Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took about a week to get an update after requesting the 340W panels. I'm much happier with the new layout, and they may be able to trim some vents to fit two more on the south side. Technically losing about .2kW on the south side, but with the past distribution the other panels were more subject to shade on the left and right.

8OkYamR.png

Reactions: willow_hiller
Took about a week to get an update after requesting the 340W panels. I'm much happier with the new layout, and they may be able to trim some vents to fit two more on the south side. Technically losing about .2kW on the south side, but with the past distribution the other panels were more subject to shade on the left and right.

8OkYamR.png
Nice! Hopefully they can trim the vents or you can get into the attic to re-route them.

Well, here's the final layout with the 340W G6+ panels. I added the "3 foot set back" note, which is a rule in Oregon if covering more than 25% of the roof (which my array is). Super happy with how it came out and with Tesla's customer service. What's great is that the array is completely hidden from all viewing angles (unless I'm in my neighbor's backyard behind us).

Now the fun part will be to see how well this matches up with usage. I'm a bit in the dark here since this is new construction and it's fully electric (except the gas fireplace which my partner wasn't willing to give up). I'm coming from a house that's half the size, 65 years older, and gas heated, so not really comparable. Luckily, I have plenty of roof space to expand if need be, but would prefer to keep everything on the back of the house.

This system will be using the SolarEdge 10kW inverter... 2 strings of 16 and 17 panels each.

Solar Layout v3.jpg

For those who have ordered since the 340 watt panel announcement, how are your orders progressing?

I ordered on June 21, ran into an issue with how their system was auto-filling my utility interconnect agreement on June 26, and I've been waiting for a fix ever since. They're very apologetic every time I call, but it sounds like they're slammed with orders right now.

Has anyone been lucky enough to schedule an install date, yet?

Ordered mid June and sent permits on June 25, installed yesterday. Pretty crazy How fast this happened. My city inspector showed up this morning and found a couple of issues.
Original plan showed 200 amp main, actually 150?
Permit for hpwc was not yet approved, even though they installed it.

One issue, final design that arrived a day before install showed ac not on backup. Installers didn’t have a soft start for the unit so it tripped the Powerwalls while testing. Tesla said they’d bring one out.

I realize I’m very lucky. I just hope we can get things fixed and pto quickly.

For those who have ordered since the 340 watt panel announcement, how are your orders progressing?

I just received my final layout this week after a site inspection. Pre-approved through Tesla. I was surprised by the reduced monthly payment for the first 18 months and pay the tax rebate to keep it. Much to my surprise Tesla Solar is an even better deal. Final design kept the mounts as rectangular as possible. I had a quick HOA question, sent a text to Tesla Solar and had an answer in 15 minutes. So far I am extremely satisfied with how my project is progressing.

solar.png

Here's ours. V2 of layout.

View attachment 555743

It's interesting to go on google or apple maps and do an aerial search for homes in your neighborhood and see how their solar panel layout was done.

Hey we got the call about scheduling! Guess the permit for the 3rd additional PW finally arrived in their hands. Excited. Calling them back in a bit after we coordinate calendars with my husband’s planned meetings. He definitely wants to be around (at a distance) to watch and advise how we’d like to see the equipment get placed in garage. Think this might be a 2-day install.

Hey we got the call about scheduling! Guess the permit for the 3rd additional PW finally arrived in their hands. Excited. Calling them back in a bit after we coordinate calendars with my husband’s planned meetings. He definitely wants to be around (at a distance) to watch and advise how we’d like to see the equipment get placed in garage. Think this might be a 2-day install.

Congrats:) Mine install was 48 panels and 4 powerwalls, but it definitely took all of two days (from about 7AM until around 5PM both days). I wouldn’t be surprised if your install stretches into the second day.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset
Took their first scheduling date for our area - mid-August! While talking to her she said that some areas of northern Calif. near I think she said Petaluma were already booked out to December, so not complaining. With the covid scheduling delays and orders coming in they have got to be really doing a strong business right now.

We were scheduled for 2 days. She said solar would be done in first day for sure and that since we had 3 PWs their installation could run over into a second but also I guess depending on how simply things are run, might be done in one day. Believe she said to expect power off for 4 to 7 hours. We are running conduit on the exterior and they will paint but have limited paint colors so suggestion to have house color paint there for them to use, but they will paint if we ask. I know some of you have already had them do this.

She also mentioned that PG&E is telling them PTOs could take 7-8 weeks but lately haven’t been that long. I think I saw something on PG&E’s website alluding to this and there was a two-tiered response time for PTOs. This est. definitely falls into the longer window. Couldn’t help but wonder if PG&E makes more money by pushing out the PTO approval time for people during summer who might have heavy AC usage during hot temps and on certain plans. Our EVA2 rate break is cheapest Midnight to 3pm.

Last edited:
Took their first scheduling date for our area - mid-August! While talking to her she said that some areas of northern Calif. near I think she said Petaluma were already booked out to December, so not complaining. With the covid scheduling delays and orders coming in they have got to be really doing a strong business right now.

We were scheduled for 2 days. She said solar would be done in first day for sure and that since we had 3 PWs their installation could run over into a second but also I guess depending on how simply things are run, might be done in one day. Believe she said to expect power off for 4 to 7 hours. We are running conduit on the exterior and they will paint but have limited paint colors so suggestion to have house color paint there for them to use, but they will paint if we ask. I know some of you have already had them do this.

She also mentioned that PG&E is telling them PTOs could take 7-8 weeks but lately haven’t been that long. I think I saw something on PG&E’s website alluding to this and there was a two-tiered response time for PTOs. This est. definitely falls into the longer window. Couldn’t help but wonder if PG&E makes more money by pushing out the PTO approval time for people during summer who might have heavy AC usage during hot temps and on certain plans. Our EVA2 rate break is cheapest Midnight to 3pm.

Right on.

Since my install is for a new construction house, I have to wait to schedule until they can confirm my Energy Trust of Oregon rebate, which can't be done until the utility account is in my name. Hopefully it's a quick turn-around. We close on the house on 8/28.

56-panel redo. Yesterday, they acknowledged my email from Friday asking for more panels and told me that redesigns are backed up 7-10 days. Today I got the redesign.

Not crazy about panels on the front of the house, and they're definitely straining the WAF, especially with the zigzag. It looks like they are minimizing DC cable length to reduce loss. My meter is at the easternmost corner. My garage panel is under the northernmost panel. If they chose that southeast facing roof to the west of the "pie slice" the DC run would cross the whole house. I've asked to have my inverters installed inside.

The roof next to the words front of house is second floor elevation, but it looks like the panels might fit in a 2x4 block there. Hard to tell with the 3 foot setback requirement in the Fire Code.

plan2.png

56-panel redo. Yesterday, they acknowledged my email from Friday asking for more panels and told me that redesigns are backed up 7-10 days. Today I got the redesign.

Not crazy about panels on the front of the house, and they're definitely straining the WAF, especially with the zigzag. It looks like they are minimizing DC cable length to reduce loss. My meter is at the easternmost corner. My garage panel is under the northernmost panel. If they chose that southeast facing roof to the west of the "pie slice" the DC run would cross the whole house. I've asked to have my inverters installed inside.

The roof next to the words front of house is second floor elevation, but it looks like the panels might fit in a 2x4 block there. Hard to tell with the 3 foot setback requirement in the Fire Code.

View attachment 564463

If you removed/re-routed the vents on the south facing roof, you could probably fit an additional 8 panels on it.
- One on the left.
- Fill in two in the middle
- A 4x4 block to the right with an additional panel to the right of that.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 6.38.23 PM.png

My house is a duplex/attached house, I own the right side.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 3.44.18 PM.png

They put the last group of panels (the furthest north ones) not on the south facing slope highlighted in red, but in the east-facing portion between the two red portions in the picture above.

Should I push back on them to put at least some of the panels on that big south-facing slope? Or just let them do as they show in the layout? It's a 12kw system.

Thanks!

If you removed/re-routed the vents on the south facing roof, you could probably fit an additional 8 panels on it.
- One on the left.
- Fill in two in the middle
- A 4x4 block to the right with an additional panel to the right of that.

Thanks for the suggestions. Because I live in the same city as BrettS and his install goes right to his roof edges but allows three foot paths around the sections, I rejected the redesign and asked for three panels to the left and five panels to the right of that toilet vent at the southeast edge.

I also requested an indoor inverter install to get them out of the sun in hopes of longer life. The panels would run to inverters in the garage on short DC attic runs, the inverters would run to the main panel outside on heavy gauge AC in conduit in the attic, the inverter breakers would install in the outside main panel as is typical, and the main disconnect in that panel carries the draw from the house. There is a 30 slot breaker panel in the garage with the home circuits, but that will only draw from the main in the outdoor panel. It's basically putting the inverters on a longer than normal wire. As a side benefit, having the DC come in to the garage and the new AC conduit running to the outdoor main will make for an easier install and less complicated permitting if Duke goes TOU or V2G becomes a thing and I need to insert a gateway into the DC system for Powerwalls or a V2G parked in that garage.

And finally, I'm getting mixed messages from advisors about redesign delays. Monday I received an answer to a Friday email requesting a redesign telling me it was probably going to take 7-10 days. Got the redesign yesterday. Talked to an advisor last night about the front of house panels, was told that if I wanted a redesign it was going to take 4 weeks. The explanation why was very pitchy, "My design team lead sent out a message saying redesigns are going to take 4 weeks so we can focus on detailed utility application designs. There is a backlog of approved designs that need application-level detail and there are concerns that shutdowns will block installs, so we're going to push on the work that is waiting for detailed designs before it can install." Seemed innocent on the surface, until I talk to another advisor this morning, reject the design, and ask for panel and inverter location changes and they advise me that will take 24-72 hours.