TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

posting images

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by doug, Dec 17, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Two things:

1.) These photos are too big. Try to limit image size such that when embedded, the format of the page still fits within the width of a monitor at 1280 by 1024 resolution. The "large" size from Flickr (1024x768) works fine but isn't always necessary. Using the "medium" size (500x375) while linking to a larger size is best in most situations. Some forum sights automatically resize images, but ours doesn't for the time being.

2.) These photos are already posted several places on the forum including this very thread.

2. just-an-allusion

1.) Apologies, though the availability of these "high-res" photos prompts one to question why similar "high-res" images are not available from Tesla" so that I can "post-whore" them on site"???"

2.) But, but...the others are not in "high-res"!!! (You'll have to admit that they're pretty cool...there's even a nice high-res image of the motor bay so that people can now make out what the labels say)

Admonishment noted and will proceed accordingly.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

There are lots of high-res shots at Tesla's site. Check the media section.

4. doug

Umm... Tesla has plenty of high-res images on their site here: Tesla Motors - Image Library

Also they have plenty of images in their Flickr photostream: Flickr: Tesla Motors Image Library's Photostream

Try going to the beginning of this thread and clicking on some of the pictures. Behold the wondrous high resolution images.

5. just-an-allusion

So...is this to say that I do have permission to post-whore pimping (I've really got to stop listening to the urban-influenced music programs, lol!) , high-res images of Tesla's on the site here???

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It is just unfriendly to people browsing the site to post ANY images (of Tesla or otherwise) that are too big. It makes the page slow to download, and causes scrollbars to show up. As Doug suggested, smaller than 1024x768 inline seems fine, but if you want to show off a bigger image post a link to it.

Not a hard, fast rule - just a strong suggestion.

7. just-an-allusion

I get it, inconsiderate of me due to unfamiliarity with page loading issues, it just did not occur to me due to my never having been affected by it...pardon me my ignorance.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'm not sure where the others stand, but I see little point in posting Tesla's own image library here - we all know where to go to get them and there is a gallery section on this site too (albeit one that isn't working at the moment).

9. graham

graham Active Member

I certainly agree. Unless trying to point something specific about a particular photo, most have seen / downloaded them already and know where to go to get them again.

10. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

#10 Kevin Harney, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009

Attached Files:

11. Kevin Harney

#11 Kevin Harney, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    A little crude but it worked ....first time with the program and I really didn't want to spend too much time on it ...

12. Kevin Harney

How do I get a bigger picture in there instead of a thumbnail ?

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
    When you edit posts there is a little color sunset you can click then enter a URL to insert it as an image. Or you can type [ IMG ] http://URL [ /IMG ]

14. Kevin Harney

That is funny cause I really wanted to know what the Model S would look like as a hard top convertible :)

15. Kevin Harney

So how do I know the URL to enter ? Sorry I am so new to this...obviously you found my image that I uploaded...

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Click on the thumbnail and it will pop up a full sized image. Then right click it and then click copy shortcut (or the equivalent "Copy link location" in Firefox) and that gives you your url, which you can paste.

17. doug

Figure it out here then post in the other thread. I suggest you upload your images to Flickr.com. Your current image is too large to embed without messing up formatting. Flickr will automatically give you several image sizes to choose from. Then you just use IMG tags around the url for the image.

18. Kevin Harney

All that sounds too complicated. Sorry I am just an ignorant fool. Wish I had more time to figure it out. Way out of my league. Guess I will just stick with thumbnails ...

19. Kevin Harney

#19 Kevin Harney, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    So how does this work ???

[​IMG]

20. Kevin Harney

I think this old dog is learning some new tricks afterall :eek: