Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Postponed delivery. [in japan]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I'm currently in Europe and I'm moving to Japan next summer.
Me and my wife are planning to purchase a Model 3 LR in Japan, ready to be delivered as soon as we arrive in Osaka (June-July).
The current ETD in Japan is 12-16 weeks, so it's a bit early to order. However, time passes and prices are going up.
I don't want to fall into FOMO, but in the last three months the price went up about ¥500,000/$4370 (pic attached).

So the idea is ordering the car now and postpone the delivery by about three-four months.
I wanted to understand if it's possible, so I called several Tesla dealers here in Europe and they all said it's not doable.
My wife, however, is currently in Japan and talked with the Tesla Shinsaibashi dealer. She explained the situation (mentioning the prices going up) and the Tesla guy said it wouldn't be a big deal to buy it right now (sign contract); they would keep the car (didn't mention where) and we would finally get it when we arrive.
My wife said he sounded a little "pushy".

She'll visit the store next week and I'm inclined to accept their offer if they guarantee I can accept/reject the delivery when I can physically check the car.
Also, I want to know where they are going to keep the car for three-four months.

What do you think?

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: hiroshiy
Sorry for the late reply. Hi all.

I'm currently in Europe and I'm moving to Japan next summer.
Me and my wife are planning to purchase a Model 3 LR in Japan, ready to be delivered as soon as we arrive in Osaka (June-July).
The current ETD in Japan is 12-16 weeks, so it's a bit early to order. However, time passes and prices are going up.
I don't want to fall into FOMO, but in the last three months the price went up about ¥500,000/$4370 (pic attached).

So the idea is ordering the car now and postpone the delivery by about three-four months.
I wanted to understand if it's possible, so I called several Tesla dealers here in Europe and they all said it's not doable.
My wife, however, is currently in Japan and talked with the Tesla Shinsaibashi dealer. She explained the situation (mentioning the prices going up) and the Tesla guy said it wouldn't be a big deal to buy it right now (sign contract); they would keep the car (didn't mention where) and we would finally get it when we arrive.
My wife said he sounded a little "pushy".

She'll visit the store next week and I'm inclined to accept their offer if they guarantee I can accept/reject the delivery when I can physically check the car.
Also, I want to know where they are going to keep the car for three-four months.

What do you think?

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply. That means you are buying the car when the car is ready and completing the transaction. The vehicle stays at Tesla, waiting for the delivery. In Japan, you need to pay to register the vehicle and get the license plate before you drive 1 meter. So after getting registered, the car is technically yours, and you owe all the taxes...

Sorry for the late reply. That means you are buying the car when the car is ready and completing the transaction. The vehicle stays at Tesla, waiting for the delivery. In Japan, you need to pay to register the vehicle and get the license plate before you drive 1 meter. So after getting registered, the car is technically yours, and you owe all the taxes...
Ok, so it's actually "normal" to keep the car at Tesla for several months.
Here in Europe it's not possible.