Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential M3 LR buyer questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned my M3 SR+ for 18 Months having bought it Off Plan with no Test Drive (at the time they offered a 7 day return policy) with not a single issue. Not everyone has been so lucky so distance to a Service Centre is a consideration but how much is a personal consideration, if you do take a Test Drive you will 99% buy one.

I love my M3LR. Have had it just over a year and (touch wood) no issues. I know of others who have had issues (rear screen replaced due to heater not working, squeaking suspension replaced, grinding steering column replaced) but then I have had issues with my wife's Lexus. I recall Elon saying the biggest barrier to Tesla ownership was distance from a service centre so he would be opening as many as he can.

In your particular circumstances chances are you buy one and have no issues. But if you do have an issue, or when it does come time to have a service, it's going to be a pain (unless mobile service will come to you, of course.)

Anyway, if you have a doubt I would recommend you do NOT test drive the Tesla because people almost invariably buy after a test drive. When I drive my wife's Lexus RX450h it feels like a tractor to me now.
Wife’s Lexus. Lucky devil ! My wife’s Outlander - now that’s a tractor ...and it always smells of wet dogs 😂

Reactions: AnthonyLR
My one year old SR+ has no rattles and paint/panel fit is great. Best car I have ever owned even though a previous one was a BM M3.
Not mentioned above unless I missed it but mobile Rangers will come to you for many issues rather than you going to a service centre, luckily I haven't needed either and love the fact that there is no annual service.
The washer level warning did come up recently so I guess that is a Tesla annual service!

Convince me otherwise!

Beware of the test drive. We had already pretty much decided that we were not going to buy a Model 3 but took advantage of the test drive just for the hell of it. Well, we both loved it so much we couldn't wait to get home to set up the online order! It depends on the frame of mind but if you are looking for something different this is it! Anyone with a technical background such as yourself is going to be particularly at risk!

I placed the order for my white/white M3 LR in mid-April last year then asked for a test drive - but COVID was in 'full flow' so nothing happening.

Was offered a test drive in mid-June and my reasoning for the test drive was to (a) find out what it was actually like to drive and (b) see if there were any obvious "showstoppers" to continuing with the purchase. The test drive was in an white LR but with black interior and the half-hour I was given wasn't really enough to get a full "feel" of the car but it was enough to confirm 'no showstoppers'. As a bonus, the test drive was from Southampton docks. My original collection point was going to be West Drayton (80 miles away) but after the test drive I was able to change collection to Southampton docks (5 miles away) instead. :)

I eventually was able to collect the car early September - the only "surprise" was that big white dash strip (don't recall seeing a white dash - it was wood grain in the black interior test car).
Got the tow hitch kit but not used it in anger yet.
Dunno if anything rattles - I'm deaf :(

Again, thanks for all the comments. A trend is emerging...
  1. Many but not all owners have had multiple visits to a service depot in the first year of ownership.
  2. The lack of a spare wheel and run-flats not fitted is (I admit rather surprisingly) not considered to be much of an issue.
  3. Test drives are dangerous, especially for techno-geeks like me that are likely to be smitten at first sight and throw all caution/logic to the wind!
My analysis, informed by your comments, is that owning a Tesla is a risk until there is a service depot closer to home than 2 hours drive away (even in a Model 3). On its own that might not stop me, especially after a test drive :cool:. I do, however, remain concerned about punctures and how, in such a rural area, what should have been a minor inconvenience could easily become a major problem, organising flat bed recovery and all that.

So I've decided to hold off for the time being but will certainly keep a look out for developments such as new depots opening closer to home. The idea hasn't gone away but I think now is not the time.

Once again, many thanks to you all for the feedback which has greatly helped me to marshal my thoughts.

I do, however, remain concerned about punctures and how, in such a rural area, what should have been a minor inconvenience could easily become a major problem, organising flat bed recovery and all that.

Unfortunately this looks like the way new cars from most manufacturers are going to be delivered now. You can organise a space-saver spare of course ... I just keep mine in the garage with the intention of getting it brought to me if I am relatively local. I can't envisage needing a flat bed pick up. On longer trips I can have it in the boot if I'm worried enough!

Unfortunately this looks like the way new cars from most manufacturers are going to be delivered now.
It has always been my assumption that one would either have a spare wheel as standard or run-flats as standard. Maybe that is just not so, in which case I think it's a bonkers development. Mind you we are talking about the same car makers that brought us keyless start and that has to be one of the best examples of a solution to a problem that nobody had, which created a multitude of new problems that nobody wanted!

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and Adopado
It has always been my assumption that one would either have a spare wheel as standard or run-flats as standard. Maybe that is just not so, in which case I think it's a bonkers development. Mind you we are talking about the same car makers that brought us keyless start and that has to be one of the best examples of a solution to a problem that nobody had, which created a multitude of new problems that nobody wanted!

Yes, you will read plenty of examples of new tech for the sake of new tech ... example Tesla wipers ... auto wipers were solved years ago right? Yes but instead Tesla can use one of their existing cameras pointing through the screen and use computer AI to analyse the screen rain spots ... and after multiple iterations and updates of software ... it's almost as good (but not quite) as what everyone had before! If you are ready to be frustrated by this stuff you would be in for an experience and a half! The good and the bad aspect of the Tesla is that it remains a work in progress. There are frequent software updates to add features (good) tweak features that could have been better (good) and inadvertently break some features that they introduced last time (bad)!!

I can echo everything thats been said. I'VE owned a string of top end 3 & 5 series BMWs, coming from a 330d xdrive to the model 3LR.
At town & city speeds my m3 is almost silent (roll on when the PWS becomes available), being so much quieter than the beamer.
At motorway speeds on old poor tarmac it is noisier but not intolerable or uncomfortable. On the newer super smooth tarmac I believe its much quietier than the beamer.
I had two issues with mine, a rear light cluster with moister & the front passenger door needed adjusting, both done with a visit to my local SC both of which could have been done by a ranger but I chose to visit the SC to give me the opportunity to drive it during lockdown.
My m3 is now 7 months old, has 3,350 mile on the clock, I charge (top up) at home & have used the supercharger network twice when travelling to the south coast via our daughters in Berkshire.
I can honestly say I've loved every second driving my m3 and will never go back to an ICE. As has been said, there's no middle road you'll either love it or dislike it, hopefully you'll love it.
If your really concerned about punctures get some runflats fitted & sell the Michelins.

LRs with the 19" wheel option were coming fitted with the Hankook S1 Evo3 which is a runflat tyre, so that might be something to consider if you're worried about punctures, but I just carry a foam/inflator kit.
I got one of these:
not sure how desperate would have to be to use it though and what speed / distance I would trust it over.

last time I got a puncture ( 10 years ago) it was on the back and I had shredded the tyre by the time I realised something was up and neither of these options would have done me much good then

I used to have an E300 and an then an A6. They were refined, but I wouldn't say the build quality was any better than the M3P I have. They were a teeny bit quieter on the motorway at cruise speed, but clattery growly things when accelerating, and the handling was way, way worse than the Tesla. Others don't like the 'vegan leather', but I find it softer and more pliant than the leather in both the cars, and the seats are waaaay more supportive.

Tyres - as others have said, your perception of risk, and the hazards of the environment will drive your perception of severity. In the beforetimes, I drove plenty, have never had a puncture, or let it bother me. In fact, the last puncture I had in ~60k miles motoring was in my E300 years ago (nail in inner-city car park). That I had to refill with tyre jollop, which made a right mess, took ages and only held pressure for a short while. Just buy a puncture kit, or buy w eheel and secure it in the boot.

Service - I live in Bristol, so don't have your geographical challenge. I have had the Ranger come to my house a couple of times for condensation in lights and a non-functional 3-pin charger. Nothing serious whatsoever, and in both cases the Ranger came to me. After that, you don't need a service, so even if you don't get a niggle or two when you get it, your whole-life faff will be vastly reduced, compared to legacy auto.

What I can tell you that the Tesla is more fun to drive, more responsive to my needs, more comfortable and cheaper than any of the previous cars.

Go for that test drive.

I got one of these:
not sure how desperate would have to be to use it though and what speed / distance I would trust it over.

last time I got a puncture ( 10 years ago) it was on the back and I had shredded the tyre by the time I realised something was up and neither of these options would have done me much good then
I have one of those too. Got a puncture between tread blocks in the middle of the tyre about a month ago on my LR and tried it out for the first time, but the plug just woudn't go in deep enough to stop the air escaping. I tried two of them, but it felt to me like the steel belt was preventing the point from going it far enough. Possibly if the puncture had been in a tread block, the plug would have worked? I still keep it in the car but if I was away from home I wouldn't trust the plugger alone to get me out of trouble.

when you think how much under-boot space they have these days, you'd think they could at least make it 'spare' size and shape to give you the option of carrying one, even if they don't want to supply one themselves
I think one deciding factor these days is that so few drivers are mechanically minded enough to even attempt to change a wheel themselves., If you're going to call someone out to do it for you they may as well bring the spare.

Reactions: MrBadger
Last year, when there was plentiful supply, I bought 2x 20" Michelin PS4 TO tyres and keep them in the garage. As a consumable, I knew they would be used but I bought mainly for the peace of mind they were readily available if I was local and needed in an emergency. My previous car came with a full size spare, so I have been nervous by the perceived fragility of the 20" wheels and tyres. Though, touch wood, no problems in the 13k miles so far. If going on a long journey and space is not a concern, I often just throw one of the spares in the boot. I also have a plug kit too. If you have the ability to store them, I highly recommend buying spare tyres before they are needed.

Living in South Wales; until recently Bristol was my closest Service Centre - though, wonderfully Cardiff is now open. Distance from the SC was an initial concern when I purchased - but my experience with mobile service has been great. I've had 4 visits in 17 months (2 for rear light condensation) and the service has been exceptional. More so that I wasn't inconvenienced by having to travel to a SC. I haven't had any serious issues that needed a SC visit, but with the service centre network expanding (Cardiff, being a good example) the coverage is only going to increase over time; what might be a long journey now, may be shorter in 6-12 months time.

After leaving my house today I got a message that one tire was low on pressure at 15 psi. I turned around and put the car on the drive. Using a spray bottle filled with water and a drop of fairy liquid I sprayed around the tire until I found some bubbles.
I thought, OK its a sunny day lets try the plug kit I bought for this eventuality: Emergency Car Van Motorcycle Tubeless Tyre Puncture Tire Repair Kit Strips Tool. | eBay

I managed to pull out a square steel nail of sorts and proceed to use the kit. All went well until pulling out the tool I scratched my hand on the drive!
I pumped up the tire to 20 psi and sprayed the repair but unfortunately there where bubbles... So I pulled out the rubber strips and started again. This time a put some glue into the hole and all around the rubber strip, and the eye of the needle. I waited 5 mins before inflating the tire and this time it did not leak!

I may get it professionally repaired in the next couple of days, just to be certain that it won't leak in the future.

So if you've got one of these kits, I recommend that you keep a small spray bottle of water/fairy liquid in the car and a pair of strong leather gloves.

The culprit... 2021-04-19 18_59_03-Clipboard.png

• Informative
Reactions: Obliter8 and Jez_GB