Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential benefits of being a signature holder of Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
Strongly considering getting a Sig # and keeping my 1618 Production # as a fallback.

What are the potential benefits of being a signature holder of Model X?

1. Getting the car first obviously and limited production so resale value and bragging rights
2. A signature only color most likely
3. A signature only interior finish most likely
4. What haven't I thought of that is probable??? (not possible, but probable)

I'm trying to convince myself to pull some money out of TSLA to do this....

DD, you've no doubt seen the Signature Angst thread?! Enough said but, a couple of purely practical points:

Money left alone in TSLA is going to be worth a lot more in 2-3 years and may even pay for your X outright. Otherwise, it's an interest-free donation to Tesla.

In some ways, the Model S Sigs were "weaker" builds than the cars that followed them. Given the Falcon wings and such, early hiccups may have to be expected with Sig X despite Tesla becoming a relatively more mature auto manufacturing company in 2014/2015 than in 2012.

Not to mention, all the options that may become available later in the production cycle (much as we are seeing with the S) although Tesla may be able to do better with the X right off the bat given the experience with the S.

I'd argue that, from a collector's point of view, say, 30 years from now, the Sig X would be a weaker proposition than a Sig S (which was truly the first of its kind as a premium, sporty electric family vehicle).

Hats off to the really early Sig res holders who entrusted Tesla with $40k in mid-2009 when Tesla could definitely use the cash. That's definitely not a factor anymore.

I'm one for eliminating the Signature concept altogether, from Gen 3 onwards. It's almost as silly as an Eddie Bauer-special limited edition SUV.

I'm waiting patiently for Gen 3 to replace our second (ICE) car but, I'll most definitely wait for a spot in the ~5,000 range in the General Production queue.

As a Sig X reservation holder, I'm kinda wishing the Sig program was eliminated. When the Signature program for the X was opened, Tesla was a much different company with much different cash on hand/capital needs. Now that Tesla isn't cash starved I think the Signature program has run it's course. Tesla has my vote to discontinue the program and fold us into one list.

As a Sig X reservation holder, I'm kinda wishing the Sig program was eliminated. When the Signature program for the X was opened, Tesla was a much different company with much different cash on hand/capital needs. Now that Tesla isn't cash starved I think the Signature program has run it's course. Tesla has my vote to discontinue the program and fold us into one list.

Agreed ( and with GG)

The Sig red is the main reason. Anything else such as earlier delivery will be minimal since you already have a low production number. If you love Sig red and the price increase is reasonable then it might be worth it.

Last edited:
paying $5000 extra for misaligned panels and a fugly nose cone??

I paid a lot more *extra* than $5000 for a crude sportscar that never will be 100% perfectly aligned, that is impossible for 'first timers' to get in and out of gracefully, too noisy to use my phone under normal road conditions, hard to maintain a constant temperature, always drafty, downright impossible to find parts for ... and I have never regretted it for a moment.

The decision about a Roadster or a Sig or any car is purely emotional at best. I have a Sig X reserved. I'll keep it.

The Sig red is the main reason. Anything else such as earlier delivery will be minimal since you already have a low production number. If you love Sig red and the price increase is reasonable then it might be worth it.
Have they announced the Sig color for the X? The picture suggests the same red as the S...
Buy or Reserve a Tesla | Tesla Motors
... but the text is generic:
Exclusive options and colors

Honestly, I feel that Signature is just like "premier access" with United (Airlines) or those silver and gold perks with any airline... (Disregard seat class for now)

1) You get to board the plane first, even though the regular guys board like, only 5 minutes after you...
2) You might end up last to get off the plane regardless...
3) You don't get there any faster, everyone on the same plane takes the same amount of time...
4) You might get a fancy lounge to wait in with fancy food while the rest wait on benches with nothing to do...
5) However, you will then have to sit beside these non-privileged customers and the stewards/esses don't treat you any different during the flight anyway...
6) Your luggage might come off the aircraft first, tagged with "priority"... but the last priority bag will always appear a few seconds before the first non-priority bag anyway...
7) Any advantage in 6 is erased in a foreign country since "citizens" will always clear immigration faster than "aliens/foreign passports" unless you have dual citizenship (twin chargers? =X)

In short, what you get with signature is MARGINALLY better than non-signature..
But basically what you're buying into is:
1) Front of the line! Well, not really.. but at least you'll be close to the front despite non-signature owners being RIGHT BEHIND or just beside you chronologically...
2) Protection against being "bumped" into the next flight cause we're overbooked! (Or in Tesla's case, protection against anything that MIGHT halt the production/delivery line resulting in anyone who's after the last car coming off the line having to wait...)
3) A few invites, some food, a signature badge on your car just like how they would just print "Premier / Silver / Gold" on your boarding pass..
4) A special paint colour for your car, like a special membership card coloured in your privilege level.

Or if you're late to the game (loads of normal production orders already but no cars delivered yet), ordering a signature before it's sold out allows you to "cut" some of the queue... but not all.. since you'll be sandwiched between the earlier signatures and the first few non-sigs...

Is the price tagged to these benefits worth it to you? Everyone should decide for themselves... and I think if it ain't worth it to you, then you shouldn't take up a signature slot only to end up feeling angst... I'm sure there are many others who will be willing to take your spot.. like me.. for the same reasons people still buy into these programs on airlines despite how mundane it is..

As a Sig X reservation holder, I'm kinda wishing the Sig program was eliminated.

Why not just ask for a downgrade?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I feel that Signature is just like "premier access" with United (Airlines) or those silver and gold perks with any airline... (Disregard seat class for now)

<snip>

Is the price tagged to these benefits worth it to you? Everyone should decide for themselves...

But that slightly better treatment by the airlines is still nice to experience and I'm still happy to keep my Sig reservation.

I've had very good experiences with tesla service, and I'd honestly be a bit sad to hear it was only because I was a sig customer. I feel like every tesla owner should be treated this way. It should be a defining attribute of the company/brand.

Have they announced the Sig color for the X? The picture suggests the same red as the S...
Buy or Reserve a Tesla | Tesla Motors
... but the text is generic:

I was just assuming they will offer Sig red as well but that could easily be wrong. It la a popular color and helped them sell the Sig spots so would expect it but you are righty, it could be anything. That custom blue S looks amazing so that would be a nice option.

I've had very good experiences with tesla service, and I'd honestly be a bit sad to hear it was only because I was a sig customer. I feel like every tesla owner should be treated this way. It should be a defining attribute of the company/brand.
Agreed. Now if it meant I got the better flavored lollipops on my way out, that'd be fine though.