Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Posts about locals charging at Superchargers: complain here! :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was so happy to learn there would be a Supercharger so close to my house at the Target center. In the Oct 30, 2019 aerial picture from Axtrader, I can see my roof. I then thought, "wait, I have a charger in my garage!" This will be great for distance travelers and for residents without garages. I also see this as great marketing for Tesla. A line of charging Teslas will sell more Teslas. And the more electric cars replacing ICE cars, the better. If it's a V3, I might have use of them since my home could only accommodate installing a Nema 10-30, so usually 19 mph charging. I come home often from LA at 2 AM and if I need to leave early enough the next day, the faster charging would be much appreciated. :)
I seldom Supercharge either Tesla since I have at home charging and love the convenience, but admit that when I have a long urban drive here in the Phoenix area and a Supercharger is near I often choose my 2016 S with free lifetime Supercharging over my pay as you go 2018 3. But if Supercharging is ever built within a couple miles of my house, I admit that I would frequently grab the free electricity for my S just because it is free and would probably also Supercharge my 3 sometimes for the speed benefit you described.

Tesla probably needs to stop you and me from our “evil” urges by keeping Supercharging rates significantly above the prevailing costs of nearby home electricity rates. I realize apartment dwellers might hate that last statement but unless they want to have no charging option they had better be willing to pay more to keep you and me at home.

Whenever this issue arises, the moralists will express their outrage that anyone with a garage could be so selfish. Maybe so, but shaming us isn’t the solution. (While I don’t Supercharge often it does seem to me I see a disproportionate number of older Model S and X owners, probably indicative of the shortsighted free Supercharging offers of the recent past.)

Last edited:
Moderator note: This post, plus the five posts following, came from the Goleta, CA Supercharger thread.

I've been by here a few times recently. Haven't seen the two handicap slots in use. Almost all the cars there are S's or X'x. So it's probably mostly just locals using their free supercharging instead of doing it at home. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the out of towners on holidays. There are lots of other places in the US that I'd rather see superchargers than ones in Santa Barbara servicing all the S and X owners. And Tesla has recently increased their charges to the rest of us to 31 cents/kWh. I'm glad to see that Tesla finally dumped the free supercharging for new S and X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been by here a few times recently. Haven't seen the two handicap slots in use. Almost all the cars there are S's or X'x. So it's probably mostly just locals using their free supercharging instead of doing it at home. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the out of towners on holidays. There are lots of other places in the US that I'd rather see superchargers than ones in Santa Barbara servicing all the S and X owners. And Tesla has recently increased their charges to the rest of us to 31 cents/kWh. I'm glad to see that Tesla finally dumped the free supercharging for new S and X.

Sooooo. I'm guessing that you have a problem with S and X owners getting and using free Supercharging:)

Number of stalls available as shown on the app and in the car is still random, at least in my experience. My car said seven available tonight, there was one car there. When I left I was the last one, tried again, it said three available.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
Sooooo. I'm guessing that you have a problem with S and X owners getting and using free Supercharging:)

Only to the extent that it reduces supercharger capacity for those who don't have charging at home or are transiting through the area. I imagine there are few S and X owners that don't have charging at their residences. But in my experience superchargers in more populous Ca areas tend to be dominated by S and X which I take to be mostly locals with free charging. I've had it be a real inconvenience in LA. when visiting there.

Yeah, my wife has had the 'free' supercharging with both of her 'S's. Don't believe it was free, especially the first one - built into the price. However, the second one.... no wait a minute - that, too was built into the first one's price. But lifetime privilege for her. Let's see - see did 180,000 miles with the 1st and is at about 22,000 with the second. I would guess she has Supercharged for about 1 percent of those miles. So, as yet, not gotten much of those 'free' miles she paid extra for. (1% of 200,00 being 2,000 miles) At home we fill hers for less than $10 now.
And we did abuse the 'local' one once after waking up one morning having lost our electric overnight - I ran over to the local Supercharger (just after they were installed a few years ago) and got her enough for her days commute and she met me there with my car. Only car there to use the Superchargers.
BTW... how do you tell the 'free' folks from the paying customers?

Reactions: ucmndd
Only to the extent that it reduces supercharger capacity for those who don't have charging at home or are transiting through the area. I imagine there are few S and X owners that don't have charging at their residences. But in my experience superchargers in more populous Ca areas tend to be dominated by S and X which I take to be mostly locals with free charging. I've had it be a real inconvenience in LA. when visiting there.

Why would you take them to be mostly local cars? Do S and X's not travel, or tend to travel less than 3's? My S has been on LA chargers in populous LA areas, I was on the road, navigation said I needed to stop there.

I would suspect that most locals don't want anything to do with lines, i don't, and go at appropriate times. In the case of the Goleta charger, which was sorely needed despite what you say, it fills 80 mile gap in what is likely the most Tesla centric area in the world, in the evenings during the week and late at night no one is there. I find that incredible, but I like it, and I pick what i think will be off hours to go charge. Or, if I'm a little low and there is no one there, I'm there for dinner or whatever, and I have time, I'll hook up.