Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When is your install scheduled for. Be interesting to see if they do it. It's ~$20 in wire. Crazy that this is a thing....
Not scheduled just yet. Went through a few rounds of layouts which took a few weeks. Now waiting on the HOA rubber stamp (already approved in the last meeting) then permits can get issued...

Since this is the "post your layout" thread...

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 6.21.00 PM.png

Stupid vents! :mad: The ones blocking the two panels are pretty much impossible to move without spending big bucks. I'm already at ~110% of my existing consumption plus ~2,000 kWh a year for future electric water heater and electric dryer, so there's really no ROI there. But still...

Where are you seeing that you are getting a Gateway2? The Powerwall+ eliminates the need for a separate gateway. (While also limiting your expansion capabilities.)
Yeah, that's what I thought too. But the project BOM has both the PW2+ and Gateway2. The image below shows three potential setups on the right. I'm guessing it's a local code thing. This was another question I asked Tesla. We'll see what they say.

Tesla Solar 4.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
It's unfortunate that you have shade on the West side... that's generally preferred to East. Well... it is what it is.

1. Should be ok. I think the minimum startup voltage is ~60v
  2. That is dumb. I would request they run them separately. The extra wire is worth the cost.
Thanks. I assume the downside here would be reduced efficiency since the MPPT has less flexibility to optimize the parallel strings?
Agree it's dumb if it's solely based on the extra cost of wire. I'll happily keep a few $20's in my pocket to "upgrade". But I'm wondering if this is something they could realistically change on the spot, or would it require updating the permit since it would be a deviation from the plan?

Thanks. I assume the downside here would be reduced efficiency since the MPPT has less flexibility to optimize the parallel strings?
Agree it's dumb if it's solely based on the extra cost of wire. I'll happily keep a few $20's in my pocket to "upgrade". But I'm wondering if this is something they could realistically change on the spot, or would it require updating the permit since it would be a deviation from the plan?

They should be able to. The reduced efficiency would be mild. Probably < 0.5%. Not much at all if there aren't any shading issues. But IMHO independent MPPTs are valuable as a diagnostic tool. You can compare the strings to verify everything is ok. If they're parallel and you lose a bypass diode the parallel string can mask the failure.

It's almost comical. There are a lot of people in the PV industry that think spending an extra $2k on a system for module level MPP and monitoring is worth it. You get ~80% of that benefit with string level and Tesla doesn't even think that's worth ~$20 apparently...

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But the project BOM has both the PW2+ and Gateway2. The image below shows three potential setups on the right. I'm guessing it's a local code thing. This was another question I asked Tesla. We'll see what they say.

Well it actually says "Backup Gateway 2". Is the normal one that has been installed been called a "Backup Gateway 2" or just "Gateway 2"? I wonder if there is any difference. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Well it actually says "Backup Gateway 2". Is the normal one that has been installed been called a "Backup Gateway 2" or just "Gateway 2"? I wonder if there is any difference. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.
The Backup Gateway 2 is the name of the existing product sometimes called the Tesla Energy Gateway 2 (or TEG 2) on the forums.

They should be able to. The reduced efficiency would be mild. Probably < 0.5%. Not much at all if there aren't any shading issues. But IMHO independent MPPTs are valuable as a diagnostic tool. You can compare the strings to verify everything is ok. If they're parallel and you lose a bypass diode the parallel string can mask the failure.

It's almost comical. There are a lot of people in the PV industry that think spending an extra $2k on a system for module level MPP and monitoring is worth it. You get ~80% of that benefit with string level and Tesla doesn't even think that's worth ~$20 apparently...
Well, actually there is some shading. Basically two chimneys that "sundial" across the 20 panel array.

4ForN-yXCz02gGSfbTKMSwzIdiMqWNOOJmXwmxZ8yce59tPYLQuz52ZElOYHGTndVfduVxU-NT9RWvZI3hA3O1wbqVadxN05qqx9OyGpq3qom3KTE74MSHwNd51FXKbHj1rep8vsWUM

Hi all, I'm looking for some feedback on the solar design we just received from Tesla.

We received our system design from Tesla today. Overall it looks pretty standard with a few exceptions that I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Our system is a 8.16kW system (Tesla’s medium size) consisting of 24 Hanwa Q-Cell panels, one Powerwall+ integrated battery & string inverter, and a Gateway2. As shown below, 20 of the 24 panels are in a 4x5 array on the east facing roof, and 4 panels form a 2x2 array on the west facing roof. We have a little shade on the east facing roof, mostly from two chimneys. The west facing roof, on the other hand, is almost completely shaded by trees from about noon onwards during the summer months.

View attachment 660407

So if I'm reading the schematics below correctly, the panels will be connected in two strings:
  • Two parallel strings of 10 panels each going into one MPPT (MP 1); these are on the front (east) roof of our house.
  • A single string of 4 panels going into a second MPPT (MP 2); this is on the rear (west) roof.
View attachment 660408

So here are my questions/concerns.
  1. I am concerned that the 4 panels on MP 2 won’t reach the minimum voltage of the inverter very often due to the shade. To address this, my thinking was to either (1) add TWO more panels to this array, bringing the total to six. Then at least the string should get above V_min more often; mostly in the winter months when the leaves are off the trees. Or (2), get rid of the 4 panels and just go with the 20 on the east roof. I’m leaning towards (1) because this will give us some more power, especially in winter months. I also know it is difficult to try to add panels later on.
  2. I’m wondering why the 20 panels are strung into two parallel strings of 10 panels each on MP 1, instead of the two strings each being on a separate MPPT? I believe the string inverter supports 4 MPPTs. So the only reason I can think of is to reduce the number of conductors coming off the roof to the inverter in the basement. Would there be any other reason for doing this?
I’ve asked the above questions to my advisor at Tesla, but in the meantime I was hoping for some unbiased feedbac from this group.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Personally, I would just drop the 4 W-facing panels and call it a day. If they are shaded from noon on, they won’t be producing very efficiently, as W-facing panels hit their peak output around 1:30/2:30pm (depending on DST).

If you have National Grid or Eversource utilities at your Massachusetts location, they require a Gateway in Tesla install with the Powerwall+, because those utilities also require a separate production meter, and the Powerwall+ is designed fir single meter installs with a switch in its simplest form.
Yes, we have Eversource.

Personally, I would just drop the 4 W-facing panels and call it a day. If they are shaded from noon on, they won’t be producing very efficiently, as W-facing panels hit their peak output around 1:30/2:30pm (depending on DST).
True. I was thinking more for late fall through early spring when there are no leaves. I figure it will give us a little more boost in those months, though obviously it's not the most efficient use of PV panels.

I just got back my design from Tesla yesterday and I'm unsure of whether to accept it as-is. I've already communicated to my PA that there are places that were incorrectly picked up as HVAC ducting where new panels could go, but it also just seems like it's not running very close to the edge of the roof? Is there a minimum gap required between the edge of the solar array and the edge of the roof in NJ?

Anyway, here's the design, with the incorrectly identified ducting highlighted:

1620483683876.png

What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth trying to get a redesign or are they generally unwilling to budge on things like this?

I just got back my design from Tesla yesterday and I'm unsure of whether to accept it as-is. I've already communicated to my PA that there are places that were incorrectly picked up as HVAC ducting where new panels could go, but it also just seems like it's not running very close to the edge of the roof? Is there a minimum gap required between the edge of the solar array and the edge of the roof in NJ?

Anyway, here's the design, with the incorrectly identified ducting highlighted:

View attachment 660503

What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth trying to get a redesign or are they generally unwilling to budge on things like this?

They will budge. Just take some pictures of the roof. Preferably a drone if you know anyone that can do that for you. Send Tesla the pictures of the roof and a marked-up version of your current layout showing the vents that can be removed and where you would like the panels.

True. I was thinking more for late fall through early spring when there are no leaves. I figure it will give us a little more boost in those months, though obviously it's not the most efficient use of PV panels.
If you want to keep the W-facing panels, then I agree it would be better to have them on their own string. Would probably need to add 2 panels, which shouldn’t add too much cost.

Also try to get the layout modified so they are as high-up/close to the ridge as possible, and in the least shady spot (which would probably mean putting them as far south as possible).

They will budge. Just take some pictures of the roof. Preferably a drone if you know anyone that can do that for you. Send Tesla the pictures of the roof and a marked-up version of your current layout showing the vents that can be removed and where you would like the panels.
Thanks for the recommendation. I emailed my project advisor a few photos I took with my drone and provided a modified layout that I mocked up in Photoshop. Now let's see if they actually reply to email or if it's going to be more radio silence on that front.

Thanks for the recommendation. I emailed my project advisor a few photos I took with my drone and provided a modified layout that I mocked up in Photoshop. Now let's see if they actually reply to email or if it's going to be more radio silence on that front.
Give it a week, then call. They technically can take three weeeks to redo a design. But I find bugging once a week via phone call helps.