Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Travel trailer that you tow with your Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out the link below. It has low weights (2540 UVW and 210 hitch) as well as a good layout with dry bath, queen bed, large fridge, overkill a/c/heat and jack-knife sofa. Downside is aerodynamic profile although it has some forward slope it'll probably have about 20 less miles of range than a similar weighted pop-up.
Retro Travel Trailer – 135 | Riverside RV

I love that retro look.
I considered this trailer a while back and rejected because it seemed like it would have way too much drag.
Sure has a lot of nice features, though. I might have to give it another look! :)

https://safaricondo.com/en/travel-trailer-alto-serie-a-2124/

If you look in the X forums, there are a couple of people that have tried the 21' A2124. They are not only light for the size (2500lbs), but pretty aero (shaped kind of like a speedboat, so it gives up some space for aero). Indeed it seems to be a near second only to the Bowlus Road Chief in terms of aero performance. The main issue with the X is that you technically need to replace the hitch on the X, as the X hitch is at 17" and only allows a 3/4" riser, but the A2124 trailer is at 20". That said, there is an X owner towing an A2124 with the standard hitch. And, of course, the Y hitch is different.

We recently ordered one...but it will take a year to get here. It's mostly for towing with my wife's car (an X now, and a Cybertruck later); but I may have a Y by the time it gets here. I could try it and report back here, but...yeah, that will be a while.

The 17' F1743 has almost as much space, it's lighter and perhaps nearly as aero. And it's at 17", which is a more standard tow height. But it takes even longer to get if you order it.

I'd love to learn more about the nucamp barefoot mentioned a few posts back. It's already in the UK, and coming to the US...soon. They say 2020, anyway. It looks like it should be reasonably aero, and probably around 2100lbs dry. Maybe in the $35k vicinity? Probably pretty close to the F1743 in size and price, although the F1743 is notably lighter at 1765lbs.

Last edited:
I have a newbie question about towing a small camper trailer with a Tesla. I gather most campsites or RV parks provide hookups for electric (and also water and probably sewer). And I know people have mentioned charging their Tesla at a campsite using the 50 amp outlet provided for RVs. How do you charge the car and provide power to the camper (for lighting, furnace etc) at the same time? Or do you have to switch the power between Tesla and camper at different times? Thinking of eventually adding a Y to our Tesla family and the thought of pulling a small trailer is appealing.

Thinking about doing the same myself. I found this thread helpful: Campsite experiences: is 14-50 or TT-30 more common?

• Informative
Reactions: dixosw
I have a newbie question about towing a small camper trailer with a Tesla. I gather most campsites or RV parks provide hookups for electric (and also water and probably sewer). And I know people have mentioned charging their Tesla at a campsite using the 50 amp outlet provided for RVs. How do you charge the car and provide power to the camper (for lighting, furnace etc) at the same time? Or do you have to switch the power between Tesla and camper at different times? Thinking of eventually adding a Y to our Tesla family and the thought of pulling a small trailer is appealing.
Get the NEMA 14-50 or 14-30 adapters for your mobile connector.

Picked up a new retro 135 yesterday and towed it 275 miles to home. Had a 102 mile leg and a 115 leg. Looks like absolute range would be at around 140 if you keep it fairly slow. Ran 53 mph on cruise most of the way.

IMG_7659.JPG

Very nice, love the retro look, thanks for posting.
Did you install a brake controller?

Fred
Yes on the brake controller. The hook up is easy. Only problem is laying your hands on the wiring pigtail which is supposed to be included with your vehicle but isn't. When you try to order from Tesla, they tell you it's a Model X part only and they can't order it for you. My SA had to order using their X loaner VIN (even though the part says no VIN needed) and I had to pay for it (4 bucks).

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
Yes on the brake controller. The hook up is easy. Only problem is laying your hands on the wiring pigtail which is supposed to be included with your vehicle but isn't. When you try to order from Tesla, they tell you it's a Model X part only and they can't order it for you. My SA had to order using their X loaner VIN (even though the part says no VIN needed) and I had to pay for it (4 bucks).
Good to know, will reach out to the SA and get on it, they are pretty good. I also looked all over the internet for one, couldn’t find one.

Which Controller did you get? Thinking of getting the P2.

Fred

Went to my SC, even though they are closed for backlog work, they were still able to help me out, got the Brake Controller pigtail for $4.74, they had it in stock. now I can order the P3 and get it installed.

ASY, HARN, TRAILER BRAKE ECU ADAPTER

1072586-00-A

E48E1368-8585-4556-BF0C-69B0C87C15AE.jpeg

Went to my SC, even though they are closed for backlog work, they were still able to help me out, got the Brake Controller pigtail for $4.74, they had it in stock. now I can order the P3 and get it installed.

ASY, HARN, TRAILER BRAKE ECU ADAPTER

1072586-00-A

View attachment 602078

What did you tell them to be able to get it? My SC says they can't order it for me unless there is a Model X VIN they can tag it to.

What did you tell them to be able to get it? My SC says they can't order it for me unless there is a Model X VIN they can tag it to.
My SA took me to the parts guy where they keep stock of parts and I told him I needed to order the brake controller pigtail because it doesn’t come with the Model Y assembly, he said hold on, went to the parts cage and pulled one out, I told them that the Model X comes with it and that it’s the same connector that the Y uses. He rang it up on the computer and charged my Tesla Account. No model X VIN number needed, he just used the Model Y VIN to complete the transaction.

I’m still waiting for a call from them when my Hitch arrives so I can schedule to get it installed. The P3 brake controller has been ordered on Amazon, hoping to have that installed before the Hitch goes in.

Never had any issues with Tesla SC in San Diego, they have always been very helpful 100% of the times.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: fly4fun
Good to know, will reach out to the SA and get on it, they are pretty good. I also looked all over the internet for one, couldn’t find one.

Which Controller did you get? Thinking of getting the P2.

Fred

I got the Tekonsha Primus IQ which works the same way as the P2 and P3 but is a better value...works fine.
Also, just an FYI, in the Y owners manual it states that the brake controller pigtail is supplied with the car...it's not and that doesn't help them ordering it. Also, in the parts catalog it specifically states "no VIN required", yet they can't order without one.