Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. You are correct about the Gateway. I thought you didn't need a Gateway with Powerwall + . As far as the wire sizing it might be an issue because at this time I'm not sure how far away the gateway is going to be from the powerwalls. I'll also need to check my existing drop to see the size. Here is a image from Tesla's ordering page that shows a 4 powerwall + configuration. What's interesting is that the picture changes as you edit the number of powerwalls. Thanks again.
Did you not talk with them about potentially where your want the powerwall during the physical site assessment early in the order process? By default they will try to place it close to the gateway is possible, less wiring for them so easier, if that's the case it's fairly short. I ask mine too be in the garage opposite side of the house.

The gateway can be many factor

1) has the local city and utility approved the back up switch?
2) does your main panel bus bar support the extra current after the normal house load? Most max out around 225a
3) does your panel enough breaker space? You need like 4x double pole breaker. The gateway has an optional breaker panel that allow them to tap the service drop instead of adding breaker to your panel

Ordered 27 Feb 2021. On Site 16 Jun 2021. Electrical Inspection 24 Jun 2021. PTO - Pending

1627074279385.png

Tesla Gateway 07102021.jpg

Tesla Inverters and Powerwalls 06242021.jpg

I got a hold of another rep on the phone yesterday and made them aware that the two trees in the back yard are now gone. Was told that they can redesign for free as long as the request comes in within 5 days of the original proposal, which is contrary to what the first rep I spoke with told me ($199 for any redesigns and 4-5 week wait). Had them move that one lone panel in the upper left hand corner for the house to the bottom area where they currently have 5 panels and also asked them to give another design with 4 extra panels to pretty much max out the roof. Was told that the additional panels would be about 2k including installation.
After hounding them about the redesign I finally had it escalated at just over 3 weeks into the waiting period. I finally got a text this morning indicating that the design team said the current layout is the most efficient and there are no further changes required. No word on additional panels update to the production estimate even though I told them about the trees and send additional pictures. Later today I get another text indicating that they've submitted paperwork for permitting, lol! I haven't even accepted the design or ran a credit check. If I got this level of "service" and they actually charged me $199 i'd be super pissed.

I reached out for a quote from another company and even they came back with 12.5k kwh/yr vs tesla's 10.4 even though they use google earth imagery also. I still don't understand how tesla's estimate can be so low, but if they are going to stick to it then I don't see how I can proceed with this project since we use about 16k kwh per year.

Received our first (almost full month) bill.
And this is AFTER a monthly increase of AC usage.
Looks like $484+ of electricity produced.

SoCal. 4kw SunPower. 8kW Tesla QCELL + Tesla inverter. 2 PW.

9B9D40FC-A607-412A-8F6E-2F169341614F.png

Attachments

• B1A42B2F-D82F-408B-9B07-01861744EBB7.png
    B1A42B2F-D82F-408B-9B07-01861744EBB7.png
    346.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
Yes, adding 8kW and 2PW. The past month of charges already include the existing 4kw sunpower production / offsets … assuming things were hooked up correctly? Ha.

It seems that peakshaving via the PWs are particularly valuable in SDGE territory (0.60c/kW, 4-9pm).
That’s great news. Added 12.24 kW/ 2 Powerwalls awaiting PTO from SCE.hoping to see similar results. My SCE bill was 539$ last month.

Hi everyone, I have an upcoming installation on the 29th of Nov. I just wanted to see which of these design would suit my case better. Unfortunately, original installation schedule was Sept 16 but got moved due to delays on my main panel upgrade to 200a. I‘m also unsure what size inverters I‘m getting. Reason for re-design on Plan B was I thought it would be better to have more West Facing Panels due to SCE pays more during this hours of productions. But I could definitely go back to Plan A due to constraints on the inverters if I was to get 7.6 and 3.8 as it would be meaningless to go with Plan B.

Sheet 8 of both Plans A and B (near the top middle of the sheet, in Product Specs) list 7.6kW inverters for both Powerwall+. So assuming that Tesla installs according to either plan, you're getting two 7.6kW inverters.
But Google street view from 2018 shows a tall columnar tree (Juniper?) at the south edge of the house. If it is still there, the shading would be quite substantial, I think. If that tree is still there, I guess plan A with more eastward panels may give better production, since the shade would affect those panels for most of the day. It's not easy to tell, though.

Sheet 8 of both Plans A and B (near the top middle of the sheet, in Product Specs) list 7.6kW inverters for both Powerwall+. So assuming that Tesla installs according to either plan, you're getting two 7.6kW inverters.
But Google street view from 2018 shows a tall columnar tree (Juniper?) at the south edge of the house. If it is still there, the shading would be quite substantial, I think. If that tree is still there, I guess plan A with more eastward panels may give better production, since the shade would affect those panels for most of the day. It's not easy to tell, though.
Thank you for this information! I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out which inverters I’m getting. Surprised by that since I’ve heard they usually pair them with 7.6kw and 3.8kw. It is not, that tree was long gone about 2 years now so its safe to assume that Plan B would be a better route? Did you find any red flags on that particular design?

Medium-time lurker, first time poster, but at least it's something worth while: permit approved 11/3 and install date of 11/22-11/24 out here in Costa Mesa, CA. We placed our order 7/21 (hello .99% Tesla loan) and had our site visit 9/30 (delayed 3 weeks when staff from the Irvine, CA office got sick, natural assumption is COVID but who knows).

8.16kW system, 1 PW+ and 1 PW2.1 (a weird naming convention I noticed in my permit, part number 3012170-05-B for you ERP/MRP sleuths), with Backup Gateway 2 for whole house backup functionality. I feel bad for their installers moving all those existing loads, as the design does NOT include a Backup Switch. Anywho, a roof layout attached, oriented north at the top.

Back half of the roof has two strings for one branch and the front has one string for the second branch. 8 PV modules per string, 24 total.

The electrical is brand new from a post-home purchase upgrade, which probably makes this easier. Fingers crossed we'll have a self-consumption mode running over Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• roof layout.jpg
    roof layout.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 86
Starter set:

7173E830-E37E-47BB-B3BA-67120E2189AE.png

Question is, I thought they made people buy a powerwall however I removed it and they are allowing me to proceed. Will they add it back?

Also, I was originally going to do a loan but now I’m thinking I might pay for half of it in cash, will they let to do it at down payment or do I need to get them to change the terms?