Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential cooled seats in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Not sure if something is already being built in and can be activated later, or if the vegan leather would have to be perforated for this to work…

Would be a nice feature for many but as mentioned, the seats need to be perforated for this to happen as all concepts of ventilated/cooled seats involve either blowing cool or ambient air through the seat perforations. The pictogram shown in the link is what shows up on my Model S which does have perforated/ventilated seats.

At some point unless the price keeps on escalating, the 3/Y cannot have all the features of the S/X. People want air suspension and other expensive stuff added to the "budget" line of Tesla.

That means you’ll never get one.
Oh I got mine, along with the data in center console USB, lumbar support for passenger seat, radar,... Yes as an early adopter I missed out on the refreshed center console, heated steering wheel, and a few other things but if you let FOMO take over, then you will never own a Tesla IMO. I'm enjoying my MYP, and those who keep on playing the waiting game, well...

Would it be simpler to offer fabric seat covers instead of perforated leatherette seat covers?

Honestly, I don't like leatherette seats, because they felt cold in winter, and hot in summer especially during a long trip.
I put some neoprene seat covers and I really like the added soft padding.

Would it be simpler to offer fabric seat covers instead of perforated leatherette seat covers?

Honestly, I don't like leatherette seats, because they felt cold in winter, and hot in summer especially during a long trip.
I put some neoprene seat covers and I really like the added soft padding.
You need to set those seat heaters to Automatic, never need to fiddle with the controls no more and the seats never feel too cold or warm. Gotta love this new feature.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Here we go again, cue up another round of putting on hold, delaying my MY order until the latest speculative new feature or refresh is on my MY so I have the latest and greatest when I buy... 🥱
As much as I want my MY now (estimated delivery Mar 17-Apr 3), I would consider delaying delivery to get this feature given our summertime temps.

You can get this now...

Yes, there are aftermarket options, but coming stock, and not requiring extra expense, is obviously preferable.

Not sure if something is already being built in and can be activated later, or if the vegan leather would have to be perforated for this to work…

It's not built in and there will be no path to retrofit. You need perforated seats and the hardware to match.

Interesting....but there is a huge difference between ventilated and air conditioned seats. My BMWs had ventilated seats, and while better than nothing, it pales in comparison to my F250 with air conditioned seats (pulls my 30' camper). The F250 seats pull directly from the A/C ducts and actually cools me down, no matter now hot it is outside or in the cabin. The BMW seats on hot days just blew around hot air, and were nowhere near as effective, even as the cabin cooled down. I simply think perforated seats covers would do better than the current MY seat covers since the synthetic leather doesn't breathe in any way, but unless this aftermarket system actually pulls directly from the A/C vents, I'd be concerned about the effectiveness for the price.

I actually had no issue with the seats in my MY. I was a little concerned - my wife's MINI Cooper has vinyl seats and - let's be honest - 'vegan leather' is just another way to say 'pleather'. But I was surprised to find them perfectly fine in the humid NJ summer. Of course, cooling the cabin remotely certainly helps....

Here we go again, cue up another round of putting on hold, delaying my MY order until the latest speculative new feature or refresh is on my MY so I have the latest and greatest when I buy... 🥱
If I hear one rumor about heated and cooled cup holders then ill delay my order until 2023. The 4680 battery is nice but not nearly as useful as an ice cold Gatorade on a hot summer sunny day.

Last edited: