Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your VIN if you rejected your car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that would be an utterly catastrophic policy that encourages employees to insert visible but superficial flaws. Tesla please stop inventing bullshit incentives like this.

So the theory is that employees are risking their jobs in order to allow their fellow employees to buy cars at a discount? Color me skeptical that this is a strong incentive. Let alone 'utterly catastrophic'.

Agreed. Losing your job and going to jail sounds like an awful lot of risk for what is probably a couple thousands dollars off of the price of a car. I'm not saying there aren't people out there stupid enough to do it, but "catastrophic" sounds like a bit much.

Mine was pre-rejected by my DA. Supposedly there were paint issues on the hood and one of the doors. I asked for pictures multiple times but never received any even though they kept telling me they would. So I'm not sure if there really was an issue or not although I have no idea why they would lie. But I constantly felt like I wasn't told the truth as there was delay after delay. To the point where I showed up on delivery day, after travelling 7 hours on a train, only to be told my car wasn't ready. I thought I was going home empty handed. Somehow another car (with a much lower VIN number) was found for me. Who knows what was wrong with it prior to it falling into my lap? Hopefully you can understand why I sound so jaded. My delivery day was pretty awful, especially compared to so many other happy deliveries I see on here. Oh BTW, this was at Mt Kisco and I see someone else started a thread about being happy that they found a paint issue with his car and are fixing it. Sounds suspiciously familiar. Makes me wonder if they are just using this excuse as a delay tactic.

So TL;DR, for VIN 11086 I was told it received a full repaint job due to dirt in the paint.

Reactions: Fusion and Amit519
I rejected delivery yersterday. I didn’t see the car in person but they said there is discoloration on the hood. I got the notice just 2 hrs before the delivery appointment. I am so disappointed. Any ideas on how long would it take to get a new VIN?

Notice that on this entire thread not one person has actually reported rejecting their car. Says a little something about improved quality I think.
I'd argue it says even more about desperation. Rejecting due to fit and finish issues to wait another month for more of the same? A temporary descent into hell would be more tolerable after many have been waiting for over 2 years now.

I'm in IT and have been (off & on) for a couple of decades. I'm not brand loyal anymore but I used to buy exclusively Dell (in the late '90's-early '00's). I actually had less problems with their refurbished computers than I did with their brand new ones. My theory was that if a computer was returned/rejected then they would go over it with a fine toothed comb before they sold it as refurbished. So, in a sense, they did better QC on the refurbs.

A desktop computer is MUCH more simple than a Model 3 so it might not be a valid comparison but I kind of don't think I'd shy away from a rejected Model 3 as long as all of the cosmetic stuff was good on delivery. Though, Dell would offer a discount. I don't think Tesla is going to.

I'm actually really interested in some responses here. I received my VIN last week and am scheduled for delivery this Friday. Its Solid Black Aero with a VIN in 10xxx, which seems pretty low given where they are at. I have some concern that it was a rejected delivery.

I got an earlier VIN (8xxx) when I picked up 2 weeks ago and the car turned out almost perfect. Like you I had the same concerns but after giving it some thought I realized i might be better off with an earlier VIN. Earlier VINs were made when the line was running much slower with more oversight by engineering. So workers were probably more careful, robots were being carefully monitored and as a result tolerances much tighter and QC had less cars to inspect per hour. Even if something did get past QC and was caught later and had to be quarantined and reworked it would go though another thorough final inspection before being released. So essentially 2 final inspections at least. For those concerned about rework, I work in manufacturing and rework happens. Nobody is perfect especially with something so complex like this. When it happens there is often no way to tell if it happened unless you have access to production data. I also freaked a little when I first saw my VIN but after some deep thought realized I was probably fussing over nothing. Everyone has a different tolerance for defects and everyone on this forum is hypersensitive to it. Don’t bring the checklist. Bring your own eyes and your own bias and use that as your checklist. Use the 3 second rule whereby when you do your walk-around look at each feature or article for 3 seconds. Ask anyone accompanying you to do the same. If you don’t see anything, move on. Most likely nobody else will see it too which means it’s not a show stopper. If you miss something it’s most likely going to be minor and can be fixed by the SC. Move on. The car is awesome. Don’t let something so trivial ruin what should be an awesome experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: stef and DR61