Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential BOLT customers being suctioned up by Tesla !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I greatly dislike about the car industry right now is the only viable purely electric car is the Tesla.

The Bolt as I understand it is still a compliance car with limited production runs each year. Is this not true?

In order for me to classify that a particular car is an honest player in the market it can't be expensive. and it can't be production run limited at numbers lower than around 250K a year.

I don't follow. None of Tesla's current models are inexpensive. And none are produced at >250k/year. Tesla doesn't even make 80k total vehicles/year.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't follow. None of Tesla's current models are inexpensive. And none are produced at >250k/year. Tesla doesn't even make 80k total vehicles/year.

Not yet, and that's part of why a lot of people are interested in BEV's but very few buy them.

When I say Tesla is the only viable one right now they're the only ones taking orders for anything that the majority can afford. Sure they won't deliver them for awhile but at least I can order it if I choose to. Plus the pre-orders act to keep people from buying another car that isn't an electric.

Now I don't know what production/sales numbers they'll hit, but I sure hope they hit 250K a year worldwide.

That 250K might be a little excessively high I admit. I just threw that number out there. The Prius hybrid generally sells around 140K units in the US.

Last edited:
That remains to be seen.

I sure know that you can't get a Leaf serviced in West Virginia ... I'm not going to assume GM can magically do better overnight.

This is elementary economics - no magic required. The the reason that GM EV-certified service techs aren't ubiquitous across the country is that there is not currently a return-on-invest to be realized by said investment -- but I think we can agree that if/when the market indicates, then the task of training/certifying staff in already existing service centers is more easily accomplished (read "cheaper") than building/staffing new service centers from scratch.

Reactions: Red Sage
A Chevy Volt is a great mix of EV practicality where the average driver can go to work, and back purely on EV. Then for the rare time they need to go somewhere further they use gas. That removes the need to have a massive batter.

But, they didn't really sell nearly as many as one would expect. So that begs the question why?

It wasn't ugly
It was a GM which deters some people
It wasn't particularly fast or exciting. Did that dissuade people? It was why I never looked at it when looking at plug in hybrids and BEV's. My goal was to get to work, and back on electricity alone (I live in WA State which has the cleanest electricity). Plus it's fun and quiet so it's was a must have.

My concern is the Bolt will have the same fate. Enough sales to continue on, but not enough to really put a dent in ICE sales.

As both a Volt and Tesla owner I can vouch that the Volt is a very viable car. While the Volt has not broken sales records it has been a decent selling car, out selling the Model S so far by 16%. What Tesla has done is just short of AWESOME and they have definitely moved the needle on EV's. Without Tesla it is very doubtful there would be a Volt or a Bolt. But to say GM is not trying is just not true. It is also true they could try harder as well.

Model S Volt
2017 900 1,611
2016 29,421 24,739
2015 25,202 15,393
2014 16,689 18,808
2013 17,650 23,094
2012 2,650 23,461

totals 92,512 107,106 116%

Source INSIDEEVS.com

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and S4WRXTTCS
Not yet, and that's part of why a lot of people are interested in BEV's but very few buy them.

When I say Tesla is the only viable one right now they're the only ones taking orders for anything that the majority can afford. Sure they won't deliver them for awhile but at least I can order it if I choose to. Plus the pre-orders act to keep people from buying another car that isn't an electric.

Now I don't know what production/sales numbers they'll hit, but I sure hope they hit 250K a year worldwide.

That 250K might be a little excessively high I admit. I just threw that number out there. The Prius hybrid generally sells around 140K units in the US.

No, you cannot order a Model 3 "right now". No, the $1,000 doesn't prohibit you from buying a different car, be it ice or electric.

Reactions: dhrivnak

EVs are not yet big sellers because the average 'car as an appliance' buyer sees no reason to buy one. Gas is cheap, electricity is strange, EV's are pricey.

Many new technologies need a killer app to get them started. A unique purpose to buy this new device that you cannot get any other way.

Elon had the right idea with AutoPilot, which is indeed a Killer App. The best driver's convenience aid, you need to buy an EV (specifically a Tesla) to get it. However, the ICE cars will have similar systems in the next year it seems.

What could be another Killer App be for an EV? How about transforming the HOV lanes into EV lanes. You want to get to work on time? Get an EV dammit! 4 people want to get to work on time? Carpool in an EV.

This will probably do more for EV adoption in California and other overcrowded areas that state-based rebates. Today, the HOV lanes are often crowded anyhow. And it's too hard to tell who is cheating. Right now, it's pretty easy to spot an EV, and since there are so few, you'll fly down stopped freeways.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon and GSP
EVs are not yet big sellers because the average 'car as an appliance' buyer sees no reason to buy one. Gas is cheap, electricity is strange, EV's are pricey.

Many new technologies need a killer app to get them started. A unique purpose to buy this new device that you cannot get any other way.

Elon had the right idea with AutoPilot, which is indeed a Killer App. The best driver's convenience aid, you need to buy an EV (specifically a Tesla) to get it. However, the ICE cars will have similar systems in the next year it seems.

What could be another Killer App be for an EV? How about transforming the HOV lanes into EV lanes. You want to get to work on time? Get an EV dammit! 4 people want to get to work on time? Carpool in an EV.

This will probably do more for EV adoption in California and other overcrowded areas that state-based rebates. Today, the HOV lanes are often crowded anyhow. And it's too hard to tell who is cheating. Right now, it's pretty easy to spot an EV, and since there are so few, you'll fly down stopped freeways.

With the Tesla I felt like they hit the trifecta when it came things that pulled me in.

The Drive train - Once you try an EV drive train it's hard to go back. That's why the success of the Volt is so critical to the success of EV's. The Volt acts like a gateway drug for people too nervous about fully switching over.

The Superchargers - I don't know of any other charging network where there are up to 10 stalls (even more in some locations being built) where you can charge. Where the charging is as simple as plugging in, and walking away.

Autopilot - With the Bolt I think GM really screwed up in not having adaptive cruise control. For a lot of us adaptive cruise control is 90% of what AP1 offers. If I had known it didn't have adaptive cruise control I wouldn't have questioned whether GM/Dealers would treat it like compliance car. Rumor has it that it will have adaptive cruise control in 2018.

Sure there are other niceties like being able to turn on the heat before you get into the car, and camper mode. Or things really only important for extremely lazy people like me. Like not having to go to the gas station before work. But, it's really the trifecta of those three major reasons that separates the Tesla from an ICE car.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a killer App (like autonomous driving since it fits so nicely with an EV), or if it's going to be a critical mass kind of thing. Humans tend to be followers where we do what other people do.

Reactions: GSP and dhrivnak
Even with "pre-" your statement is incorrect.
Not really. His criteria for a viable BEV is one that has a large planned annual volume of 250k (later adjusted to something more reasonable like Prius-matching 140k). The Model 3 would fit that criteria if talking about preorders.

The initial projected Tesla volume by 2020 is 500k annually total (including S/X). A rough product split would easily have the Model 3 taking half of that (although you may quibble about Model Y). That volume projection has since been increased to 1 million. But besides from just projections, the paid preorders are roughly 400k, so it's different from companies that just write some projections on paper with no indicator of demand.

Of course you can argue if that is reasonable criteria in the first place.

Last edited:
The Bolt is to be on sale in all 50 states by September. And while it is very early in the year GM sold more Bolts in January than Tesla sold of the S or X. That does not strike me as a limited compliance car.
Uhm... No. The BOLT didn't even outsell the VOLT in January 2017.

January 2017 U.S. Sales
1162 ___ Chevrolet BOLT
1611 ___ Chevrolet VOLT
1200 ___ Tesla Model S
1000 ___ Tesla Model X

January's sales of BOLT are an improvement over December 2016, when they sold only 579 units. That same month, there were 3,691 VOLT, 3,300 Model X, and 5,300 Model S sold in the U.S. Yes. It is 'very early in the year' and most of the time fewer vehicles are sold in January than in the preceding December no matter the brand. Any questions?

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon and GSP
You cannot pre-order the 3. All there is to it.
Well tell that to the ~400k that put in $1000 each to pre-order one (including me). Note that pre-orders do not require full payment and can be refundable/cancellable. Some pre-ordering systems don't even need any payment at all upfront, although there usually is some sort of monetary collateral (for example they have your credit card number that they can charge when they ship the item). It's not really that common for cars, but most common for video games.

In-store Pre-order FAQs - Best Buy Support
Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: How does the pre-order work?

I believe the Bolt had a couple thousand pre-orders in Norway too (although unpaid). The pricing and options were only recently released, but the pre-orders opened well before then (similar to how Tesla does things).
Tesla cancels contract with Model 3 supplier = delayed launch?

Maybe you are making a distinction about confirmed orders with full payment.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and Red Sage
As both a Volt and Tesla owner I can vouch that the Volt is a very viable car. While the Volt has not broken sales records it has been a decent selling car, out selling the Model S so far by 16%. What Tesla has done is just short of AWESOME and they have definitely moved the needle on EV's. Without Tesla it is very doubtful there would be a Volt or a Bolt. But to say GM is not trying is just not true. It is also true they could try harder as well.

Model S Volt
2017 900 1,611
2016 29,421 24,739
2015 25,202 15,393
2014 16,689 18,808
2013 17,650 23,094
2012 2,650 23,461

totals 92,512 107,106 116%

Source INSIDEEVS.com
Interesting. I typically use the numbers from GoodCarBadCar, and throw out the totals from 2012, so that I can compare only full calendar year totals. The results are a bit different that way.
________ Model S ___ VOLT
2013 ___ 18,195 ____ 23,094
2014 ___ 16,550 ____ 18,805
2015 ___ 26,400 ____ 15,393
2016 ___ 29,156 ____ 24,739
TOTALS _ 90,301 ____ 82,031

There. That looks better. :D

Autopilot - With the Bolt I think GM really screwed up in not having adaptive cruise control. For a lot of us adaptive cruise control is 90% of what AP1 offers. If I had known it didn't have adaptive cruise control I wouldn't have questioned whether GM/Dealers would treat it like compliance car. Rumor has it that it will have adaptive cruise control in 2018.

The situation as I understand it:

ACC first appeared on the GM EV lineup with the ELR Cadillac, which was discontinued after 2016.
The 2016 Volt did not have ACC at first, but it was a very, very short run. The 2017 Volt did include it.
GM had been working on semi-autonomy for Cadillac since 2014, and it was targeted for released in late 2015.
However, the nature of the system, which actually detects if the driver is alert and watching the road, was too autonomous for the NHTSA. So it was postponed and resubmitted.

SOOOO... The best guess based on history, is that the same postponement that hampered the Cadillac system, hampered the Bolt EV system. We should know in a few months.

While the Bolt could have easily had the existing the 2017 Volt ACC system, it does have all the hardware and then some, I am betting it will ship with the second generation of ACC with semi-autonomy.

1) Well tell that to the ~400k that put in $1000 each to pre-order one (including me). Note that pre-orders do not require full payment and can be refundable/cancellable. Some pre-ordering systems don't even need any payment at all upfront, although there usually is some sort of monetary collateral (for example they have your credit card number that they can charge when they ship the item). It's not really that common for cars, but most common for video games.

In-store Pre-order FAQs - Best Buy Support
Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: How does the pre-order work?

I believe the Bolt had a couple thousand pre-orders in Norway too (although unpaid). The pricing and options were only recently released, but the pre-orders opened well before then (similar to how Tesla does things).
Tesla cancels contract with Model 3 supplier = delayed launch?

2) Maybe you are making a distinction about confirmed orders with full payment.

1) You haven't ordered your 3 yet. Nor have I. Nobody has.

2) All you've done is put down a small payment to reserve an unspecified place in line that should eventually allow you to order your 3 in the future. Shirley you don't think 64,000 people ordered the FF 91 already.