Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Postponed delivery at Fremont Delivery Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Went to pick up a blue AWD LR today at Fremont Delivery Hub (there is another pickup spot at the factory, btw) around 6:30pm today. CS person was nice, admitting all the flaws (you know we are known for bad quality)
Inspected externally without accepting a delivery. Major things are:
- driver side doors paint is quite orange peely
- misaligned taillights (charging port was flush on both sides btw!)
- driver rear wheel well black trim was pretty off
- front bumper was badly scratched
- passenger rear door was lower

because of the scratch, they pulled it back to check, and texted that delivery is postponed until tomorrow. Gonna replace the bumper.

I haven't accepted the delivery and didn't pay for the car yet.
My question is: had anyone successfully fixed the door misalignments at their service visit? CS person told me it's likely within the spec, but he admitted he is not a technitian so can't tell for sure. Doors positions are clearly off, see pictures.

Maybe I should reject it?

Attachments

• IMG_7387.jpeg
    IMG_7387.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7389.jpeg
    IMG_7389.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7393.jpeg
    IMG_7393.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7395.jpeg
    IMG_7395.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7396.jpeg
    IMG_7396.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7399.jpeg
    IMG_7399.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7402.jpeg
    IMG_7402.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7400.jpeg
    IMG_7400.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7398.jpeg
    IMG_7398.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 70
My question is: had anyone successfully fixed the door misalignment at their service visit?
CS person told me it's likely within the spec, but he admitted he is not a technician so can't tell for sure.
Doors positions are clearly off, see pictures.
Maybe I should reject it?
There are many YouTube videos showing how to correct a door alignment. This is typically a body shop job.

See the first one I found: Car door alignment and adjustment tool demonstration from amazon

I understand your frustration, but everything seems cosmetic and can be fixed.

Can you check also if all the seats and windows work correctly?

It is difficult to find any real problem without driving it,
but I don't see too much reason to reject it if they are willing to fix everything.

It is interesting that you were able to see your car before you paid for it.

This car is in high demand. If you reject it, it might take sometime before getting another one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Za_c
Thanks. I am aware of (and correct a door position on my honda accord 2000, lol by playing with hinge and lock position), but I wonder if service call is gonna do that for me or I need to get a bodyshop willing to fix and pay for it? Had anyone fixed the doors by tesla after accepting the delivery, or those are just promises?

Reactions: Watts_Up
high demand? buyers are getting a car 4 days after placing an order, so evidence shows that the Y demand isn't as high as we all initially thought. When I placed my order in March I thought it would be a year before I saw my Y. My car was ready for delivery at the beginning of June.
I read more posts about Tesla reps calming flaws to be "within spec." Seems to be the key phrase now to tell customers to suck it up and accept the flaws.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
high demand? buyers are getting a car 4 days after placing an order,
so evidence shows that the Y demand isn't as high as we all initially thought.
When I placed my order in March I thought it would be a year before I saw my Y.
My car was ready for delivery at the beginning of June.
I read more posts about Tesla reps calming flaws to be "within spec."
Seems to be the key phrase now to tell customers to suck it up and accept the flaws.
With the current economy not yet starting, I imagine that people who are ending a lease might be looking for a replacement,
but if you own a car the resale value took a bit hit recently, so better waiting a little bit more in this case.

ALL car sales took a hit with Covid.
Tesla is scrambling to get as many cars out the door before 1/4 end, quality be damned.

My "demand" for my order is put on hold too thanks to Covid. I don't need to park 62k dollars in my garage for decoration, and the poor quality of the MY in its infancy has me turned off. I'm probably more demanding and particular about spending my hard earned cash and expecting high quality than some others....

All the alignment stuff can be fixed fairly easily. It's the scratches and the orange peel that's a real problem.
I'm supposed to pick up blue/black tomorrow. Definitely fretting, and I'm not even that picky of a customer.
What's your vin?

Okay, so after refusing the one yesterday, offered them to be willing to get another AWD LR, red or blue, for the same price, or any of those with induction wheels with a discount. My offer is valid today only.

Just got a call that they found another one similar blue/black AWD LR with gemini, new VIN is 16xxx. Will see how that goes..

high demand? buyers are getting a car 4 days after placing an order, so evidence shows that the Y demand isn't as high as we all initially thought. When I placed my order in March I thought it would be a year before I saw my Y. My car was ready for delivery at the beginning of June.
I read more posts about Tesla reps calming flaws to be "within spec." Seems to be the key phrase now to tell customers to suck it up and accept the flaws.

There are a lot more orders for the RWD Tesla Y than either version of the AWD.