Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case they spent quite a bit of time in my attic. They needed to add some additional joists in certain places where the joists weren’t in the right spot to attach the solar panels and they also ran most of the conduit between the panels and the inverters through the attic so there wasn’t conduit running all over on the roof.

My first go round with the design had 10 panels facing Northeast because my HOA requires rectangular mounts. However, they do list an exception for a loss of 10% of generated. Will a SW exposure have more than 10% generation compared to a NE? The only other HOA rule is 8" from roof edge. So I have request a complete SW exposure. I took the NE 10 and placed them in red facing SW. Hopefully Tesla can do the same.

The cost difference between Small and Medium on a per watts basis is pretty significant. Downsizing will be a last resort.

Props to Tesla getting me a redesign on the weekend. All panels facing SW. I plan on submitting this preliminary design to my HOA along with a PVwatts calculation showing the ~20% generation loss of those ten NE panels compared to these ten pointing SW with the rest of them. Hopefully this wont be an issue.
solar.png

Reactions: SMAlset and steve3
[Bummer, but so it goes. Im curious, is your house fully electric (appliances
Props to Tesla getting me a redesign on the weekend. All panels facing SW. I plan on submitting this preliminary design to my HOA along with a PVwatts calculation showing the ~20% generation loss of those ten NE panels compared to these ten pointing SW with the rest of them. Hopefully this wont be an issue.View attachment 557898

Also show your HOA some Tesla Solar installed pictures and how good they look compared to all other companies. Since it's aesthetics their concerned with, I imagine this would help.

Anything that helps I guess. Hopefully with this 8kW and 2 PW set up, I will no longer have to play the Demand Charge game with the power company. The wife is a good sport for suffering with the AC usage reduced from 3PM to 8PM. So while there will be no realistic monthly savings, the quality of life during those peak hours will improve immensely.

I would hope I can generate enough power to charge up the PWs before 3PM and use solar and PWs until 8pm and anything to spare will be dumped into my car. Repeat the next day. We shall see.

For those who’ve had their systems installed recently, do they enter your attic for any reason? No juicy secrets in mine...just a thick, undisturbed layer of blown-in insulation.

Excited about my 8kW system, but need a couple dominos to fall first: electrician coming mid-July to upgrade service & replace 40 year-old breaker panel; and waiting on Tesla engineering response to my request for change to a portion of their initial panel layout.

We elected to run our conduit outside on our two-story house and avoid the attic. Saw a few other installs from members here of how they did theirs, and asked Tesla based on our house photos how they would do it on our home. They said they wouldn’t need attic access (I guess based on age of house and concrete roof tiles) and would paint the conduit to match the surface it was on. They explained how they would go from the roof to under the eaves.

With covid we were fine with that and we got approval from our HOA with that installation. If we ever were to have a problem with the wiring figure it would be easier to access anyway.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: steve3
Nice! Is the system covering your total power usage? Just seems like a pretty big house for only 12 panels.
Not even close to covering our house. (4,400 sq ft) Our goal was just to cover the mileage on our cars mostly from an environmental perspective. I think I explain this in the video but our cost per kilowatt is only 8.16 cents. (Hydroelectric) So solar is really not very economical. Best case scenario about a 16 year payout. But we got a free referral founder’s red powerwall2 I thought it made sense to install a minimal system along with it and take advantage of the 30% tax break that was going to be reduced at the end of last year to 26%. We got quite a lot done for under $7000 out of pocket after taxes. Also our only option was to have panels facing the street and aesthetically a single low profile beveled rectangle looks very clean and makes a statement. There are 106 homes in our HOA and ours is the only one with solar.

Do your layout require the Adobe signature?

They have been using that for some time now. I know our solar/PW contract and other paperwork used it and last year when I bought the FSD upgrade, paid for through our service center, I needed to “sign” for it. Just got an estimate when I requested service for my AC filter/condenser work and that required one too. So if you are seeing one, that is normal.

Reactions: tinhtu
Pretty good day today. I'm obsessive about stuff and have been unhappy about panels on any roof other than south facing. I realize this isn't a big deal, it's just something about myself that I have to reconcile. My plan was to ask Tesla to simply remove the 4 panels currently on the East facing roof from the design all together.

After requesting this apparently the design team was able to stuff all 24 panels onto the south facing roof. It's a good day as my mind wont wander while looking at the solar production if I could've done better. OCD much?

Attachments

• New Design.PNG
    New Design.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: willow_hiller
Pretty good day today. I'm obsessive about stuff and have been unhappy about panels on any roof other than south facing. I realize this isn't a big deal, it's just something about myself that I have to reconcile. My plan was to ask Tesla to simply remove the 4 panels currently on the East facing roof from the design all together.

After requesting this apparently the design team was able to stuff all 24 panels onto the south facing roof. It's a good day as my mind wont wander while looking at the solar production if I could've done better. OCD much?

Sweet! Tight-fit, but it will pay off. I'm the same way. Luckily, I've found the Tesla Solar design team to be really flexible and easy to work with.

Looks like you removed a vent? Or going over the top of it?

Sweet! Tight-fit, but it will pay off. I'm the same way. Luckily, I've found the Tesla Solar design team to be really flexible and easy to work with.

Looks like you removed a vent? Or going over the top of it?
My previous design was 5 columns and 4 rows (20) and another 4 on the East roof. This one bad it 5x5 vice the one panel where the vent was in the way.

Attachments

• Powerwall Location Notes.png
    Powerwall Location Notes.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 84
Tesla required me to upgrade the Main Electrical Panel from 100A to 225A for about $3300. My local solar companies have never asked me to upgrade. Instead, they would have Southern California Edison (SCE) installed a device called Generation Meter Adapter (GMA). The upgrade is the extra cost that we have not anticipated. What do you think?

Tesla required me to upgrade the Main Electrical Panel from 100A to 225A for about $3300. My local solar companies have never asked me to upgrade. Instead, they would have Southern California Edison (SCE) installed a device called Generation Meter Adapter (GMA). The upgrade is the extra cost that we have not anticipated. What do you think?

I'm betting Tesla is still cheaper(?), plus you'll get the benefit of a bigger main panel.

• Informative
Reactions: tinhtu