Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Posted 0-60 times using which wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know, the only reason to stagger the wheels is acceleration. I’m sure lighter rims would also help with acceleration, but Elon recommending staggered wheels implies to me that the Performance model 3 is being held back by the grip of it’s tires.

The upgrade buys pretty bling:
larger and heavier 20 inch-wheels (bling)
performance Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires ( get the same tires in 18 when you smoke them off the car in 24 months)
carbon fiber lip spoiler (bling)
lower suspension, I think it is 10 mm of lowering (I wouldn’t notice this)
aluminum alloy pedals (bling)
speed bumped to 155 from 145 (bragging rights)
performance brakes with red painted calipers (maybe worth it if you track this puppy) for a daily driver you won’t need this due to regen

I do not see additional claims about faster acceleration.
View attachment 320802
I absolutely love bling and bragging rights.

I'll be able to do it very very soon. I get my bling on Aug. 4th.

If you can't overcome the friction of the stock tires and make them chirp how will a stickier or wider tire make the car accelerate faster?

Because traction control. You can't overcome the grip of any tire with traction control enabled (and you can't disable it in any "supported" way). If traction control detects less slippage with better tires, acceleration improves.

As far as I know, the only reason to stagger the wheels is acceleration. I’m sure lighter rims would also help with acceleration, but Elon recommending staggered wheels implies to me that the Performance model 3 is being held back by the grip of it’s tires.
This!!! Get the 18’s and just swap to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Bet the number gets better!!!

Because traction control. You can't overcome the grip of any tire with traction control enabled (and you can't disable it in any "supported" way). If traction control detects less slippage with better tires, acceleration improves.
Get the 18’s and add the $210 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and you will see a SIGNIFICANT improvement. Tires mean everything on high performance cars!! Maybe add some more contact patch by going a little wider.

More patch = more performance to a point.
BND TechSource - Tire Data Calculator

Ask any racer on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
That may be true, but each tire has a signifant impact to a couple areas I do value:
1. My wallet
2. My time. There is no spare and if you have ever had a flat due to the god aweful low profile tires you will know what I mean
3 NVH. Noise vibration and harshness this car is quiet and you don’t want ride around hearing and feeling every single little bump, joint and imperfection.
4. Dry Handling
5. Wet Handling
6 snow handling

Having spent thousands of dollars replacing all three of my Model S’s 21 turbines over many years, and moving back to the 19s on all three cars, was a significant expense and tire size had a huge impact. It can mean the difference between you and misses spending hours on the side of the road waiting for service to show up due due to multiple shattered wheels over thousands of miles or replacing 4 $500 tires due to hitting a small pot hole, plus the rapid wear due to the excessive weight and high torque output of a Tesla compared to pretty all other cars in its class.

Downgrading to 19″ Wheels

For me it cost the followings:
3 sets of 21 inch turbines $12,000
3 replacement sets of Wheels and tires 19’s $6000
Replacement of 21 tires annual before I got smart $1881 x 3 sets
3 cracked wheels $500 each
Time sitting on side of road listening to my wife Bitch about buying a car without a spare $?
3 tires that had sidewalls blow out $375 to $500 depending on which wheel it was plus time sitting on the road with the boss, wife, kid a practice asking me where the hell I was. $?

It’s made a huge difference in my costs and level of stress. 3/10s doesn’t mean anything in this car when everything around you is full seconds slower on their best driving day. If you add it up I could put down a $25,000 deposit in the savings if I had just gone with the smaller wheels when I initially bought the cars.

1) LOL How do you respond when women do that? :D

2) you mean the Tesla doesn’t come with spare tire? So what do you all do for road trips? Can of fix a flat? :/

I think I found my mono block forged wheels --- $470 each and only 18 pounds ..

Titan 7 T-S5 Wheel - 18x9.5 / 5x114.3 / Offset +40 (Satin Titanium) | Evasive Motorsports

or these

Titan 7 T-R10 Wheel - 18x9.5 / 5x114.3 / Offset +40 (Machine Black) | Evasive Motorsports

Just need a hub ring to bring it from 73mm center bore to 64.1mm center bore -
Muteki Hub Ring 73mm / 64mm | Evasive Motorsports

Lifetime structural warranty too!!!

3.6 lbs lighter than bare aeros and 5 lbs lighter than the stock 18 inch with aeros on - specs here - Titan 7 Forged Wheels - Forged For All

@TurnFast What do you think? Add some Michelin PSS 4s's..... I think I can set a new record with these....

Stock size is
  • Size: 18X8.5"
  • Offset: +40
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover)
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
  • Price: No Charge
  • Tire Spec: Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W
  • Details: This is the original base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model 3 free of charge.