Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks to be a California Pepper Tree (Schinus molle). Get rid of it. We had a number of them in our condo complex and apart from the heavy debris they produce (so think about this on roof and in gutters) their roots lifted and destroyed walkway stairs that had to be ripped up and repoured after they pulled out all the pepper trees. Our current HOA removed the ones that the developer planted that were affecting our walkways already. Some species grow up to 5 stories tall. Really more a "park" tree anyway.
That's the tree in the front, if correct. The tree in the back has different leaves. But you can see that it's lifting the walkway to the house which has already been ground down once and needs to be done again. It almost certainly is affecting the foundation of the house.

That's the tree in the front, if correct. The tree in the back has different leaves. But you can see that it's lifting the walkway to the house which has already been ground down once and needs to be done again. It almost certainly is affecting the foundation of the house.

Yes, it appears to be the tree he pointed out to be the one closest in the photo casting the shadows in the afternoon on his SW facing roof plane.

If the tree in his back is a camphor tree (Cinnamomum camphora), I'd recommend taking that one out too. Very shallow roots that will affect growth near them and can grow many stories high (to 90 foot range). Our neighbor behind us just took out the one he planted when he moved in some 16 years ago. He had drastically pruned it once before but it grew back rather quickly and given we each only have backyards of 25 feet deep he grew concerned about it falling on one of our 2-story homes. It was recommended to him as a fairly fast growing shade tree and that's why he bought it. Didn't know if it was really appropriate for small yards.

Last edited:
I believe the tree nearest the house is a bradford pear, which apparently has a host of issues on its own. It's definitely pushing the walkway up too. So that one most likely needs to go but now that I look at it, it doesn't seem to be the one causing the shading issue.

The one on the street strip is overgrown as well, hopefully some aggressive pruning would let me keep the tree and mitigate most of the shading problem.

BrettS did a great job of laying out the pros and cons - the NE roof may be just as productive given the shade issues. I see a garage in the picture - can that roof be used? Maybe use the SW roof on the garage and the NE roof on the house. Getting power to the garage may be more expensive, though.

I was thinking about the garage as well, I think I could fit just under 6kw of panels on there. Unfortunately it's on the far opposite corner of the house from the main panel so I'm assuming that would add a fairly significant cost to the install? ie a long conduit run, part of which would need to go under a patio/walkway. There's no subpanel in the garage, if that makes a difference

@AnotherMike, Looks to be a California Pepper Tree (Schinus molle).

I ran the tree near the street through the PictureThis app (awesome app for identifying plants btw) and it tagged it as a Chinese pistache tree, which looks right based on a quick google search

Last edited:
This is the initial layout. Install hasn't happened yet. I am thinking of moving up to 10 kw. Over the last 365 days (10/2/2019 to 10/1/2020) I used a little over 23,000 kwh.

I have SRP and in my estimation getting a huge system that creates more power than you use doesn't make financial sense.

Attachments

• Tesla.JPG
    Tesla.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
Well, good news is I heard back in 1 day from submission on my interconnect agreement.

Bad news is they rejected it. Tesla didn't include on the diagram submitted where the electric meter is located in relation to the disconnect. Should be an easy fix, but boy was I disappointed to see an email about my interconnect agreement and it not be approved.

Last night Tesla Energy sent out a tech to get thing labelled and to take a look at the breaker panel. This morning they were fixing the remaining issues and right now they are waiting for the inspector. I really love the effort they are showing trying to get this passed this week.

Here is the new label:
View attachment 592206

EDIT: I was just notified we passed inspection. Now just waiting for my power company. :D
After not hearing anything, I had sent a text and asked where we were on getting PTO. Less than an hour later, I received an email from the power company about an update to the interconnect. Think that is for the PTO? I hope so.

After not hearing anything, I had sent a text and asked where we were on getting PTO. Less than an hour later, I received an email from the power company about an update to the interconnect. Think that is for the PTO? I hope so.

Yep, usually there’s an interconnect application and signed agreement between you and the utility. After all inspections, paperwork and approvals, the utility will grant you permission to operate (PTO).

Yep, usually there’s an interconnect application and signed agreement between you and the utility. After all inspections, paperwork and approvals, the utility will grant you permission to operate (PTO).
I figured. Received notice from the power company this morning... that there needs to be a revision to the application. So close, yet so far. The good news is my advisor is back to giving me updates again.

I figured. Received notice from the power company this morning... that there needs to be a revision to the application. So close, yet so far. The good news is my advisor is back to giving me updates again.

Hopefully it is better than mine. On our third rejection of the application from Tesla. Small issues every time that need to be changed.

Got my layout last week 10/14. Ordered 9/21. Pretty happy with the layout. Existing 8-panel 2.56kW system on East facing Side of the house (white box). Was hoping that they could put all 12 panels together but I guess the vent placement might make that difficult. Accepted it as soon as it came to help move the process forward. sounds like they are waiting on permits now. Saw that somebody else in the San Diego area moved through the process pretty quickly so hoping the same happens here.
AF7812EA-C9E1-4512-86D6-2E426D6518A2.png
Still crossing my fingers that I’ll get an install date scheduled before the end of the year.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Got my layout last week 10/14. Ordered 9/21. Pretty happy with the layout. Existing 8-panel 2.56kW system on East facing Side of the house (white box). Was hoping that they could put all 12 panels together but I guess the vent placement might make that difficult. Accepted it as soon as it came to help move the process forward. sounds like they are waiting on permits now. Saw that somebody else in the San Diego area moved through the process pretty quickly so hoping the same happens here. View attachment 600753 Still crossing my fingers that I’ll get an install date scheduled before the end of the year.

Looks good. Even though it's facing slightly north, you may actually still produce more than if it were on your east facing roof if you get a lot of AM clouds. I seem to remember San Diego being this way.

Looks good. Even though it's facing slightly north, you may actually still produce more than if it were on your east facing roof if you get a lot of AM clouds. I seem to remember San Diego being this way.

Yes, between the morning marine layer and afternoon peak TOU (4pm-9pm) for SDG&E it should be ok. Unfortunately given the existing solar and limited roof space on any of the other faces that side is the only real option for us. So I guess we should be thankful it’s not completely north facing.

Reactions: pdx_m3s