TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Potential Autopilot "Error"

Discussion in 'Video' started by notAmeenPerson, Oct 15, 2015.

1. notAmeenPerson

#1 notAmeenPerson, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    This is a video I found on Reddit. It seems the driver is fiddling with his camera. However at first glance it does appear that the car was headed towards the other side of the road, at least temporarily.

What do you guys (or gals) see in the video?
    Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! - YouTube
    Reddit post. Notice title: Video: Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! Testing Tesla's newly released software for my Model S, the AutoPilot feature, almost resulted in my violent demise. : teslamotors

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong. But the first time it breached the double-yellow I didn't hear an alert.

2. green1

green1 Active Member

I see someone stupid enough not to take control of his vehicle when the autopilot told him to because it couldn't figure out what was going on, someone who ignored a minimum of 5 different prompts to keep his hands on the wheel...

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I'ts not perfect. That's why the instructions explicitly state to keep hands on the wheel at all times.

Having said that I put 40 freeway miles on it today, most of it hands free and pretty flawless.

4. McMuggets

McMuggets Member

This is like an airline pilot blaming the airplane if he fails to take over when the airplane autopilot system warns him numerous times.

5. Souris

Souris Member

Well. I don't see it that way at all. The multiple beeps came late as it veered into the incoming traffic. It did once cross over the yellow line a few seconds before the potential accident and there was no audible warning or request of the driver to hold the steering wheel. Hence this is a beta version. Be careful everyone and stay attentive to the road. I enjoyed my autopilot yesterday but it's only a beta. It's not perfect... Yet (likely won't be for years to come).

6. green1

green1 Active Member

I didn't see his hands on the wheel, he clicked the box saying he would do so, he also ignored the warning when AP started that told him to keep his hands on the wheel, he didn't take over when the car told him to, he ignored the release notes. I'm sorry, the car has ZERO fault here, it is 100% driver error.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Potential Autopilot "Error"

The video title "Tesla Autopilot tried to kill me" is inaccurate, ill-considered, and inflammatory. It's software. Nothing is trying to "kill" him. That is absurd.
    The driver was using Autopilot in a use case -- narrow, curvy, two lane road with no barrier between lanes -- that Tesla says it is not designed for.

Reading the Reddit comments it appears that the driver is getting roasted, and deservedly so.

8. muleferg

muleferg Member

(Singing) Dumb D Dumb Dumb , Dumb Dumb.
    Driver

9. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

I'm concerned someone is going to screw this up for all of us like the shoe bomber has us all taking off our shoes at the airport.

10. tezzla

tezzla Member

#10 tezzla, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Here are a couple of videos from a fwy that's under construction, autopilot doesn't like faded/sandblasted lines or k-rails right on the line. For both videos, I had my hands on the wheel and was ready to take over. I should also note that the speed limit is 45 mph (although I was going 70).

11. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

Driver's like 'RockTreeStar' ..... in the OP's post scare the **** out of me, notice how instead of dropping the camera in his right hand, he grabs the steering wheel solely with his left hand, at the top of the wheel, like he's some baller player. Kid needs to get some tickets and a smack in the face to wake up. It's driver's like him that DONT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS OR UPDATES (that part when i read it in the comments below the video made me rage) that are the ones responsible for killing entire innocent families. Not sure WHO he is, but he's a douchebag.

Scroll down and read his posts, won't take long, inspires you about humanity.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That second video was foolish. Why put your car and/or lives at risk for a silly stunt like that. You can find edge cases galore if you go looking for them. The responsible thing to do is to use Autopilot in those conditions that are suitable to it - and pay attention at all times.

If someone comes up behind you going 50 kph faster and you activate the lane change feature and cut them off, there's no way the car will see it coming. You need to look first. These are cars with driver aids, not driverless cars.

13. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

Seems like most people literally don't hear that last part, in one ear, out the other.