TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Postponed delivery

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Ste73, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Ste73

Ste73 Member

Hi, i've ordered my 85D and confirmed on 06/30 (VIN #95778).
    Production completed last week (07/21).
    On 07/22 estimated delivery date (previously "September") disappeared.
    On 07/25 it's back on mytesla and now it's "Late September".
    I'm just a little bit disappointed about it, 2 months to bring a car from California to Italy?
    :(

2. bylund

bylund Member

It's quite a bit of travel. First across the US (by train?), then by ship across the Atlantic, then reasembly in Tilburg, the Netherlands, and the sent by lorry to Italy. To me 2 months doesn't seem very much for that process.
    The reassembly part saves 10 % in import duties to the EU, as it can be imported as car parts rather than as a car.

3. Ste73

Ste73 Member

Yes, i know, but what makes me really disappointed is that the day i've placed the order on screen i had August, the day after i had September, and now it's "Late september".
    Us in train is 3/4 days? Let's say 10, ok? Ship is 7 days, i mean, original 1 month, 1,5 months was ok, but now we are going everyday longer :(

4. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

Ste73 - I am not sure about Italy, but I ordered mine on 6/30 as well, East Coast of US, originally was slated for "Late August" and last update was "September". However, my DS advised me this morning that the automated system is NOT used to the train system yet and that the message was wrong and that my car was on a train and should arrive and be delivered somewhere around August 11-14. I am sure your car is on the same train, headed for NJ which means it will either be loaded on ship in Newark or Baltimore so I suspect your delivery will be a little better than the automated system is telling you.

The automated system was telling me 6 weeks to move the car from CA to MD...I could walk it in that time...

Check with your DS - they should have a better sense. My guy new when the train cars would switch, etc. and he had all of the details.

Remember, the smile on your face will make all of the angst from delivery go away!

5. Ste73

Ste73 Member

Thanks a lot!!! I'll write now to my DS. I'm so excited about this car that i cannot wait :))))

6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

If the train is on a direct path across the US then it could go across the country in 3 to 4 days. However, that's not how rail lines work. They don't typically fill up an entire train and send the entire train from California to New York. Trains are made up with cargo from various companies and the cars can be destined for hundreds, if not thousands of different destinations. Train cars are grouped together based on destination and those groups of car move together when enough cars need to go to the same destination. There are several threads that discuss the delays when shipping is done by train. Here's one of the most recent.

A couple years ago, a friend bought a Ford and had to wait a month for it to make it from Michigan to Colorado. He was able to track the progress and saw how it would travel hundreds of miles some days and then sit in rail freight yards for several days while waiting for another batch of rail cars headed west. The rail lines don't follow the highways either and he actually saw the car head back east at least once (on a different rail line) before it continued its trip west to Colorado. Once it made it to Colorado, it still took another week to go the final 70 miles.

Shipping by train is one of the cheapest, most efficient ways of moving large amounts of cargo. It is not meant to be the fastest.

Sorry to hear that your delivery has been delayed but I'm sure you'll enjoy it once your car arrives!

7. danni

danni Member

8. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I wonder if they are starting to factor in Model X production and deliveries? Maybe its going to take longer to get either an S or an X from now on.

9. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Possibly Tesla reallocating North American and foreign Q3 deliveries. This is a pretty big quarter for Tesla with the X launch.

10. Ste73

Ste73 Member

For My S X is not a theme, she's ready somewhere in California :)

11. vittorio

vittorio Member

I have ordered my P85D and conformed 29 april , estimate delivery August , and today status are change to : "your model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery" in Milan service center. 4 months from order.

12. Ste73

Ste73 Member

:O

Enjoy! ;)

13. vittorio

vittorio Member

certainly when delivered !

14. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

Just be happy that you're getting your S? :p

15. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

It would honestly kill me to wait that long. My confirmed to delivery time was 16 days and it seemed like an eternity!!!

16. alexrov

alexrov Member

I ordered on June 6th. It was in production for 31 days. "Preparing for Pickup or Delivery" for 8 days now. Still waiting for a chance to set a delivery appointment. The original pickup date was supposed to be July 1st. They're almost a month late, and I'm picking up directly from the factory.

I wouldn't be surprised if your car takes much longer than they told you it would.

17. Ste73

Ste73 Member

Today my DS told me that she's on ship to Europe! :) But at this moment he's confirmed last september. Let's see when she'll be out of the boat :)
    p.s.: mytesla is still in transit

18. Pepe

Pepe Member

Ciao Vittorio
    I'm in the same situation like yours for a Model S 70D:

Order placed: 04/29
    Confirmed: 05/12
    Estimated Delivery: August (posponed 3 times ...)

Now I’m waiting the delivery in Milan next week, but the current status is still "End Production (your car is outside the factory)"

PS: I'm living in Bologna.

19. Ste73

Ste73 Member

Seems that mytesla is not updated as i read several times. It's a shame, cause it was a good idea to keep customers in touch real time :p

20. Pepe

Pepe Member

Ste73, I agree with you.
    who is your DS contact in Milan? Edo?
    it's so difficult to contact him. He's always busy!