Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Postpone New Car Purchase?

Did you postpone a new/used car purchase within the next two years to wait for the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially, I had no plans to purchase another car during my remaining lifetime after purchasing my Prius in 2013 (I'm pushing 70 years). So I answered no. After seeing the reveal of the M3, I decided I had to have one more riding experience fling before I die. What do they call it when old gizzers want to act like they're in their 30's or 40's?

I recall riding in my friend's 1964 Pontiac GTO a few days after he bought it. He took me me for a 0-60 ride of sorts. When he hit the pedal to floor after releasing the clutch, I'm sure I had the same stupid and exhilarating look on my face as M3 passengers had taking their short ride at the reveal. Back then, his GTO could do 0-60 well under 6 seconds. I can't imagine what it would feel like in an ludicrous equipped M3. Just worried about a heart attack :)
For all you know you could be at it well into your 90s. That Model 3 might be gone long before you!

I have an aging (early 2005 model year) Volvo that was getting ready to collapse early this year. I put a few k in repair work to keep it going rather than get a new car and I'm hoping that I can keep this car going until my Model 3 arrives.

East coaster who waited in line (in the first 50 people at the Tesla store I was at) and planning to go for a pretty spec'ed out order. Hoping that all I need is for my car to survive about 15-18 months which I think is totally doable (fingers crossed)

Reactions: Justmurr
I actually went a different direction...I went with a trade in of my 2014 Mustang to a 2005 Volvo.
I downgraded in an effort to save up as much $$$ as possible until delivery time. I just need that volvo to make it through without major issue.

I have an aging (early 2005 model year) Volvo that was getting ready to collapse early this year. I put a few k in repair work to keep it going rather than get a new car and I'm hoping that I can keep this car going until my Model 3 arrives.

East coaster who waited in line (in the first 50 people at the Tesla store I was at) and planning to go for a pretty spec'ed out order. Hoping that all I need is for my car to survive about 15-18 months which I think is totally doable (fingers crossed)

Ummm...hello person in exactly almost the same situation as myself. Was in line within first 50...have 05 S40 (now)...fingers also crossed

We have a pair of Toyotas, both base models. I'm driving a Vanpool for my 45-mile-round trip commute, so no concerns about any kind of wait. Neither car is very comfortable for much over an hour's worth of driving, so I'm hoping the charging network along the I-5 corridor will be expanded by delivery.

We chose to lease an i3 alongside our existing Model S so we could go all-electric sooner while not committing beyond the expected arrival of the Model 3. It will be interesting to see how close the timing turns out to be.

Nice! What color and model spec do you have? I've got a black AWD (and of course blacked out windows and tail lights :p)

Yours sounds much nicer...mine has some signs of being used, had 1 accident and is rocking 115k miles...
It's a red S40 w/ grey leather.....rides smooth and I got a decent number on my trade in...
I do fear a need for rotors before Model 3 time...but I hope nothing more major than that.

No. We replaced the first gas car in 2015 (VW Jetta making room for VW e-Golf) and are replacing the second gas car June 2016 (Honda Oddysee making room for Tesla Model X). The model 3 reservation is there to replace the VW e-Golf, or for a friend of ours to be able to get a Model 3 early.

So far we are happy with the e-Golf since the way my wife drives it she gets about 110 miles range out of it. It is EPA rated for 84 miles only, but she takes it through traffic 40 and sometimes 80 miles a day (commuting twice the same day) and then still has 30 miles range left.

I honestly was not expecting the Model 3 to arrive so early, also since I did an online reservation on the day of the reveal, rather than standing in line for it. One thought was to reevaluate our decision to go with Model X now in 3 years when the back purchase warranty comes up. I presume range and autopilot will be dramatically improved by then and our budgets may also have changed, so downgrading to a Model 3/Y or a more new Model X will be interesting then...

I'm driving a 2002 Camry that just turned 270,000 miles. I bought it in 2006. When I heard about the forthcoming Chevy Volt, I thought that would be the perfect car for me when it came out. Then I heard about Tesla.

The Model S was about to happen and I read Musk's "secret plan". Bluestar, Gen 3, Model E - I watched the name change as I bought the stock at $40, sold some at $80 to 'pay back' my initial investment and kept the rest of the stock as 'profit'.

So, no - no more thoughts of a Volt. Yeah.. I'm taking RELIGIOUSLY good care of my car to make sure it lasts long enough to be my last ICE car. If something happens and I have to buy another vehicle, that'll eat the money I'm putting aside every month to pay for my Model 3.

I've become such an electric convert, I'm crunching numbers on a Audi A3 eTron while I wait. But I think il end up just keeping my Camry Hybrid till the 3 arrives. Just hoping us in right hand drive countries arnt waiting too long...

I've become such an electric convert, I'm crunching numbers on a Audi A3 eTron while I wait. But I think il end up just keeping my Camry Hybrid

Direct experience with the Audi eTron is nice inside, if a bit tight in the back for adults, fine for kids. All electric range (AER) is not much, about 30 km on a good day. It's a quiet nice ride. The Volt feels more premium, and is far quicker off the line in pure electric mode, and has triple the AER of the Audi. If it were my money, Volt all day, and I am no fan of GM!

Yes and No. I purchased my F150 2 years ago. My wife was driving an '08 CRV. When I started talking about the M3, I got the "you can't get a new car before I do". So we went that day and traded her car for an HRV. Gotta grease the wheels so to speak.

The F150 is a '09 with 130k miles so it will certainly be time to replace it when the M3 comes, but I had no plans to trade it in until the M3 reveal.

Leased ford focus electric due back Aug 2017. With the new plan for more deliveries at the end of 2017, I may try to extend month-to-month or live with one car until the 3 arrives (preordered in-store in california (non-owner) so hopefully its not too long). At this point, timing doesn't look right for another 3 year lease or a temporary car.