract on 7/25. Initial layout had 8 panels on the east facing roof. They got back in about a week with this layout after I asked them to max out the south roof. As far as I can tell Tesla had all their paper work in to my county promptly and I was able to schedule the install 8/26 and today was the first available time. There was never any in person inspection.

Crew has seemed great so far. The panels are all on one roof of our vaulted first floor. They are planing on running the conduit up and over the second story roof and down the exterior wall to the inverter which is located on the west wall. View attachment 589245 We supplied some left over paint but they were planning on painting it anyways. The inverter and panel can not be placed next to each other due to space constraints so they will run the conduit between them along the ground. Seems like should be nice when all done. They also brought their own replacement tiles in case of breakage. Please so far with the process. Will send more photos once the job is done.

Nice. Would love to see how it ends up.

So, umm, what is with the lawn mower on the dead grass? ;)

Also, your attachment has your address. You might want to edit that.

Got some photos to share?
Finally got around to uploading the photo of the array.

20200906_080937-PANO.jpg

The powerwall crew came out on Labor Day and completed the installation. I received a text that some installation items will need to be fixed the next day with possibly a modification of the permit. For the first time during this process, I cannot get an answer on the status of my inspection/permit. I may lend that to them dealing with all the customers on the west coast dealing with outages and such. Still frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to uploading the photo of the array.

View attachment 589248

The powerwall crew came out on Labor Day and completed the installation. I received a text that some installation items will need to be fixed the next day with possibly a modification of the permit. For the first time during this process, I cannot get an answer on the status of my inspection/permit. I may lend that to them dealing with all the customers on the west coast dealing with outages and such. Still frustrating.
As luck would have it, I just received a text message that my modified permit has been dropped off. They would like to schedule the inspection, but since a panel is in my garage, someone needs to be home. I inquired about my ability to remotely open the garage and she is checking with her manager. PROGRESS!

As luck would have it, I just received a text message that my modified permit has been dropped off. They would like to schedule the inspection, but since a panel is in my garage, someone needs to be home. I inquired about my ability to remotely open the garage and she is checking with her manager. PROGRESS!
Neat. Inspection is scheduled for tomorrow. Remote access to the garage is approved. After two weeks of silence now tons of progress.

Reactions: SMAlset
Neat. Inspection is scheduled for tomorrow. Remote access to the garage is approved. After two weeks of silence now tons of progress.

You might want to put a note on your front door or on your electrical panels (or both). Just something with your phone number asking the inspector to give you a call when he gets there.

I can imagine a situation where tesla (or maybe even someone in the inspectors office) approved the remote access thing, but that info didn’t get passed on to the inspector and he might come and go without ever trying to get in contact with you.

Last edited:
Turns out the paint wasn't coating the conduit well so they will get some different kind and come back another day to paint the conduit. Otherwise all done and now waiting inspections.
View attachment 589384 View attachment 589382 View attachment 589385 View attachment 589387

I was going to comment that it is kinda odd for them to run the conduit on the ground, but then there was the photo showing they were running it under the gate post which makes sense.

You might want to put a note on your front door or on your electrical panels (or both). Just something with your phone number asking the inspector to give you a call when he gets there.

I can imagine a situation where tesla (or maybe even someone in the inspectors office) approved the remote access thing, but that info didn’t get passed on to the inspector and he might come and go without ever trying to get in contact with you.
Yep as it turns out the inspector would need to turn off the power to check the safety guards. So that would kill my internet connection for my remote garage control. So inspection delayed until Tuesday, my day off. I appreciate Tesla trying to work with me.

I had and passed my inspection today. Now on to the HECO(utility) fun. I had to race home and past the building inspector to turn off my system and pull the jumpers from the meter head. Close call. I only found out about the inspection 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Luckily my office is close to home, which is in a gated neighborhood, so I didn’t open the gate for the inspector until I pulled through it. He and the Tesla dude had been waiting there for a few minutes. He would have pooped rainbow twinkies had he seen me fully operational and running jumpers in my empty meter head. Fired it all right back up after he pulled away. Lol.

My install date is this Thursday (09/24) and last week, I had a roofer move a couple of vents away from the south facing portion of the install. I asked Tesla to move a few panels either from my south-east or west facing panels to the south roof yesterday.

I had previously asked for a redesign and they turned it in a couple of days. That redesign did not work out and so, I returned to my previous original layout. Hope this does not cause a delay to the install date.

Houston, TX.

Attachments

• AfterVentRemoval_marked_mask.png
    AfterVentRemoval_marked_mask.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 86