Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Travel trailer that you tow with your Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a T@G XL this week. Schedule has been crazy so no range tests yet but should have some soon. Ordering 4x Renogy 100W solar panels for the roof and a 2nd 100ah 12v battery for it. Hoping to use the a/c while boondocking.

Attachments

• T@G.jpg
    [email protected]
    455 KB · Views: 447
We picked up a Sunset Park Sun-Lite 16BH yesterday. Towed it home almost 200 miles with the Y through the hills of I-81 in Virginia. I took it slow at 55 mph for the whole trip and ended up with consumption in the 550 to 575 Wh/mi range (temp 70F, dry road, stiff crosswinds). The Y did an amazing job towing, was very stable, and had plenty of power to take the ups and downs through the hills with ease. For this trip it seemed like a plan of 1% of range per mile was a good estimate for my planning purposes that allowed me to arrive at the first charging stop and at home with around 20-ish percent remaining after starting out around 90%-ish (two legs at 80 to 90 miles each). This was by far my biggest concern as I really wasn't sure what the aerodynamic profile of this particular camper was going to do to range.

View attachment 648412
Hi How do you like the Sunset Park Sunlite? I am looking at that unit, too. I am just not sure about the company and how well they are built?

Do you have any issues?

Thank you.

The 17' F1743 has almost as much space, it's lighter and perhaps nearly as aero. And it's at 17", which is a more standard tow height. But it takes even longer to get if you order it.
Any of the various Safari Condo Alto models will be well suited for towing with a Y due to their light weight. And they are high quality trailers. See Alto – Lightweight Travel Trailers | Safari Condo

I have been towing an Alto F1743 for over 3 years with my X. Check out A “Safari Condo” is not an apartment in the Serengeti…

Attachments

• DDDBC9C5-04A1-4DA6-A7C4-021F16B99380.jpeg
    DDDBC9C5-04A1-4DA6-A7C4-021F16B99380.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 304
  • A0E25AFF-62EA-4A0C-8325-A955117F0992.jpeg
    A0E25AFF-62EA-4A0C-8325-A955117F0992.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
I'm new here and was hoping to find out more information on what people are finding the power consumption to be in the real world. I bought a new MY the first week of November and then bought a 2018, 17' Casita trailer. I'm in Washington and found the trailer in the Sacramento area. It was a lot of experimenting during the 700 mile trip back north. You don't want to go over 50-55 mph if you want to go very far! You have to know the terrain you are heading into also. Mountains will suck the life out of your battery quickly. I left Redding Ca. with a 90% charge and planned on spending the night in Mount Shasta KOA. It was a total of 62 mile from Redding and would have made it with a slight cushion but didn't realize not only was I going up a mountain pass, I was fighting a brisk headwind too! I did experience "Range anxiety" that day! The last two miles on the freeway was on the shoulder of the road going about 10 mph and the battery on 0%..... Damn lucky the supercharger was just off of the highway!!! My trailer is about 3000 pounds with my stuff in it and has an Anderson chain type weight compensating hitch with its own antisway system built in. I'm heading out soon to see the US and hope to get a better feel how far I can nurse the mileage out on the flat highways. I'm kind of worried about some areas in Texas as some distances between charge stations are pushing 130 miles. I don't really know that part of the US so don't know what's going to happen!! Let the adventure begain!

If you have any insight with your towing experience, please post and let me know please!
Did you post your travels with your Y? I recently took delivery of a Y and is in the process of getting the tow hitch (that's another long story). I plan to tow a 1800 dry weight Safari Condo Alto R1723 and hope to travel light, target 2200 lb or so. I would be interested to learn from your experiences.

live in Hawthorne NV getting 104 miles range at 55 miles per hour lots of hills
din.jpg

Dimensions
Length
18 ft. (216 in.)
Width
6.75 ft. (81 in.)
Height
8.67 ft. (104 in.)
Weight
Dry Weight
2,390 lbs.
Payload Capacity
731 lbs.
GVWR
3,320 lbs.
Hitch Weight
320 lbs.
Holding Tanks
Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks
Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity
24.0 gal.
Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks
Total Gray Water Tank Capacity
18.0 gal.
Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks
Total Black Water Tank Capacity
17.0 gal.
Propane Tank(s)
Number Of Propane Tanks
Total Propane Tank Capacity
4.7 gal.
20 lbs.
Construction
Body Material
Aluminum
Sidewall Construction
Aluminum
Doors
Number of Doors
Sliding Glass Door
No
Slideouts
Number of Slideouts
Power Retractable Slideout
No
Awning
Number of Awnings
Awning Length
7.6 ft. (91 in.)
Power Retractable Awning
No
Screened Room
No

Reactions: Araman0
@farrell thanks for the data. What is your Wh/mi number while towing at 55mph? See if you can find a flat stretch of road, at least 20 miles, reset one of your trip odometers and measure your Wh/mi while towing on a level dry road with no headwind/tailwind at 55mph. That way you can compare your trailer to others.

For my Alto F1743, under those towing condition, I use 385 to 425Wh/mi. Of course I’m towing with an X and this thread is about the Y, I am aware of that. Your trailer is roughly the same shape and size as mine but it is about 30% heavier. That extra weight won’t make a significant difference at 55mph.

live in Hawthorne NV getting 104 miles range at 55 miles per hour lots of hills
View attachment 804595

Dimensions
Length
18 ft. (216 in.)
Width
6.75 ft. (81 in.)
Height
8.67 ft. (104 in.)
Weight
Dry Weight
2,390 lbs.
Payload Capacity
731 lbs.
GVWR
3,320 lbs.
Hitch Weight
320 lbs.
Holding Tanks
Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks
Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity
24.0 gal.
Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks
Total Gray Water Tank Capacity
18.0 gal.
Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks
Total Black Water Tank Capacity
17.0 gal.
Propane Tank(s)
Number Of Propane Tanks
4.7 gal.
20 lbs.
Construction
Body Material
Aluminum
Sidewall Construction
Aluminum
Doors
Number of Doors
Sliding Glass Door
No
Slideouts
Number of Slideouts
Power Retractable Slideout
No
Awning
Number of Awnings
Awning Length
7.6 ft. (91 in.)
Power Retractable Awning
No
Screened Room
No
Farrell would you mind sharing a few more details of your set up, specifically are you using a weight distribution hitch and do you know your trailer's actual tongue weight is when loaded?
From what I can tell the tow bar that comes on the Y (being class 2) doesn't technically support the use of a WD hitch but it looks like a lot of owners use them regardless. IMHO if your trailer is still within the weight limits and you are using a WD hitch set to a reasonable amount of distribution it should be fine. Given that the amount of distribution (tension) is variable and up to the user it's not black and white on whether a WD hitch will be harmful or improve the towing experience (again just my opinion here :) )

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone recommend any particular rear-view mirror extensions? Wife and I are pulling an inTech Sol Dawn and would love to have a little better visibility behind us... We're looking into a remote backup cam for it (the RV is pre-wired for it, we just didn't pull the trigger on the option when ordering), but having the extended mirrors as well would be nice...
Also, do the remote backup cams pull power from the 12v aux connection at the hitch plug, or just from the RV battery?

do the remote backup cams pull power from the 12v aux connection at the hitch plug, or just from the RV battery?
I believe the electrical connection at the hitch is to trigger your trailer brake lights when your in-car brake controller activates them, and if you add a rear-facing camera to your trailer you need to wire it into the trailers electrical system.

Years ago I found some clamp-on extendable side mirrors on Amazon (sorry, do not recall the brand) that I keep in my X in case the rearview camera I added to my trailer fails, but so far it has not. However, for a variety of reasons I don’t recommend the camera I bought. See the bottom of this page to read what I think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone recommend any particular rear-view mirror extensions? Wife and I are pulling an inTech Sol Dawn and would love to have a little better visibility behind us... We're looking into a remote backup cam for it (the RV is pre-wired for it, we just didn't pull the trigger on the option when ordering), but having the extended mirrors as well would be nice...
Also, do the remote backup cams pull power from the 12v aux connection at the hitch plug, or just from the RV battery?
We’re using the Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero 3 on our Y and would fully recommend them! Once you have your method of installation dialed they are quick and easy to take off / put on and make the difference beteeen seeing or not seeing that truck coming up in the lane next to you…a must have IMO!
Here’s a link but will probably go to Amazon Canada but will show you the product
Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01C7P7EOU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share