Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Postponed delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, i've ordered my 85D and confirmed on 06/30 (VIN #95778).
Production completed last week (07/21).
On 07/22 estimated delivery date (previously "September") disappeared.
On 07/25 it's back on mytesla and now it's "Late September".
I'm just a little bit disappointed about it, 2 months to bring a car from California to Italy?
:(

It's quite a bit of travel. First across the US (by train?), then by ship across the Atlantic, then reasembly in Tilburg, the Netherlands, and the sent by lorry to Italy. To me 2 months doesn't seem very much for that process.
The reassembly part saves 10 % in import duties to the EU, as it can be imported as car parts rather than as a car.

Yes, i know, but what makes me really disappointed is that the day i've placed the order on screen i had August, the day after i had September, and now it's "Late september".
Us in train is 3/4 days? Let's say 10, ok? Ship is 7 days, i mean, original 1 month, 1,5 months was ok, but now we are going everyday longer :(

Hi, i've ordered my 85D and confirmed on 06/30 (VIN #95778).
Production completed last week (07/21).
On 07/22 estimated delivery date (previously "September") disappeared.
On 07/25 it's back on mytesla and now it's "Late September".
I'm just a little bit disappointed about it, 2 months to bring a car from California to Italy?
:(

Ste73 - I am not sure about Italy, but I ordered mine on 6/30 as well, East Coast of US, originally was slated for "Late August" and last update was "September". However, my DS advised me this morning that the automated system is NOT used to the train system yet and that the message was wrong and that my car was on a train and should arrive and be delivered somewhere around August 11-14. I am sure your car is on the same train, headed for NJ which means it will either be loaded on ship in Newark or Baltimore so I suspect your delivery will be a little better than the automated system is telling you.

The automated system was telling me 6 weeks to move the car from CA to MD...I could walk it in that time...

Check with your DS - they should have a better sense. My guy new when the train cars would switch, etc. and he had all of the details.

Remember, the smile on your face will make all of the angst from delivery go away!

Yes, i know, but what makes me really disappointed is that the day i've placed the order on screen i had August, the day after i had September, and now it's "Late september".
Us in train is 3/4 days? Let's say 10, ok? Ship is 7 days, i mean, original 1 month, 1,5 months was ok, but now we are going everyday longer :(

If the train is on a direct path across the US then it could go across the country in 3 to 4 days. However, that's not how rail lines work. They don't typically fill up an entire train and send the entire train from California to New York. Trains are made up with cargo from various companies and the cars can be destined for hundreds, if not thousands of different destinations. Train cars are grouped together based on destination and those groups of car move together when enough cars need to go to the same destination. There are several threads that discuss the delays when shipping is done by train. Here's one of the most recent.

A couple years ago, a friend bought a Ford and had to wait a month for it to make it from Michigan to Colorado. He was able to track the progress and saw how it would travel hundreds of miles some days and then sit in rail freight yards for several days while waiting for another batch of rail cars headed west. The rail lines don't follow the highways either and he actually saw the car head back east at least once (on a different rail line) before it continued its trip west to Colorado. Once it made it to Colorado, it still took another week to go the final 70 miles.

Shipping by train is one of the cheapest, most efficient ways of moving large amounts of cargo. It is not meant to be the fastest.

Sorry to hear that your delivery has been delayed but I'm sure you'll enjoy it once your car arrives!

I ordered on June 6th. It was in production for 31 days. "Preparing for Pickup or Delivery" for 8 days now. Still waiting for a chance to set a delivery appointment. The original pickup date was supposed to be July 1st. They're almost a month late, and I'm picking up directly from the factory.

I wouldn't be surprised if your car takes much longer than they told you it would.

Ciao Vittorio
I'm in the same situation like yours for a Model S 70D:

Order placed: 04/29
Confirmed: 05/12
Estimated Delivery: August (posponed 3 times ...)

Now I’m waiting the delivery in Milan next week, but the current status is still "End Production (your car is outside the factory)"

PS: I'm living in Bologna.