Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Postpone New Car Purchase?

Did you postpone a new/used car purchase within the next two years to wait for the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Honda Accord with about 55k miles on it.

I planned on buying a new car in the spring or summer of 2017, but decided instead to reserve and wait for a Model 3 (likely adding a year or more to my wait). Did anyone else do that?

I have a 2013 Honda Accord with about 55k miles on it.

I planned on buying a new car in the spring or summer of 2017, but decided instead to reserve and wait for a Model 3 (likely adding a year or more to my wait). Did anyone else do that?

Yes...I told my wife the plan to wait 2 years longer which got me the eye roll

The M3 was originally going to be available a little later than I wanted for a new purchase as my previous car would have been well over 100,000 miles by then. Now it's just about right timing wise and if everything holds true maybe it's even a little earlier than I would have preferred.

Nope... In my case, the Model S replaced my Leaf last year (lease ended) and I had intended the Model 3 to replace my 2014 Accord Sport 6MT (that I picked up in December 2013) around the end of 2018 or maybe sometime in 2019--I was fully expecting the usual Tesla delays, especially since they'd work with my timeline. After yesterday's investor call, however, I'm a little concerned since I'm in California, reserved a Model 3 right after the webcast ended (so, probably within the first 150k), am a current Tesla owner, and am not intending on ordering a base model. If they really do make good on their production targets, that might mean the Model 3 shows up a year ahead of what I was planning for.

Was planning on a 2nd car for the family in late 2016/early 2017 - postponed for Model 3 reservation.

Also, once price/options are finalized figured that would be late 2017. If a CPO 2015/2016 Model S winds up being in a similar price range as a specced out M3, we may opt for the Model S. Right now, just in wait-and-see mode!

It seems like a lot people would rather drive ICE than any option other than a Model 3.

If you haven't driven a small EV yet, at least do a test drive. Some used ones are as cheap as $6000. If you can find a Spark EV, it's the best bang for the buck. It's a little pocket rocket and cheap. It's a Tardis car, it's bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside.

If you pick up a used EV for $10k, and sell it for $6k when your TM3 arrives, you will have a nice deposit on the TM3 for virtually no additional cost over driving your ICE.

But what I think you will find, is that even small cheap EVs are a superior driving experience in urban settings.

Reactions: Breezy
I have postponed final order on my Model X. Put in deposit 28 months ago - Tesla has been prompting me to put in my specs for the order but I am waiting - I went to a demo day where there were 5 Model X's - they all had some issues including two that had door problems. After reading about all of the delivery issues I am waiting 6 months and hope they get it figured out how to deliver a problem free car. Mercedes, Lexus and even Cadillac do a much better job - for cars that cost less! I am usually an early adapter but it appears that Model X owners are being used as Beta testers.
I also have a deposit on a Model 3, but delivery is probably 2 to 3 years away even though Elan said yesterday that the were advancing the production schedules. If he sleeps in the factory as he said he would maybe the quality problems will get fixed.

I was within one week of pulling the trigger on an S. My wife and I had finally agreed on color and options. Then I told my her that the 3 will be 20% smaller at ~ half the price. She loves a "bargain" so she killed my S and I reserved the 3. Hope it will be worth the 2 year wait!

I've been shopping for 2 years for a car and almost pulled the trigger on a used A7. I just couldn't do it and i'm so glad i didnt. I was waiting for something that was TECHY... (i'm a big tech nerd). So when this Model 3 came out i just knew it was meant to be. it allows me to save for 2 more years. I just hope my current 2001 Nissan Sentra holds up. LOL.

Initially, I had no plans to purchase another car during my remaining lifetime after purchasing my Prius in 2013 (I'm pushing 70 years). So I answered no. After seeing the reveal of the M3, I decided I had to have one more riding experience fling before I die. What do they call it when old gizzers want to act like they're in their 30's or 40's?

I recall riding in my friend's 1964 Pontiac GTO a few days after he bought it. He took me me for a 0-60 ride of sorts. When he hit the pedal to floor after releasing the clutch, I'm sure I had the same stupid and exhilarating look on my face as M3 passengers had taking their short ride at the reveal. Back then, his GTO could do 0-60 well under 6 seconds. I can't imagine what it would feel like in an ludicrous equipped M3. Just worried about a heart attack :)