Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the initial layout and was wondering if I should ask to move any to the south-west facing side. Seems like there will always be a panel in the chimney shadow. PVWatts show <5% difference in production.

upload_2021-2-22_19-50-40.png

Got the initial layout and was wondering if I should ask to move any to the south-west facing side. Seems like there will always be a panel in the chimney shadow. PVWatts show <5% difference in production.

View attachment 639049

That's a lot of roof penetrations! I would definitely try to move some to be SW-facing if you can.

Also, I would go as big as your utility and wallet would allow. Will 24 panels fully offset your usage?

That's a lot of roof penetrations! I would definitely try to move some to be SW-facing if you can.

There's not that many, probably interpreted stain marks from the satellite images as penetrations.

Will 24 panels fully offset your usage?

It will cover ~133% of our day time usage. Night time rates are really low here due to wind, and can even go negative many nights including last night ($/MW)

upload_2021-2-23_9-29-43.png

Here's my proposed layout (north is up). Tesla says the estimated year 1 production is 9110 kWh I'm concerned with having panels facing in three different directions. I assume I'll get the Tesla inverter - does "four maximum power point trackers" mean that it can handle this well? Is 9110 kWh low for 24 panels?

1615310766276.png

Here's my proposed layout (north is up). Tesla says the estimated year 1 production is 9110 kWh I'm concerned with having panels facing in three different directions. I assume I'll get the Tesla inverter - does "four maximum power point trackers" mean that it can handle this well? Is 9110 kWh low for 24 panels?

View attachment 642996
As long as east/west/south are each on their own MPPT string, then there's no issue. What I'm not sure of, though, is what the minimum string length is (# of panels), as you only have 6 panels facing south. I believe for SE inverters, the minimum string length is ~8 panels.

Well, I guess my assumption was that each MPPT channel needs it's own "string," but perhaps that's not the case. Maybe there is not a minimum MPPT channel length? It would be worth doing some more research on.

Yes to both. The amount of light hitting a panel is proportional to the current the panel produces and the temperature of the panel is proportional to the voltage. Current has to be equal through all panels in a string so if two panels face a different direction their MPP current will be different. The minimum voltage for the Tesla inverters is 100v IIRC so you probably need at least 3-4 panels to reach that minimum.

Reactions: JoelH
There's no need to be concerned. By facing different directions, they can put more panels on your roof and better optimize the inverter. Our solar system has 5 arrays facing 4 different directions at 3 different angles. This takes advantage of nearly every spot possible on our roof and allows us to have good production throughout the day and throughout the year. If we'd limited the panels to only face one direction, our system would be 43% smaller.

Yes to both. The amount of light hitting a panel is proportional to the current the panel produces and the temperature of the panel is proportional to the voltage. Current has to be equal through all panels in a string so if two panels face a different direction their MPP current will be different. The minimum voltage for the Tesla inverters is 100v IIRC so you probably need at least 3-4 panels to reach that minimum.
Thanks for the clarification. So in the poster's layout, each orientation (east, west, and south) would get it's own MPPT channel. Or perhaps each roof plane would get its own (the poster has 2 west-facing planes).

Thanks for the clarification. So in the poster's layout, each orientation (east, west, and south) would get it's own MPPT channel. Or perhaps each roof plane would get its own (the poster has 2 west-facing planes).

Each orientation should have an independent MPPT. If the amount of sunlight received could be different it should be on a different channel.

Reactions: JoelH
Each orientation should have an independent MPPT. If the amount of sunlight received could be different it should be on a different channel.
Thanks. I'll make sure this is how they set it up (site survey is next week). And in fact, since there should be 4 MPPTs available, I'll ask for the two west facing to be on different ones, since there's a large tree in the front yard that will shade the group of 6 at certain times of the day (and even more so in low sun angle times of the year).

Thanks. I'll make sure this is how they set it up (site survey is next week). And in fact, since there should be 4 MPPTs available, I'll ask for the two west facing to be on different ones, since there's a large tree in the front yard that will shade the group of 6 at certain times of the day (and even more so in low sun angle times of the year).

Shade isn't that big of a deal. In fact a single MPPT could actually be better. Sections of a panel that are in shade get 'deleted' electrically via bypass diodes in the panel. If you have 5 panels on a MPP channel and 3 are in shade you effectively kill that string since 2 panels won't be enough to get to the 100v minimum. BUT... if you have 10 panels on a MPP and 3 are in shade the other 7 can keep producing just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd and JoelH